PDA

View Full Version : American Truck Historical Society National Convention

Errol Groff
06-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Yesterday's trip was to West Springfield MA to the National Convention of the ATHS. Took a slew of photos and posted them on the NEMES site as usual.

http://neme-s.org/index.htm

Also I added a note on our main page about a fellow in RI who is hoping to find his Dad's old Bush Hog tractor. Maybe someone can help?

Best regards to all,

sasquatch
06-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Errol, thank you for posting those sites,, great pics of some beautiful old trucks and equipment!!

bborr01
06-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Eroll,

Thanks for TAKING and posting all those photos. They reminded me of visiting my aunt and uncles farm in South Dakota a six years ago. My late uncle spent his last few years of his life restoring my aunts childhood farm, which had been in the family for several generations.

He had an old forty something flatbed farm truck that my aunts dad bought new and he had it restored to new condition along with a few farm tractors, the barns, the house and all. Uncle Art was a full Coronel in the army and was quite a guy.

Brian

Orrin
06-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Thank you for posting the pictures, Errol. As usual, your photography is superb.

If the ATHS "national" ever happens to be held nearby I heartily recommend folks go see it. In 1995 it was held in Spokane, Washington. It stood head and shoulders above any auto, steam or old-iron show I've ever attended.

That was in the days before digital photography caught on, so I was shooting film. I had about a dozen 36 exposure rolls along and wished I had brought more.

Next year the ATHS National Show will be held at Yakima, Washington. I urge everyone in the Pacific Northwest to go see it. It will be hard to beat the Spokane venue; but, you are bound to be impressed, anyhow.

Regards,
Orrin

Errol Groff
06-03-2012, 03:07 PM
You are all most welcome. When I go to shows I take photos of things that catch my eye but I do try to keep in mind to photograph things and details that night be of interest to others.

Running the website for NEMES gives me a good excuse to drive all over the country side! The hobby accounts for a large part of the 576,000 miles I put on the last two cars!

Errol

jdunmyer
06-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Some years ago, the annual show was held at the Dana Test Center, about 6 miles from here. As you guys have noted, this is a must-see event if you're anywhere close. Lotsa neat stuff: a twin-engine Ford, with 2 flathead V8s side-by-side, a regular factory-built semi tractor with a Buick V8 grafted onto the front of the thing. Looked very professional, and gave the guy a big boost when it came to hills. An electric truck from the early 1900s, and much, much more.

Sure wish I had some pics....:-(

sasquatch
06-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Re: Buick engine:

Years back there was an aftermarket kit to install/hookup a Buick Nailhead engine in ford Dump trucks, Think if i remember this was the old 322 Cu. Inch nailhead.

Saw a few of them years ago.

jdunmyer
06-03-2012, 09:22 PM
This Buick engine was grafted onto the front of the existing engine, connected through an air-operated clutch, IIRC. When the driver needed more power, he'd hit the switch(s) and bring the auxilary engine online.

sasquatch
06-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Wow, now that was quite a project!!! Must have been a bit lengthy set up!!:eek:

Another buick alteration that was tried years ago was reversing the intake and exhaust, (intake was forced in through the exhaust ports, and the exaust came out the top of the intake ports.)
I don;t have the link here, but just google:

"Reverse flow Buick" and it should pop up.

Apparently this was experimented with years ago on the Indy cars.