PDA

View Full Version : Minus one and counting

John Stevenson
06-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Hopefully.......

the weather is crap here, pissing down all day and same forecast for the next few days.

Two shops to sort, first shop isn't too bad, load of gear to come outside and go under sheets and the green slotter loaded up and go down the road 1/2 mile or so to it's new owner.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/dday2.jpg

Shouldn't be too hard, everything except the slotter is on wheels.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/dday3.jpg

Slotter is last thing to come out and then sort the floor, those bars against the slotter are all stainless and they go right back to the rack. might make a new rack against the short wall for them and the CNC lathe can stand infront, The X3 CNC mill will move to where the lathe is in the other shop.

John Stevenson
06-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Other shop is the most work.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/Dday1.jpg

This is the beast that is going.
got a 28 tonne Hiab truck booked for 8:30 on Thursday morning from the scrapyard.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/dday4.jpg

Must admit the shop is well overdue for a clear up but knowing the lathe was going it didn't seem worth while.
I reckon it will take all of Tuesday to just clear round, where that red press stands are two hydrovane compressors a Sieg SX2 milling machine in bits and a C3 lathe still in it's crate.!!

Alistair Hosie
06-03-2012, 04:18 PM
What are you giving to your pal Al? er nothing ! miserable bastard :DAlistair

John Stevenson
06-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I was going to wish you a happy Jubilee but seeing as you are a tight wad scotsman it's not really your queen is it ?:D

motorworks
06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Wow...
Love to have a slotter....
UPS the next one to me... :)
e2die

dp
06-03-2012, 06:03 PM
It might be easier on all if you just dig a hole and bury it in situ, John. It would give the UXB boys a laugh when the next owner hits it with a back hoe.

John Stevenson
06-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Dare not dig a hole under the workshop, that's where I buried all the asbestos. :rolleyes:

.RC.
06-03-2012, 07:03 PM
When is it the Bridgeports turn?

Need to know when to hold the vigil at daylight...

Mike Burch
06-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Let us know how you get along with the C3, John. I spent hours setting mine up, but then it is my first lathe, and I guess I didn't really know much about setting them up from new.
Has it the imperial or the metric leadscrew?

John Stevenson
06-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Mike,
Don't know what leadscrew, only had it 4 years and it's still in the case :D

uncle pete
06-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Maybe building and shoehorning a foundry in there so it comes out in ingots might be easier?:D

One way or another, That's going to be a long and tiring job to remove that lathe.

Pete

tumutbound
06-03-2012, 09:01 PM
And I thought my shed was untidy!

Ah, the luxury of having so many tools, you don't need to bother unpacking them for years.:)

sasquatch
06-03-2012, 09:12 PM
(Just goes to show who has The "BIG" $$$'s):D

Peter.
06-04-2012, 05:03 AM
You should put that big machine on homeworkshop, collection only - bring a sack barrow :D

bborr01
06-04-2012, 11:15 AM
John,

Thanks so much for posting the pictures of your shops. I feel so much better now.

Brian

Charles P
06-04-2012, 02:25 PM
I reckon it will take all of Tuesday to just clear round........

I love an optimist! Which Tuesday?

Should have dropped round - I was in Nottingham yesterday but thought that you might be covered in bunting and waving flags with the family.

Charles

John Stevenson
06-04-2012, 04:15 PM
http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/dday5.jpg

Close of play 6:00 tonight. Slotter gone, floor swept and the metal rack tidied up, that took the longest.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/dday6.jpg

CNC lathe on the wall where the slotter was, Original X3 CNC conversion temporary parked in front of it. this will be moving to where the big old lathe was.
Green lathe on the scissor lift is a customers job.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/dday7.jpg

Those three tubs are just bits that came off or around the power saw, threw away probably half as much again.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/dday8.jpg

Slotter on the borrowed fork truck ready for the mad 400 yard dash to it's new home later tomorrow.

The grey machine on the pump up truck is the Myford VMB that has had to take second place whilst some other conversions have been worked on.

Hopefully I can pick this up after the green lathe is finished.

If I can get the TOS lathe out tomorrow then I'll be a happy bunny because it will take the rest of the week to do the move round.

motorworks
06-04-2012, 04:39 PM
?? my tail stock still in there somewhere ? lol
e2die

John Stevenson
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Yup but the way scrap prices are going it might not be for much longer :D :)

Peter.
06-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Yup but the way scrap prices are going it might not be for much longer :D :)

LOL!

How you getting the big lathe out John? Can you pull it with a strap off the Hi-ab or you gonna use a Tirfor or what?

John Stevenson
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Can't use the Hiab, that's on the scrapyard truck that's booked for Thursday morning, I have to have it out on the yard for then.

I do have a set of machining skates that will handle this, I think they are 7 tons each but wary of skates on a lathe, lathes are top heavy.

Probably jack it up and drop a 1/4" plate down with some oil on it and using the big fork truck as an anchor pull it with the Turfor winch, got more control this way.

That big fork truck is auto and I don't like the control you have on the throttle, takes ages to start moving then it rockets off.

Hardest bit will be getting a clear run, didn't realise just how much crap has accumulated round it in 15 years, emptied the tray underneath it tonight last thing and there must have been 40 odd drills lying in there.

Peter.
06-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I'd offer to come and lend a hand if I wasn't the other end of the country. Shifting heavy lumps of concrete is what I normally do but steel is no different really.

John Stevenson
06-05-2012, 09:09 PM
11:10 this morning.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/dday9.jpg

Finally got the tray emptied and off the machine. That doorway in the back ground is where it's headed.

Late pics to night, had to go down the pub, pie and pint night to celebrate.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/dday10.jpg

Empty floor for a bit <g>

Trouble is this is what is left.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/dday11.jpg

Stuff dumped every where, the skip is virtually full of sweepings and turnings. Boxes of useful metal all over but I'm going to have to some serious culling, some boxes haven't been touched in years.

Not the best picture, flash isn't powerful enough but out and waiting for the hiab truck on Thursday, the slotter will also get delivered on the same journey.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/dday12.jpg

Idea was to move an existing bench and put the small CNC's on it but that's going to take too much time so plans are to order some steel tomorrow and weld a new bench up.

uncle pete
06-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Sir John,
You do realise disturbing any historical site that may and probably does contain long lost items such as,
The working drawings for Stonehenge.
The Holy Grail.
King Arthur's Sword.
Original copies of the Magna Carta.
The stone tablets of the 10 commandments.
Unexploded bombs from WW 2, Ect.
Your current excavation could be considered illegal?:D

I'll bet you find some cool stuff you forgot you had though.

Pete

gnm109
06-05-2012, 11:49 PM
There's probably a roll of the original vellum drawings for a 1948 Matchless lower end buried in that shop, coffee stains and all. I'd bet that John must have had something to do with the original design. I was gong to blame the Queen, God Bless 'er, but I'd have bet that she would have built it more stout than they were. :D

hardtail
06-06-2012, 01:10 AM
What model Tos is that SN40/50? You have a follow rest for it?

Rosco-P
06-06-2012, 09:28 AM
I thought someone local had expressed interest in buying the TOS?

Toolguy
06-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Sad - now you won't have a TOS lathe to go with your POS mill.:(

John Stevenson
06-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Yup, still got a 14 x 40 TOS lathe left, it's in daily use.

Started sorting out today, top end of the shop down and putting things away.
Making good progress until I started getting to the trays of useful steel.
Problem is I have had these for over 10 years and hardy ever go sorting thru them. Tipped a couple out and sorted the crud out and re stacked the "useful material" which took exactly the same space up and with a new bench going where these trays went realised I don't have the room any more.

Tipped 8 trays out, sorted some decent big bits on the understanding that for the last 10 years I have been cutting small its off the ends of bars, saved three trays and that big grey cabinet that belonged an old Edgewick lathe I used to own was tipped on it's back on a pallet and the rest of what was on the floor was shovelled into it. I reckon it must be close to 3/4 of a ton.
Will see when it reaches the scrap yard probably tomorrow.

Already sold all the steadies as one lot, fixed, travelling and big home made one that can take 16"

Sold the DRO.

Got an offer of 300 on the toolpost and 16 holders, I wanted 350 but might take it to save any hassle.

Still got the chucks and faceplates.

I did have a semi local offer, some tyre kicker begged me not to scrap it but get it shipped on a Hiab truck the South Wales and he's give me 1,000 for it.

What a twat, hiab truck to South Wales and back would be best end of 1K anyway.
So far I'm at over 600 with the spares I had from Tim and got the chucks and the weigh in to come yet, no hassle, no tyre kickers.

thaiguzzi
06-08-2012, 04:21 AM
Oh dear John.
Before you go calling people "twat", which is a rude and derogatory term where i come from in England, get your facts straight. Check out my pm to you, where i stated the buyer would pay your costs to transport to S. Wales, and pay you 1k for the lathe, sight unseen, as that lathe was worth 2k to him in this part of the world. Hardly tirekicker material. You stated it was imperial (he wanted metric) and it had already had half cut off it. Fair enough, end of.
Just no need to call someone a twat from a genuine enquiry. Pm me an apology, and we'll start off with a clean slate again.
Apart from that, hi to everyone, been reading this great site for a couple of years now, and will post an intro soon enough, when i've got some more time free.
All the best,
Mike H.
N.E. Thailand.

John Stevenson
06-08-2012, 05:42 AM
No need for a PM, I'll apologise in public.
I can't go back to my PM's as they have been deleted to make space but I read your post as 1K including transport.

Add to the fact you had one post at the time on this board, was based in Thailand but wanted it shipped to Wales and it looked like a definite spam post.

It was an imperial machine and at that time I'd been along and cut all the handles off with an angle grinder.
Sounds harsh but I had made my mind up it was going for scrap.

Removing the handles meant I would not have to move a machine , knock some brick out of a wall that had been rebuilt from the last move and also empty and move, then replace two large cupboards. A move that I reckon saved me well over a day's work, possibly two and at commercial rates, remember whist I'm moving this I'm not earning and money from a sale is going down.

The sooner it hits the scrap yard the better.

Got the ticket yesterday as I dropped some alloy scrap off.

The lathe weighed 2390 kg and at 150 per metric tonne this earned 358.50 it should have made more but they charged me a reduced rate because they collected it but swings and roundabouts as I got the slotter delivered in the same trip which was chargeable.

So far it's took two working days to remove the machines, can't count tidying up and that has to be done anyway.

Selling this as a working machine would have been 4 working days

So far I'm up to about 900 cash and still got the chucks and faceplates to sell.

So once again my apologies for not seeing this was a genuine post and not spam.

gnm109
06-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Oh dear John.
Before you go calling people "twat", which is a rude and derogatory term where i come from in England, get your facts straight. Check out my pm to you, where i stated the buyer would pay your costs to transport to S. Wales, and pay you 1k for the lathe, sight unseen, as that lathe was worth 2k to him in this part of the world. Hardly tirekicker material. You stated it was imperial (he wanted metric) and it had already had half cut off it. Fair enough, end of.
Just no need to call someone a twat from a genuine enquiry. Pm me an apology, and we'll start off with a clean slate again.
Apart from that, hi to everyone, been reading this great site for a couple of years now, and will post an intro soon enough, when i've got some more time free.
All the best,
Mike H.
N.E. Thailand.

You are easily offended. This is nothing. Stick around. :D

thaiguzzi
06-08-2012, 12:10 PM
John,
apologies accepted. Nice one. Let's move on.
Manners and respect, cost nothing, i'm very old-skool in the way i've always lead my life, always will be. Manners and Respect. Trouble is the world out there do'nt always think like me. Since i was 18 years old, my life has revolved round motorcycles, machine tools, and ... motorcycles. Proper motorcycles. I still own my Triumph that i bought brand new, in 1979, when i was that 18 year old boy.
Cheers, all the best,
Mike.