PDA

View Full Version : Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth

oil mac
06-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi Guys This week Queen Elizabeth 2nd, Has been on the British Throne for sixty years,

I feel many of you may join me in rejoicing for the years of service she has given to the United Kingdom, Bless her for all these years of dedicated service to the British people

goose
06-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Happy 60th !

and Rule Britannia !

Peter.
06-03-2012, 10:01 AM
I saw her last year, passed by in her car with no numberplates.

She didn't wave, God bless and save her.

gnm109
06-03-2012, 10:22 AM
She's a great lady and I do wish her the best!

That said, I'm still upset about the poor design of the main bearings on my 1948 Matchless single. I guess it's not her fault, though. Maybe John coud comment. Oh yeah, it leaked too, and the Lucas lighting system never worked. :D

John Stevenson
06-03-2012, 10:29 AM
That said, I'm still upset about the poor design of the main bearings on my 1948 Matchless single. :D

You had MAIN BEARINGS ?

You must have had the deluxe model then, colour me jealous :)

gnm109
06-03-2012, 10:34 AM
You had MAIN BEARINGS ?

You must have had the deluxe model then, colour me jealous :)

I guess so. They weren't very good, however. If ever there was a throwawy motorycle, that was it.

I didn't mean any disrespect to your Queen, but whenever I hear about England, I remember that Matchless and I admit, it does color my thoughts, :p

LHC
06-03-2012, 10:36 AM
She's a great lady and I do wish her the best!

That said, I'm still upset about the poor design of the main bearings on my 1948 Matchless single. I guess it's not her fault, though. Maybe John coud comment. Oh yeah, it leaked too, and the Lucas lighting system never worked. :D

LOL ! Here's wishing her all the best from Canada. I have a charming Raglan 5" lathe that I have started restoring and it seems she did a great job on the design of this one. I've become quite close to the UK as a result of this lathe but it's the quirky UK expressions that really entertain me. I've even met up with a wonderful chap in Liverpool that's been assisting me with the teardown phase so I don't ruin anything in the process. But the expressions I have come across are priceless. Here's a few that come to mind -

Time for some kip
A wee bit of dram
Billy no mates

gnm109
06-03-2012, 10:41 AM
LOL ! Here's wishing her all the best from Canada. I have a charming Raglan 5" lathe that I have started restoring and it seems she did a great job on the design of this one. I've become quite close to the UK as a result of this lathe but it's the quirky UK expressions that really entertain me. I've even met up with a wonderful chap in Liverpool that's been assisting me with the teardown phase so I don't ruin anything in the process. But the expressions I have come across are priceless. Here's a few that come to mind -

Time for some kip
A wee bit of dram
Billy no mates

The manual for that Matchless, which I still have somewhere, had some good ones, too.

Gudgeon pin = Wrist pin

Waste = Oily rag for cleaning parts

Paraffiin = Kerosene

Dope = Alcohol racing fuel

Purchase = Leverage on a wrench

Earth = Electrical Ground

Mcgyver
06-03-2012, 10:46 AM
please tell her congrats and that I'm really very happy with my DSG

Purchase = Leverage on a wrench

in finance, what we call leverage the Brits refer to as gearing, ergo purchase=gearing.

lakeside53
06-03-2012, 11:08 AM
You non-Brits have it wrong.

Purchase = leverage on wench.;)

A.K. Boomer
06-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Iv got some issue's with the "queen"
I know she's at an all time high in popularity and la de da that's great but it's not going to stop me from speaking out,

Big Ben is Big Ben ------- u don't mess with that... why would you want to mess with that? damn that would make me upset if I was a brit.

jep24601
06-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Sorry Oil Mac - I'm a regicidist.

lazlo
06-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Congratulations! She's an inspiration for ceremonial figureheads everywhere! :D

aboard_epsilon
06-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Iv got some issue's with the "queen"
I know she's at an all time high in popularity and la de da that's great but it's not going to stop me from speaking out,

Big Ben is Big Ben ------- u don't mess with that... why would you want to mess with that? damn that would make me upset if I was a brit.

The clock was called the westminster clock ..and nicknamed big ben after its biggest bell.

it will now be called The Elizabeth Tower...but still have nickname Big Ben.

as far as i know

all the best.markj

Alistair Hosie
06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I am against the undemocratic monarchy and I wish those paracites would all come to an end .I am not a royalist but a republican.And wish to see the system finished with can you imagine (queen camilla the homebreaker).I wish them no physical ill will but cannot accept the total lack of democracy the institiution brings. All hangers on, and doing rather well too she has ten million in fur coats she never uses whilst we have many poor people here who suffer and struggle to survive so sorry dan no drinks on me this time unless she drinks urine like here mother did every morning.

Forrest Addy
06-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Seems like only yeaersay when I was in fifth grade. We each got a kid newspaper "My Weekly Reader" contaning news articles intended I suppose to lead us into awareness of the adust world.

I remember one whole issue was taken up by the coronation of Queen Elizabeth and the extent of the British Empire. I recall being a little shocked that a king would die and have to be replaced.

Anyway, so far as I know Queen Elizabeth has reigned 60 years without putting a foot wrong. Her family is another matter but isn't everyone's?

spope14
06-03-2012, 05:19 PM
You have to admit, a lady who has been a world leader that long and respected by both her countrymen and the world, that is noteworthy. During WWII, she could have run to the countryside and safety, but chose to remain in London and take shelter in the subways with her fellow Londoner's as well.

Worthy of respect for sure in all ways.

lazlo
06-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Anyway, so far as I know Queen Elizabeth has reigned 60 years without putting a foot wrong.

She didn't handle Princess Di, the divorce, and her death well at all, IMHO...

lazlo
06-03-2012, 05:34 PM
During WWII, she could have run to the countryside and safety, but chose to remain in London and take shelter in the subways with her fellow Londoner's as well.

Uhhh, are you sure about that? QE II was 14 at the start of the War, and she spent the whole war in Windsor Castle. The King and Queen stayed at Buckingham Palace.

She visited London after several of the heavy bombings, but I've never heard/read of her taking refuge in the subways during a bombing?

sasquatch
06-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Prince Charles was just here for a visit with Camilla, great guy, Limo broke down he climbed underneath and changed the starter in no time flat, but he never brought back my nice 9/16 i lent him.:(

aboard_epsilon
06-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Prince Charles was just here for a visit with Camilla, great guy, Limo broke down he climbed underneath and changed the starter in no time flat, but he never brought back my nice 9/16 i lent him.:(

You dont know how close you are ..the queen was a driver/ vehicle mechanic during ww2.

all the best.markj

sasquatch
06-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Prince Charles, Or "Chuck" as we call him , told us he's taking over his mother's shop, and she DOES have a "Bridgeport" in there.
Claims she just loves it, one of the best machines she's ever owned, and has rebuilt it twice.

aboard_epsilon
06-03-2012, 06:21 PM
NO ...she has to have had one of these

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/artieonedge/RoyalShaper.jpg

all the best.markj

oil mac
06-03-2012, 06:40 PM
what else would the queen want to use but a Royal, Excellent machine, that is why i have one:D
Still given the money + space i would really like a big Cinncinnati or a nice Butler!:)

John Stevenson
06-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Want something better than a Bridgy ?

Try a Huron.

http://www.west-point.co.uk/App_Files/Photos/99b68_HURON_KU4.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weNKX68N9S

Immensely powerful, rigid and have massive travels.
The NU 6 can travel 27" in the Y axis which is far larger than the bed width so you can reach right over the edge for larger bits.

No saddle means it's very rigid.
you can work it from any side front or rear.

Mike Burch
06-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Oil Mac, I suspect the Queen has a quite a few nice Butlers too!

lazlo
06-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Try a Huron.

Good Lord, that's an ugly machine!

If we're unzipping and measuring, how about a Cincinnati #4. An elegant, 7 1/2 ton brute:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cinn1.jpg

John Stevenson
06-03-2012, 07:21 PM
How much droop on the that table when it fully towards you ?

Forrest Addy
06-03-2012, 07:36 PM

Not much. I used to run a Cincinatti nearly the same vintage back in the day. It was maybe 15 years old when I used it. After 8/5 usage in that time it was still pretty tight. I dialed all over steam chest covers and the like but neven noticed any droop or lost motion.

It was a monster to run. You needed arms seven feet long; that or track shoes.

It had two elevating screws under the knee. Imagine the timing hassle when they erected it at the factory. I bet that Huron with what looks like three was even worse..

It aint a machine from Blighty but even HM has to admit us colonists done good when we produced this one.

Grind Hard
06-03-2012, 07:40 PM

Try a Huron.

http://www.west-point.co.uk/App_Files/Photos/99b68_HURON_KU4.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weNKX68N9S

The NU 6 can travel 27" in the Y axis which is far larger than the bed width so you can reach right over the edge for larger bits.

No saddle means it's very rigid.
you can work it from any side front or rear.

So what do all the levers DO on this machine?

A.K. Boomer
06-03-2012, 07:47 PM

There's no droop --- it creates it's own gravitational field (along with weather systems)

If there's other "hurons" in the room it will quickly collect them like snails --- Were talking USA buddy boy...;) (land of the "wet noodle" BP)

gnm109
06-03-2012, 07:58 PM
I am against the undemocratic monarchy and I wish those paracites would all come to an end .I am not a royalist but a republican.And wish to see the system finished with can you imagine (queen camilla the homebreaker).I wish them no physical ill will but cannot accept the total lack of democracy the institiution brings. All hangers on, and doing rather well too she has ten million in fur coats she never uses whilst we have many poor people here who suffer and struggle to survive so sorry dan no drinks on me this time unless she drinks urine like here mother did every morning.

I don't klnow why you dislike a monarchy. We have a king here in the US and, according to him, everything is fine. :)

lazlo
06-03-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't klnow why you dislike a monarchy. We have a king here in the US and, according to him, everything is fine. :)

We have a King -- he's Lloyd Blankfein.

Forrest Addy
06-03-2012, 08:56 PM
We have a King -- he's Lloyd Blankfein.

No, we have a plutocracy but that a topic for another forum.

lazlo
06-03-2012, 09:04 PM
No, we have a plutocracy but that a topic for another forum.

Good point Forrest. Same King though ;)

doorknob
06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
As a stamp collecting kid in (maybe) 1960, I'd guess that half of the stamps in my worldwide album carried her likeness.

At the Tall Ships festival during the bicentennial celebration in Boston in July 1976, she walked past no more than two feet in front of me. She looked a lot like she did on the stamps, although noticeably a bit older.

I retain a certain warmth for and appreciation of many things British, from the language to the Beatles to Dr. Who and beyond. So I'd like to congratulate her on reaching this milestone. But then what do I know - I'm just a clueless American, after all...

mike4
06-04-2012, 04:15 AM
Sixty years on the throne , the mind boggles.

I to am a republican too, the bowing and scraping never was my thing.

Michael

Circlip
06-04-2012, 06:22 AM
No doubt all the Repulicans in the UK will be working away merryly and no having Monday and Tuesday as a forelock doffers holiday?

Just shows how tolerant our Monarchial country is, many "Republicans" are dying in their countries for having the audacity to expect free speech.

Regards Ian.

philbur
06-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Itís probably because the last English Queen that when by the name of Elizabeth had the Queen of Scotland (Mary) decapitated. Neither of them were amused, particularly Mary.:eek:

Phil:)

A.K. Boomer
06-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Which one took a liking to horses?

Machtool
06-04-2012, 08:01 AM
No doubt all the Repulicans in the UK will be working away merryly and no having Monday and Tuesday as a forelock doffers holiday?
Years ago - 1999 we had a referendum about a republic. It got to with in 45% I'd call that about a half. For years, I've given the Friday afternoon address, prior to Queens Birthday Public Holiday weekend.

That if any of the blokes that voted for an Aussie Republic, wanted to forego the Queens Birthday Public Holiday and turn up for work. The door would be open. Not once have I seen some one take me up on that offer.

Interestingly or boringly enough Queens Birthday long week end down here is next weekend. Its not her real birthday as she was born in May.

Point I was trying to make, there's any amount down here that would vote against her, but little that would give up a public holiday.

Phil.

flylo
06-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Long live the Queen! She's truly an Amazing woman.
I too have an Elizabeth & she's been on my thrown 30+ years.

Machtool
06-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Are you actually aware of that sig that accompanies each and every one of your posts?

Seems to me, a simple 7 word response like that gets lost real quick in the 59 word diatribe of the sig? Especially if your expected to read it 5701 times, OVER AND OVER ON EACH AND EVERY POST OF YOURS.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always gotten.

Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.

Success walks hand in hand with failure.

Delay is the deadliest form of denial.

Ignorance is bliss - but only for awhile - then you got holy hell to pay.

The beatings will continue - until the morale improves...

Can anyone remember the point about the horses after reading that epic?

gnm109
06-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Itís probably because the last English Queen that when by the name of Elizabeth had the Queen of Scotland (Mary) decapitated. Neither of them were amused, particularly Mary.:eek:

Reason enough. Worst of all, I understand that it took a couple of chops to get her head off. (I read that somewhere). It was hard to get good help even back then.

lazlo
06-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Elizabeth had the Queen of Scotland (Mary) decapitated.

Context Phil :)

Mary, Queen of Scots, was Catholic, and got involved in the Northern Uprising during the English Reformation. So Elizabeth put her under house arrest (in various castles -- not exactly Federal Prison ;)). Mary then got involved in a plot to assassinate Elizabeth, and was tried and convicted of treason.

Rustybolt
06-04-2012, 11:54 AM
God bless her. I watched part of the flotilla thingy yesterday. I was impressed by the "Dunkirk boats" and the Thames barges.

Has she publicly denied being responsible for Lucas Electric? A dark day for the monarchy to be sure.

A.K. Boomer
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Don't totally blast Lucas - without their R&D we would not have the intermittent wiper and strobe lights for disco's...

platypus2020
06-04-2012, 04:26 PM

wasn't that Catherine the Great of Russia??

Alistair Hosie
06-04-2012, 04:34 PM
I don't know maybe it was the queen after all Anne looks just like one:D
I remember when we were at primary school I was aged about eight we were all marched out to the opening of a new church nearby in a poor area of glasgow we were made to line up and wave flags as one of the queens cousins passed by in a car anyone not waving of shouting with glee long live the queen was physically beaten it was allowed in those days so much for democracy eh? and that's the god's truth Alistair

sasquatch
06-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Alistair,, what you just posted here about your'e school days, doesn't surprise me one bit!!:o

Peter.
06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Point I was trying to make, there's any amount down here that would vote against her, but little that would give up a public holiday.

Phil.

Funny that, because when it came on the news that the Duke of Edinburgh had been taken into hospital again, I was pondering the possibility of another free holiday this year if he pops his clogs and the stress is too much for HRH too.

Alistair Hosie
06-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Wishful thinking Peter eh?:D Alistair

John Stevenson
06-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Funny that, because when it came on the news that the Duke of Edinburgh had been taken into hospital again, I was pondering the possibility of another free holiday this year if he pops his clogs and the stress is too much for HRH too.

I wonder what he's doing with his bike ?

philbur
06-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Isn't a good beating the standard Glaswegian answer to every situation. You can't blame the Queen for your own dis-functional society.

anyone not waving of shouting with glee long live the queen was physically beaten it was allowed in those days so much for democracy eh? and that's the god's truth Alistair

A.K. Boomer
06-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Are you actually aware of that sig that accompanies each and every one of your posts?

No really? geeze thanks:rolleyes:

Seems to me, a simple 7 word response like that gets lost real quick in the 59 word diatribe of the sig? Especially if your expected to read it 5701 times, OVER AND OVER ON EACH AND EVERY POST OF YOURS.

you should have quit at just 5,000 - then you wouldn't have gotten your panties in such a wad...

Can anyone remember the point about the horses after reading that epic?

I would hardly think not - esp. if reading over 5,700 times,
Do yourself a favor next time Einstein - you see that little barrier between the post and the sig - yeah that one -- that's right - just stop there,, have a nice day and hope you learned something :)
maybe the last two sigs helped u out ??? tootles Mate...

oil mac
06-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Never believed this post would take us from Elizabeth R to a nice illustration from a catalogue showing my little Royal shaper
& finally to the nice big Huron, I can only say it looks as nice &good as the red ,white & blue cake i saw today in a tearoom:eek:

What would i not give to own that big Huron! Mechanical celebrations (multiple!) I could put my Elliott 00 on its table &machine it into cast -iron &steel swarf &cuttings, Deep Joy at the thought

A factory near me had a similar Huron, It is a nice &powerful machine, another concern had big Cincis lovely machines

A.K. Boomer
06-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah but the hurons are not big enough to create their own weather systems..

there's those damn signature posts again UGGGHHHHH --- Machtools right - their following me around everywhere....

.RC.
06-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Err the Huron is French....If it had any say it would send the monarchy to the Bastille. :D

Tel
06-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi Guys This week Queen Elizabeth 2nd, Has been on the British Throne for sixty years,

I feel many of you may join me in rejoicing for the years of service she has given to the United Kingdom, Bless her for all these years of dedicated service to the British people

Yes indeed, hearty concurrence from me! To those of us of a .... ahem ... certain vintage (I'm a '47 model) she has been a life long constant in a sometimes crazy world!

lazlo
06-04-2012, 08:27 PM
You can't blame the Queen for your own dis-functional society.

That's an ironic statement on so many levels :)

The Queen is symbolic of old Imperial England, and Alistair -- a commoner and child, was being beaten for not bowing down to her. ;)

TGTool
06-04-2012, 09:46 PM

Yes, read that too. Bladder or urinary tract infection. And did you hear that his urologist was about to get his license pinched?

Yeah, he was in trouble with the peers.

Mcostello
06-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Just as a bit of an aside there is an early video of Mary, Queen of Scots actually getting the axe. It was on the Scottish library internet whatever its called. I think I found it from the Mig welding forum. It was not paticuarly gruesome, but it was final.

lakeside53
06-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Hmmm... guaranteed to be genuine. What date was film invented?

sasquatch
06-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Yeah, it MUST be an EARLY video!!:D

oldtiffie
06-04-2012, 11:22 PM
what else would the queen want to use but a Royal, Excellent machine, that is why i have one:D
Still given the money + space i would really like a big Cinncinnati or a nice Butler!:)

All of Royalty has a butler - why should you miss out.

oilmac with a "gentleman's gentleman" - there's something to ponder.

oldtiffie
06-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Sixty years on the throne , the mind boggles.

I to am a republican too, the bowing and scraping never was my thing.

Michael

Mike.

If royalty were to disappear tomorrow, those synchophants who bow and scrape etc. will hardly notice as they will just change target/focus ie to where they see there own best interests (social standing et al) lie.

There is any amount of instances of it reported in the media - and not a "royal" in sight (usually politicians, clergy and "celebrities" and the like).

philbur
06-05-2012, 01:44 AM
By whom was he being beaten and on whose instruction?

It's even more ironic that some Republics actually shoot their school children when they don't bow to their President's will.:eek:

That's an ironic statement on so many levels :)

The Queen is symbolic of old Imperial England, and Alistair -- a commoner and child, was being beaten for not bowing down to her. ;)

oldtiffie
06-05-2012, 04:18 AM
Odd that.

I had the great misfortune to go a very tough (Priests and Nuns) Jesuit Catholic school from about 1942 to 1947 in a tough under-priveleged (deprived?) area (slum) and got the daylights thrashed out of me if I was even seen or said to be seen talking to kids from the "State" schools who as non-Catholic and whose families were said or seen to be supporters of the dreaded monachy were thereby branded heathens and pagans.

We taught to hate them - literally - and it was endless religion - week-ends included.

We were and to a large extent still are ruled from Rome and to a lesser extent from London - with no recourse.

I had nothing against the "pagan "prods"" themselves at all, but I sure was not impressed with having our country founded as a British penal colony (and colonies) and then somehow having the populace being loyal royalists and fighting British "Empire" wars at great and pretty well senseless loss - mainly under British rule and under British generals.

While I have no ill will toward the present Monarch I cannot say I like the thought of any of her off-spring getting the job - but that is for the Brits to decide.

I do like the Westminster form or Government and Common Law upon which the Australian Constitution is based - but I don't like heirarchial rule or government - and sure don't like the next likely candidate.

"Royal Family" and "Royal Pagaenty" leave me stone cold as does "religion" or anything that may be a form of institutionalised "brain-washing".

Tel
06-05-2012, 04:41 AM
'but I sure was not impressed with having our country founded as a British penal colony (and colonies).... '

Strewth mate, were you about then? I'm impressed!

Still 'ER can look after 'ERself, so don't take her too cheap

http://inlinethumb64.webshots.com/48575/2023768580105506259S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2023768580105506259fMxkrA)

oldtiffie
06-05-2012, 05:07 AM
I've got a fair idea how those military "unposed spotaneous" pics are done.

The Queen/Monarch is also the heirarchial head (Supreme Governor) of the world-wide Church of England which has a few skeletons in a few cupboards accumulated over quite a long time.

So the Queen/Monarch is the heirarchial Head of State and head of the Church of England.

As I said I don't mind and quite like and admire the Queen but I don't like the next in line or some of his siblings.

There seems to be a great fondness for the Queen in Australia but I am not at all sure that that fondness for the Queen rules out OZ being a monarchy (to the chagrin of the Republicans). It seems that the chances of a Republic will grow when the Quees dies and Charles (and Camilla?) assume the throne.

We will just have to wait and see.

I hope the Queen has a happy and well justified Jubillee celebration as I doubt that many will begrudge it to/of her.

Alistair Hosie
06-05-2012, 05:43 AM
tiffe said
but that is for the Brits to decide
Oh no it's not we have no say.Alistair

Alistair Hosie
06-05-2012, 05:50 AM
You need to read my post more carefully children were commonly beaten in those days by their teachers for the most unlikely reasons. We were beaten as lazlo said for not being willing enough to show our apreciation for something at eight years we didn't understand.Also you have obviously never been to Glasgow as it is a very lovely city and very safe. If you want viloence go elsewhere.It's not the glasgow of early post war that it was.Alistair

oldtiffie
06-05-2012, 06:13 AM
tiffe said
but that is for the Brits to decide
Oh no it's not we have no say.Alistair

Oops.

My apologies Alister. The Ulster and Welsh people wouldn't have been too pleased with my cock-up either.

philbur
06-05-2012, 06:35 AM
I guess you haven't been to a recent (local Derby) football match then.

And I suppose the local football supporters who tried to asassinate the opposing team's manager by blowing him up was just a bit of jape by Glaswegian standard.:eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1379601/Celtic-parcel-bomb-Walter-Smith-laments-worst-week-Old-Firm-history.html

Also you have obviously never been to Glasgow as it is a very lovely city and very safe. If you want viloence go elsewhere.It's not the glasgow of early post war that it was.Alistair

lazlo
06-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Hmmm... guaranteed to be genuine. What date was film invented?

Hey, it's on Youtube -- it has to be legitimate! :)

lazlo
06-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Still 'ER can look after 'ERself, so don't take her too cheap

http://inlinethumb64.webshots.com/48575/2023768580105506259S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2023768580105506259fMxkrA)

Oh, for God's sake -- the rifle is in a benchrest!

Our women really know how to handle a rifle, the right way :p

http://iranpoliticsclub.net/photos/sarah-palin3/images/Sarah%20Palin%20rifle%20shooting.jpg

A.K. Boomer
06-05-2012, 08:15 AM
That's one of the best all time pictures iv seen of the queen - lol

What a strange "tradition" it all is --- just reminds me of medieval times,

I would not want to be a "royal" anymore than Id want to be a hollywood movie star...
Can you imagine being born into that? what a nightmare.

your entire life being scrutinized till the day you kack.

And personally im glad as a mere "peasant" Im not forced to buy box office tickets to watch that "particular" show -- not a big movie buff anyways.. but when I am I at least like a change of characters from time to time...

Still - I like listening to both sides and gaining perspective about it all,

but as an American I will continue to call big ben big ben and if I were a Brit I would make damn sure I did...
It's little subtleties like that - that would really stick in my craw...

let the people breath, and if your going to try and pull a facade like the monarchy off get to know your boundaries and don't push it too far or inflict the people with nonsense, or anymore nonsense that's already being inflicted upon them... (we all have our battles that way)
All in the name of "keeping up the appearances" - boy that would get old in a hurry... Not being mean or unfair - just being honest - and im tipping a pint with Mr. Hosie on this one...

Still - looking forward to watching the upcoming olympics and catching a little of the British flair, but don't plan on watching the opening ceremonies due to all the "formalities" Im sure will be present... That kind of stuff is just hard for me to take...
Id much rather watch a Ferrari rapping out at close to 20,000 RPM's doing doughnuts and making people cough on a bunch of tire smoke..:D

Edit; Lazlo - iv for the most part been in agreement with you up until recently --- benchrest or not the Queen looks focused - serious and down right badass --------- and Palin? not a brain in her head.... Big diff between badass and scary,
why are you trying to embarrass us? lol

lazlo
06-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Edit; Lazlo - iv for the most part been in agreement with you up until recently --- benchrest or not the Queen looks focused - serious and down right badass --------- and Palin? not a brain in her head.... Big diff between badass and scary, why are you trying to embarrass us? lol

Sorry AK, I thought you'd know my sense of humor by now. :p

That is a very cool picture of the Queen!

aboard_epsilon
06-05-2012, 11:48 AM
You need to read my post more carefully children were commonly beaten in those days by their teachers for the most unlikely reasons. We were beaten as lazlo said for not being willing enough to show our apreciation for something at eight years we didn't understand.Also you have obviously never been to Glasgow as it is a very lovely city and very safe. If you want viloence go elsewhere.It's not the glasgow of early post war that it was.Alistair

Yup ..you either had Jean Broddie.....or the pocket meccano teacher that used to say "put it away.....laddie....."

All the best..markj

MaxHeadRoom
06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
That's one of the best all time pictures iv seen of the queen - lol

What a strange "tradition" it all is --- just reminds me of medieval times,

For 550 years the City of London has presented the Queen (or King) with six horseshoes and a bag of sixty-one Nails.

I have never found out what she does with them?:confused:
Max.:)

lakeside53
06-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Just think what they would sell for on Ebay:D

lakeside53
06-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Queen looks focused - serious and down right badass --------- and Palin? not a brain in her head.... Big diff between badass and...

Hey!... one looks better in a T-shirt. Sometimes you don't want brains:D

A.K. Boomer
06-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Sorry AK, I thought you'd know my sense of humor by now. :p

That is a very cool picture of the Queen!

Thank god - I thought we lost you for a second but you did cover your butt with the stick out tongue face...

Good point lakeside -- just keep her away from firearms, burnt out matches, and sharp can openers...

gwilson
06-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I think the English enjoy having their queen,and like having someone to look up to. certainly being the monarch these days would be like having to sit through church every day of the week,listening to LONG sermons. I don't envy their jobs.

The way some of her family has acted,she may well be the last of the true monarchs,too. She has kept herself out of the gossip columns,and remained above the fray her whole life. She deserves respect for that. Her life is not an easy one,unless you have endless patience for the daily things she has to sit through and remain charming for. One ceremony after another,endlessly.Hope this makes sense.

oil mac
06-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Everybody seems to be getting pissed off by the thought we all spend a lot of time bowing &scraping to the Queen, nothing could be further from the truth ! The only time one gives a bow to her majesty is upon the very rare occasion, should one be introduced to her, Believe me she is a really nice soul who puts one at ease

The queen has been a beacon of calm for sixty years now, O K nothing is perfect not even the monarchy system, But, and it is a big but, She has been an inspirational beacon of calm &stability in a world in which we (The peasants) are more &more being, hectored , bullied, conned, ,&otherwise decieved and cheated big time by a clique of totally discredited and disgraced members of parliament &scurrulous bankers who dont give a rats backside for the present/future welfare of the British Isles &its indiginous citizens.

One can only think with a shudder upon the horrors which would be visited upon us by a presidential system ruled by the likes of Thatcher, Blair, Brown, Salmond orThe present incumbents in office, should a system give them unlimited power &authority, Or would everyone prefer a world where, given further Chinese imperialistic expansionist tendencies find ourselves with head down on the pavement of a morning kai -cheeing to a Chinese army officer Think on Tibet!

I started this post as a tribute & respectful admiration to a gracious lady of honour &her sixty glorious years

lakeside53
06-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Good point lakeside -- just keep her away from firearms, burnt out matches, and sharp can openers...

Of course... but a few years ago she bought back this image:D

http://www.dirtybutton.com/pictures/1121-wish-these-were-brains-shirt/

lazlo
06-05-2012, 01:45 PM
The peasants) are more &more being, hectored , bullied, conned, ,&otherwise decieved and cheated big time by a clique of totally discredited and disgraced members of parliament &scurrulous bankers who dont give a rats backside for the present/future welfare of the British Isles &its indiginous citizens.

Wow, we have that on this side of the Pond too! I thought we had the Lion's Share of the scurrilous bankers! :)

Alistair Hosie
06-05-2012, 02:33 PM
There are millions of people LIKE MYSELF who still are convinced Diana was executed and that is not going to go away.Charles was screwing park your bowels on his wedding day now you may say that's the way they have done things for hundreds of years but in a mdern setting nobody really buys into that idea anymore. Wrong is wrong.She Dian that is really loved Charles and he treated her disdainfully from before he even married her is that the kind of monarchy we should look up to.I think not.It seems she was murdered because she was getting too close to 2 muslims in her life dodie al fayhed and I think she was pregnent by him a muslim and that would never have been allowed.She said she was about to make a statement on the following monday which would rock the world and she didn't make it to monday.She was also told about ten months before here death she would be assasinated in a tunnel too all revealed by her butler Paul Burrell. Whether your a believer in this or not too many things don't quite add up regarding her death books have been written about it however she was treated shabbily before and directly after her death by the queen also who refused to allow the flag to be raised to half mast and only did so when the public outcry beacame to much.Alistair

A.K. Boomer
06-05-2012, 03:20 PM
While Mr. Hosies reply reads somewhat like a quick trip down the shopping market tabloid checkout line I believe that the real truth lies somewhere in between - and that my friends is a ton of corruption...

Don't let those bright white gloves fool you --- there's no doubt they have a little crimson on the business side of them... (which makes her all the more badass but still)

Alistair Hosie
06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
One can only think with a shudder upon the horrors which would be visited upon us by a presidential system ruled by the likes of Thatcher, Blair, Brown, Salmond orThe present incumbents in office, should a system give them unlimited power &authority,

Dan at least you could get rid of the bad ones every four years not like that with our monarchy they can get away with blue murder and we still need to keep them without questions or answers.for evermore .Surely that's the main difference.Alistair

Asquith
06-05-2012, 05:23 PM
I was going to keep out of this, as Iím normally a disinterested observer in these matters, but I have to say that I agree with every word that Oil Mac has written.

I wonít waste too much time contradicting some of the vitriolic paranoia representing an alternative view, but clearly much of the anti-monarchist propaganda propagated by the Murdoch press has found a receptive audience.

Itís true that some members of the royal family are best kept under wraps, but I have to say that Charles has earned respect from many whoíve come into contact with him. A friend, who has had to show many politicians round a nuclear power plant, tells of a startling contrast between Prince Charles and practically every politician heís dealt with. Charles showed a genuine interest in the plant and the people (to the frustration of his aides trying to keep him to a timetable!). This was in complete contrast to the vast majority of politicians, whose interest typically lasted as long as the cameras were on them.

The royal family have been criticised here for being privileged parasites. Who here would swap places with them? Your life wouldnít be your own, youíd always have to be on your guard, and youíd have to spend countless hours being polite to boring people or obnoxious plutocrats.

I read that the royal family currently costs the British people 72p ($1.10) per head per year. For that we - and a number of fellow Commonwealth countries - get a respected head of state. Now imagine if we went for an Ďelectedí head of state. Consider the list of names offered by Oil Mac, and ponder how the rightly-cynical British public would choose between one self-serving egoist and another? And if anyone thinks a change would save money, well consider the cost of all the new infrastructure that would accompany the changes. There have been some good examples in recent years of how deeply politicians can thrust their hands in our pockets to give themselves accommodation suited to their own ideas of status.

As for changes to the way the monarchy works, I understand that any changes require the unanimous agreement of those nations for which the monarch is head of state.

Of course, if we ended up with a monarch whose face didn't fit, well, it would be easy enough for the Establishment to dispose of them, wouldn't it?:rolleyes:

aboard_epsilon
06-05-2012, 05:45 PM
They may cost the public that much ..But i reckon they make Britain a lot of money, more money than they cost ...imagine what a boring place it would be without them ..no one would want to visit and spend their money here.

Many who visit Scotland would not do so, if they couldn't visit London first .so they are helping your country indirectly Alistair .

The teachers who hit you, probably just disliked royalty as well ..but liked hitting kids.

All the best......markj

Tel
06-05-2012, 06:20 PM
For 550 years the City of London has presented the Queen (or King) with six horseshoes and a bag of sixty-one Nails.

I have never found out what she does with them?:confused:
Max.:)

I can see horseshoes and nails being useful; but .......
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303640104577436521487146622.html

Arcane
06-05-2012, 08:10 PM
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/front-porch/268184d1338830445-jokes-no-not-me-good-qe2-60_years_on_thethrone..jpg

oldtiffie
06-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I do wonder about UK/England putting on an extavagansa like the Jubillee at great cost - with the Olympics due shortly, the country in recession and under a severe austerity program with no end in sight and things no better in Europe.

There will more of the Royal hoop-la when the Queen and Phillip die (they can't go on for-ever and it can't be too long) and the next Coronation (Charles and Camilla?) due after the Queen dies.

I do sometimes wonder if some of the Brits still think they have an Empire on which the sun (still?) never sets and the Royal Navy no longer rules the waves.

The Royal Navy (RN) is the naval warfare service branch of the British Armed Forces. Tracing its origins to the 16th century, it is the oldest service branch and is known as the Senior Service. From the end of the 17th century until well into the 20th century it was the most powerful navy in the world,[1] playing a key part in establishing the British Empire as the dominant world power.

The Royal Navy operates a fleet of technologically sophisticated ships including an aircraft carrier (though without any fixed-wing aircraft), a helicopter carrier, two landing platform docks, four ballistic missile submarines (which maintain the UK's nuclear deterrent), seven nuclear fleet submarines, six guided missile destroyers, 13 frigates, 15 mine-countermeasure vessels and 24 patrol vessels. As of April 2012, there were 79 commissioned ships in the Royal Navy, plus 19 commissioned ships of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) which also contribute to the Royal Navy's available sea-going assets. The RFA primarily serves to replenish Royal Navy warships at sea, and also augments the Royal Navy's amphibious warfare capabilities through its three Bay-class landing ship dock vessels.

No matter how bad things seem to be you can count on the English to be waving the Union Jack and singing "Land of Hope and Glory" and "Pomp and Circumstance"

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&sclient=psy-ab&q=land+of+hope+and+glory+lyrics&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&oq=land+of+hope+&aq=1z&aqi=g-z2g2&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.1.0i3l2j0l2.6474.9711.0.15843.13.8.0.5.5 .0.325.2252.2-7j1.8.0...0.0.7rj0qWO3zlM&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ab6ab5064522d809&biw=1280&bih=545

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&sclient=psy-ab&q=pomp+and+circumstance&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&oq=pomp+and+circumstance&aq=0z&aqi=g-z1g3&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.0.0i3j0l3.42732.53505.1.61175.49.18.0.11 .11.4.364.4006.2-10j4.16.0...0.0.casymVCOSmI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ab6ab5064522d809&biw=1280&bih=545

Perhaps they are going to need that stiff upper lip and all that old chap.

Tel
06-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Still, better the stiff upper lip than moping about all doom and gloom. In your darkest hour - throw a party! Might not solve your problems, but it cheers you up no end!

A.K. Boomer
06-06-2012, 12:12 AM
All I know is my buddy Mr. Hosie isn't happy (maybe I should rephrase that?)

If someone asked me who's the nicest guy on this forum I would have to say Alistair ------------ yet for some reason lets just say he went to sit down and his kilt hasn't settled in the most comfortable place...:confused:

Now most everyone will be focused on what he was wearing underneath - if any ---------- I really don't think we need to go there. :o

Im saying that point is irrelevant - here we have this guy who generally gets along with everybody (ceptin course the queen - catz out o thee gunny sac now and ain't no going back on that one):p

So im just saying don't take his beef lightly ---- he actually rarely complains so there's gotta be something there... (even if its a mild case of dementia with a side order of truth)

Im really at odds with this one - more confused about the queen than when this entire mess got started...
Thought a few pints would clear things up a little but only made them froggier... (sorry - french term):(

oldtiffie
06-06-2012, 01:28 AM
They may cost the public that much ..But i reckon they make Britain a lot of money, more money than they cost ...imagine what a boring place it would be without them ..no one would want to visit and spend their money here.

Many who visit Scotland would not do so, if they couldn't visit London first .so they are helping your country indirectly Alistair .

The teachers who hit you, probably just disliked royalty as well ..but liked hitting kids.

All the best......markj

Mark, if I understand how its all funded it is from the Government (read: taxpayer) purse - perhaps with borrowed funds (more deficit??) and while the Government might re-coup some of it in taxes, the majority of the visitor spend" will go to retail, and some large enterprises (read: banks etc).

If that's the case the Government is financing or subsidising business at the expense of the tax-payer who is left "out in the cold" - again (still?).

But of course, the Goverment and the higher orders knows what's best for those in the lower orders who would not vote Tory anyway.

And you can believe that it happens here too - the F1 Grand Prix is an excellent case in point.

oldtiffie
06-06-2012, 02:21 AM
The Queen is above the Law.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&sclient=psy-ab&q=queen+cannot+be+sued&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&oq=queen+cannot+be+sued&aq=f&aqi=g-K1&aql=&gs_l=hp.12..0i30.19818.20542.2.23254.4.2.0.2.2.0.3 02.600.2-1j1.2.0...0.0.2YhSKx6BmKc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ab6ab5064522d809&biw=1920&bih=818

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_immunity

JRouche
06-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Ok... I didnt read ALL the posts here nor do I want to. Umm? Long Live the Queen!!!! It was a good and needed event. All I have to say... JR

Tel
06-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Yes indeed! LONG LIVE THE QUEEN! And those not in favour .... erm ............ don't have to be!

jackary
06-06-2012, 05:25 AM
Thanks Oil mac and similar voices you have said it for me - if the existing system only stops would be dictators it will be doing a great service, just imagine President G Brown yuk
Alan

gnm109
06-06-2012, 10:28 AM
The Queen is above the Law.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&sclient=psy-ab&q=queen+cannot+be+sued&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&oq=queen+cannot+be+sued&aq=f&aqi=g-K1&aql=&gs_l=hp.12..0i30.19818.20542.2.23254.4.2.0.2.2.0.3 02.600.2-1j1.2.0...0.0.2YhSKx6BmKc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ab6ab5064522d809&biw=1920&bih=818

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_immunity

That's true as far as I know. In the long ago days of English Jurisprudence, almost all law related to wrongs against the King and his property. To complain about anything, there had to be a writ prohibiting it. It was said that "If there is no writ, there is no wrong".

Alistair Hosie
06-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Yes indeed! LONG LIVE THE QUEEN! And those not in favour .... erm ............ don't have to be!

Alistair Hosie
06-06-2012, 03:41 PM
I wish to make it clear I don't hate anyone the Queen and all of her cronies !It's the undemocratic principle of Monarchy I strongly dislike, and object to, where some can be born into such priveledge without the say so of the common people.While I am at it also hereditery peers I find that also completely a stitch up for those with wealth as I don't know any poor peers lords or ladies. Alistair p.s

Thanks AK Boomer for your very kind remarks you are a gentleman, and a scholor, very intelligent, good looking, suave, sophisticated, generous to a fault, and always help old ladies across the road, even if they don't want to go there.:DAlistair.

MaxHeadRoom
06-06-2012, 04:43 PM
I wish to make it clear I don't hate anyone the Queen and all of her cronies !It's the undemocratic principle of Monarchy I strongly dislike, and object to, where some can be born into such priveledge without the say so of the common people.While I am at it also hereditery peers I find that also completely a stitch up for those with wealth

Athur: ...But I am your Lord!

old lady: But we don't have a lord!.

Dennis: I told you, we are an anarcho-syndicalist commune.
We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for one
Week!

Arthur: Be QUIET!

Courtesy "The Holy Grail" :)

Max.

John Stevenson
06-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I think someone is trying to take a pop at royalty and I for one don't like it.

A.K. Boomer
06-06-2012, 05:10 PM
I think someone is trying to take a pop at royalty and I for one don't like it.

Bugger off!!! --------------------------------------------------:p

So what are u going to call Big Ben --- and don't u dare say late for supper...

Alistair Hosie
06-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Sorry MY lord:DAlistair

John Stevenson
06-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Bugger off!!! --------------------------------------------------:p

So what are u going to call Big Ben --- and don't u dare say late for supper...

Big Ben, just because some twonk in an office makes a decision doesn't mean to say anyone will go along with it.

I'll bet that in 50 years time the rank and file will still call it Big Ben. I meant it's been know as that for ?? years and it's not even it's name anyway. I think it's proper name is Tower Clock and Big Ben is one of the bells.

mike4
06-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Years ago - 1999 we had a referendum about a republic. It got to with in 45% I'd call that about a half. For years, I've given the Friday afternoon address, prior to Queens Birthday Public Holiday weekend.

That if any of the blokes that voted for an Aussie Republic, wanted to forego the Queens Birthday Public Holiday and turn up for work. The door would be open. Not once have I seen some one take me up on that offer.

Interestingly or boringly enough Queens Birthday long week end down here is next weekend. Its not her real birthday as she was born in May.

Phil.
I usually work during most "holidays " and without getting too political that so called referendum was rigged by the way it was worded , howard didnt want to see the Queen removed as head of state.
Michael

mike4
06-07-2012, 05:53 AM

Just shows how tolerant our Monarchial country is, many "Republicans" are dying in their countries for having the audacity to expect free speech.

Regards Ian.
Obvious that some here have never been made to "show" respect to some figurehead in a distant country by some monacharist wanker of a teacher.
Detention and writing out some drivel a thousand times just to humiliate you because you said the queen was not someone that you would bow to as bowing was not something that you did or ever would.
Michael

Mcgyver
06-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Obvious that some here have never been made to "show" respect to some figurehead in a distant country by some monacharist wanker of a teacher.
Detention and writing out some drivel a thousand times just to humiliate you because you said the queen was not someone that you would bow to as bowing was not something that you did or ever would.
Michael

but was that, and Alistair's corporal punishment, done by the Monarch?..... or an employee of the democratic government?

Tel
06-07-2012, 06:05 PM
I usually work during most "holidays " and without getting too political that so called referendum was rigged by the way it was worded , howard didnt want to see the Queen removed as head of state.
Michael

Is my memory failing me? I thought the referendum was formulated by Pig Farmer Keating.

Circlip
06-08-2012, 04:43 AM
So what are u going to call Big Ben ---

Similar sort of error that caused Lockheed to have to change thousands of drawings cos the President (of the US of) got verbal dihorea and made a dislexic error on the name of a fast jet?

Regards Ian.

mike4
06-08-2012, 07:58 AM
but was that, and Alistair's corporal punishment, done by the Monarch?..... or an employee of the democratic government?
What is the difference who did the act, its all about fawning to a foreign head of state ,and I will never bow to anyone ,its just pomp and ceremony for an archaic system ,something I never have or will support.

I would fight for my country but not for a monarchy or similar .
Michael

mike4
06-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Is my memory failing me? I thought the referendum was formulated by Pig Farmer Keating.
I am fairly sure that Howard and co were in power at the time and it was worded in such a way to ensure the outcome was in favour of the monarchy.
I dont have much time for politics of any persuasion either they are all there for their own benefit .
Michael

Machtool
06-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Michael

Just how ignorant are you? How the **** did Howard rig that? There were two questions in the 1999 referendum. Do you want to be a Republic, and do you want to add a preamble to the constitution.

This is what the ballot paper said that day. Tell me how that was rigged?

“A proposed law: To alter the Constitution to establish the Commonwealth of Australia as a republic with the Queen and Governor-General being replaced by a President appointed by a two-thirds majority of the members of the Commonwealth Parliament.”

Tell me when you went to that referendum, you knew exactly what kind of a republic you were voting for? (The question mark's are genuine. I’d hope for an answer.)

As I recall Mr. Eddy Everywhere, Who wants to be a Millionaire McQuire. Was the head spokesman . They couldn’t come up with a plan or a system.

When you went to that referendum, did you know how that would turn out

1: Electing a president and therefore a party. American Style

2: Electing a party and them have nominate a president. Much the same way
they nominate the Governor General now. English style. But needing 2/3 rds support? When's that ever happened?

3: No idea.

4: Random something else.

That referendum only lost at 46% I’d have voted yes myself, if I only had a clue of what sort of republic they had planned.

Hate to pull a Tiffie-pedia on you; but.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_republic_referendum,_1999#The_questions _and_results

Scroll down to the Constitutional Convention Part.

Because the model was overwhelmingly supported by the republican delegates, the Prime Minister decided to put that model to the referendum, a decision enthusiastically acclaimed by the ARM delegates and the media.

Just in case your still lost, the “ARM” would have been the Australian Republic Movement. The one Malcolm Turnbull was the head of, at that time. Same Goverment / same political party, sitting the same side of the bench in parliament , The ones that were “enthusiastically” acclaiming the Prime Minister for taking “THEIR’ model to the referendum.

Should I repeat this for your comprehension?

overwhelmingly supported by the republican delegates,
Care to tell me again how he = quote “rigged” that

Phil.

Machtool
06-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Your memory is failing, Keating lost office 2nd March 1996. The 1999 referendum was held 6th Nov. Howard was in Government. Roughly 3 years, 8 months later.

Keating was the one that touched the Queen up by the arse. Only head of state to ever do that. Perhaps that’s where your getting that from.

Phil.

A.K. Boomer
06-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Keating was the one that touched the Queen up by the arse.
Phil.

What does that mean -- does that mean what I think it means or is it some kind of bloke language?

If it means what is says please tell us about it...

Machtool
06-08-2012, 10:19 AM
What does that mean -- does that mean what I think it means or is it some kind of bloke language?

If it means what is says please tell us about it...

Its as It means. Let me google up the "Lizard of Oz" pics.

Fleet Street Press were about to throw us out of the Commonwealth, or at least stop us playing cricket. Because a Prime minister laid hands on the Queen.

Phil.

Ian B
06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Here you go:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/6581748/US-President-Barack-Obama-bowing-to-the-Emperor-of-Japan-and-other-political-greetings.html?image=5

More back than backside, unless the royal anatomy's different to that of most people.

Ian

A.K. Boomer
06-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Oh dear gawd,,, you guys better come up with some better pics than that --- that's hardly an "arse" unless she's got some kinda colostomy bag off to her left side WAY UP there...

come on - we want some goods...

Machtool
06-08-2012, 11:18 AM
unless she's got some kinda colostomy bag off to her left side WAY UP there...
Thatís verging on Sicko

What lead you to that, and just how did we get to Colostomy bags? Love her / hate her Thatís fairly obscure and just as stupid.

A.K. Boomer
06-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Hey - im not the one who said "touched the queen up by the arse"

now do you have the goods or don't you?

or do you go around making something huge from the way a gentleman would lead a lady through a crowd? not to say he's a gentleman - just saying that's all the pic really shows...

Mcgyver
06-08-2012, 12:26 PM
or do you go around making something huge from the way a gentleman would lead a lady through a crowd? not to say he's a gentleman - just saying that's all the pic really shows...

notwithstanding his gaff, becase there is protocol he should have known, a gentleman is not supposed put his arm around a lady and lead her through a crowd. Arm maybe.

philbur
06-08-2012, 01:20 PM
A couple of hundred years ago he would have been shipped to a penal colony for laying a hand on the Queen. If he was unlucky he could have ended up in Australia.

Alistair Hosie
06-08-2012, 01:25 PM
C'mon the man did nothing wrong he was being perfectly courteous at all times. It's just the same old bubble that surrounds the queen that she's like superhuman and god like and should not be touched by common hands, or any hands, as those hands are the hands of normal people and that just won't do for the queen, just not right that she should be touched by a normal human being.The nerve of him to put his hand gently on her royal personage no matter how delicately and tastefully it was done.
It's all the same old **** when Diana came along and was not willing to play by those stupid rules the royal bubble eventually burst never like humpty dumpty to be patched together again,and as I say we soon discovered along with all the screwing around and infidelity that indeed they were just really normal humans just like us. As Rabbie Burns said many years ago when it comes down to it they just $hit the same as we do ,and that is too much for the hard and fast believers in the myth of royalty to accept they prefered it when they thought she had a special diet and never ever did those normal things we do now they know it is hurtful to discover the whole thing is a giant conn and they are just no better or worse than we just exqactly the same.Alistair

Mcgyver
06-08-2012, 01:40 PM
C'mon the man did nothing wrong he was being perfectly courteous at all times.

baloney, a gentleman doesn't put his arm around a lady like that when they are not family/friends, especially in a formal setting, whether the lady happens to be the Queen or not. Its about knowing how to behave in such a situation; senior statesman, formal event, foreign dignitaries etc. Frankly I don't think that's what a gentleman does in any setting, start reaching around and touching women he has no business touching - ask the women how much they like it. Nothing gentlemanly about it.

I didn't know anything about this faux paux until this thread, but you do expect your leaders to know how to behave....that's the point imo, not whether it bothered the Queen or not. She probably took it in stride.

MaxHeadRoom
06-08-2012, 01:52 PM
A couple of hundred years ago he would have been shipped to a penal colony for laying a hand on the Queen. If he was unlucky he could have ended up in Australia.

Up until Victoria's time if you were not of the right class and the monarch addressed you, the custom was you were not to look them directly into their face if they spoke to you or addressed you or asked a question of you.
It was considered insolent. :eek:
Max.

Alistair Hosie
06-08-2012, 02:41 PM
He did nothing wrong he didn't touch her inapropriately in the least bit.I guess we will not agree, but a big hullabuloo about nothing.Typical of the ar$e$ who surround the monarchy to cry for his dismissal.He was being very kind in fact and I am absolutely sure he meant no harm but there are those who would make a great big noise about it and nothing would have been done if she was not the queen why Diana kissed leppers and aids victims and held their hands affectionately for long periods is that not a way of putting the whole thing into perspective.Alistair

A.K. Boomer
06-08-2012, 03:14 PM
No doubt, Gawd forbid someone forgot "proper protocol" and had a human moment around the queen:rolleyes:

Looks like he was introducing her to someone and just being nice, hardly her arse and hardly even the small of her back in which case I would agree that would be crossing the line.
I bet she thought it was nice someone was finally treating her like a human being.

It's as silly as the big fuss on the headlines of that site about Obama bowing to the Japanese emperor, since when is it wrong to treat people with respect - it's not any kind of weakness - its a great strength.

he's merely making up for resent past blunders.

And no im not Pro "O" --- or anybody else for that matter - just one of the things that critics need to get a grip with and stop being such panty waste douche bags...

Alistair Hosie
06-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Well said ak your spot on with your comments. I would not condone any manhandling or inapropriate handling sexual etc of any lady or any handling that could be so misconstrued .That would after all be simply wrong.Alistair

sasquatch
06-08-2012, 04:48 PM
If the Queen had been any kind of a Lady, she would have turned around and "Sucker Punched " him. Dropped him like an old potatoe.:D

Tel
06-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Your memory is failing, Keating lost office 2nd March 1996. The 1999 referendum was held 6th Nov. Howard was in Government. Roughly 3 years, 8 months later.

Keating was the one that touched the Queen up by the arse. Only head of state to ever do that. Perhaps thatís where your getting that from.

Phil.

I stand corrected - me memory must be fading as fast as the rest of me. I do know that, apart from manhandling 'ER, the pig farmer was a driving force toward the republic. And for those who don't know, the Pig Farmer was 'the world's greatest treasurer' before becoming PM - the one who 'forgot' to lodge a tax return! :D

jep24601
06-08-2012, 05:58 PM
One does not touch the Monarch. One curtsies or one bows, but one does not touch.

gnm109
06-08-2012, 06:06 PM
One does not touch the Monarch. One curtsies or one bows, but one does not touch.

Hmmm, does that mean that I can't touch Obama?...I was so looking forward to shaking his hand. :D

(What a silly thread this is......)

Alistair Hosie
06-08-2012, 06:20 PM
perhaps one might explain just why ?
shes just a person and I don't courtsey or bow.neither do many here and in the wider world at large your living in the past if you think people will act in 2012 the way they did in 1942.People are to well educated and sophisticated to play these same old games they were once beaten into.Those days are gone and will never return,sorry not for me you don't even have to be republican to realise that.It's a simple statement of fact,she's not GOD Alistair

A.K. Boomer
06-08-2012, 06:55 PM

What? she's shaking the hand of another lady while that one guys touching her back ----- :rolleyes:

is that lady wrong ? should she just leave the queen hangin?

What's the matter with you people -- what the hells going on over there???

Mcgyver
06-08-2012, 07:03 PM
He did nothing wrong he didn't touch her inapropriately in the least bit.I

No doubt, Gawd forbid someone forgot "proper protocol" and had a human moment around the queen

I hope it's just brains addled in an anti monarch lather. You've both proffered that the unwelcome touch of a woman is something you think is perfectly ok and something a gentleman would do :eek: A touch is something one does in familiarity or flirtation, hardly appropriate in this or many other situations.

Forget its the Queen. I'm not a great fan of that system either. Suppose you are at a black tie dinner and meet your President's wife (company or country, doesn't matter), 25 years your senior and a formal woman in a formal setting. You start putting your hands on her uninvited? Really?

What is stunning is the perception of what a gentleman would and wouldn't do. There is not the remotest chance a gentleman would do such a thing by definition. First and foremost a gentleman would never physically or otherwise do something to a lady she was so uncomfortable with. Whether you or the gentleman finds her reasons justifiable is irrelevant.

A.K. Boomer
06-08-2012, 07:16 PM
And your making a hell of allot of assumptions -- Unwelcome touch? who in the hell are you to decide that? did you have a little chat with the queen afterwords? like I stated it looks like he's introducing her to someone -- that's perfectly fine - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that picture if the setting allows it. Nothing - doesn't matter if its the queen or your best friends wife, or even a friendly lady who you just met and seems to like your company ----------- like you just stated in so many words; "a gentleman would not do anything to make a lady uncomfortable"...

If she's uncomfortable she's one of the best actresses iv ever witnessed with that nice smile on her face.

Now if this guy has a reputation - if he's a sleaze and did it for all the wrong reasons then fine - but then realize that this is not an argument so much about "proper protocol" as much as it's a distaste for a certain individual touching "your queen"...

Mcgyver
06-08-2012, 07:25 PM
And your making a hell of allot of assumptions -- like I stated it looks like he's introducing her to someone -- that's perfectly fine - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that picture if the setting allows it. "...

so you do think its ok and gentlemanly to touch a woman when it is unwanted.

did you read what I wrote? If introduced to the first lady would you start putting your hands on her? Come on.

I think, or hope, you didn't fully think this through and on sober second thought would agree it is not what a gentleman would do.

She didn't want it and it makes her feel uncomfortable. No gentleman would do that for that reason alone. There is nothing you can say or do to unravel that because not doing something that would make her uncomfortable is part of the definition of the gentleman. If you don't understand that there is no point in continuing.

MaxHeadRoom
06-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Geez! Canadian prime minister Mulroney did it, Michelle Obama did it, they still have their heads?? :rolleyes:
Max.

A.K. Boomer
06-08-2012, 07:43 PM
so you do think its ok and gentlemanly to touch a woman when it is unwanted.

I did not say that - I stated a gentleman would not do anything to make a lady uncomfortable, that includes not only knowing what would make her uncomfortable but going way beyond to make her feel welcome...

your still not getting it - were you there? were you in on the conversation?

Did it bother the queen? if so then he's a bad read --- sure does not make a touch like that always wrong in every situation -- that's a fact...
and it really looks like she's enjoying being treated like a person, at least for a moment...
Must be one dark and mundane existence if people cannot cut enough slack for that... geeze, what do you think the queens a robot? Tell you the truth I bet the queen would be damn uncomfortable around you.
Part of being a gentleman is knowing how to make a lady feel welcome and comfortable -- and in many a situation a light touch does just that -- if your a good read...

Mcgyver
06-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I did not say that - I stated a gentleman would not do anything to make a lady uncomfortable,

after the incongruence was pointed out. Initially you said the behaviour was fine and equated it to gentlemanly. Gentlemanly isn't a James bond movie lol. It is knowing how to behave and not to making people uncomfortable.

Of course it would make her uncomfortable, it is common knowledge that you don't touch the Monarch. It is inconceivable that as a head of state for a commonwealth country he wouldn't know that. Ignorance isn't a viable defense. Now your position is, it wasn't ungentlemanly because we don't know if the Queen wanted it or not? Sheesh.

you still claim that, protocol and the standards of gentlemanly behaviour not withstanding, that you think it was nothing inappropriate. Would you have your hands on the first lady if you met? Seriously?

A.K. Boomer
06-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Of course it would make her uncomfortable, Now your getting inside the queens head and frankly I find that kinda unnerving
it is common knowledge that you don't touch the Monarch. It's a stupid rule that gets broke all the time - the only real big deal is someone got a silly snap shot of it, They put it in place mostly because they don't want the queen to get mobbed by mere "peasants"

you still claim that, protocol and the standards of gentlemanly behavior not withstanding, that you think it was nothing inappropriate. Would you have your hands on the first lady if you met? Seriously?

I didn't say that it was appropriate or inappropriate - just saying it could be either - that's a fact...
If the queen or the first lady came to visit me and my large Italian family I could see touching her by the shoulder to introduce her to my 92 yo mother --- if people made a fuss about that then their really going to have a tough time with all my Moms great grandkids crawling all over her, but I guarantee you this - the queen or the first lady would have a blast...
She'd actually probably get hugged allot by everyone when she left - just the way my family is with company...:)

sasquatch
06-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I always liked hugging ladies!!:p

gwilson
06-08-2012, 09:42 PM
If you look at pictures of Roosevelt,he always has 2 men on his arms when standing up. He wanted no one to know he had polio. Got away with it back then because the press were less a$$holes.

IS IT possible that the Queen,who is pretty old,was not feeling well that day,and ASKED him to help steady her? I'll bet there are few days when she doesn't have to attend functions,well or not. That would be a very tiresome job.

Lots of assumptions from all,and none of us have inside info.

.RC.
06-08-2012, 11:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/OzRinger/queen-elizabeth-with-a-machine-gun.jpg

John Stevenson
06-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Right lads thread closed.
The Jubilee is over, back to work, nothing to see..............

[PS thanks George ]