PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: Traffic counter hose layout question

winchman
06-06-2012, 07:53 AM
They're doing some traffic counting here, and I'm curious about how the hoses are positioned on a road where there are two traffic lanes going in the same direction.

It looks like a single hose running from the box, across the road, and back to the box. It's possible that it's really two separate hoses, though, as they're hidden by grass.

The curious thing is that the hose makes an X at the white lines between the two lanes. The hose that would be mashed first in the right lane is mashed last in the left lane. Why do they do that?

Jaakko Fagerlund
06-06-2012, 08:31 AM
A little OT, but interesting way of counting. In here they just use capacitive/inductive/magical boxes that sit in the light poles near the rodes and count using no-touch :) Funny thing is that they can also diffrentiate a car from a truck and a van etc., as they all have a different "fingerprint" to the sensors.

cameron
06-06-2012, 08:50 AM
I would guess that's because they want to count the traffic in each lane separately.

Dave Cameron

ptjw7uk
06-06-2012, 09:39 AM
in the UK when I worked for the local council we used several counting methods to count traffic flow.
A single rubber tube accross the road just counted vehicles by dividing by 2 to give the approx flow irrespective of direction, its just the flow in the road that was required.
2 tubes accross the road would give flow both ways, they could also give traffic type with the data put into 7 types of vehicle using axle spacing!
2 tubes accross road spaced 600mm apart could also give speed of vehicle.
For more accurate counts you would have to lay inductive loops onto the road or have them cut into the road.
All the types work quite well if the results are taken over a week etc. The tubes were also prone to damage if left down too long.

Peter

flylo
06-06-2012, 11:19 AM
When I was much younger we use to just keep running these over & over. I miss the bell at the gas station when you ran over the hose.

winchman
06-06-2012, 01:52 PM
I took a closer look, and each hose is capped off the side of the road. So, it's really two hoses, and they're only several inches apart.

"I would guess that's because they want to count the traffic in each lane separately."

I can see that working. If hose A is mashed first, it's the right lane, and if hose B is mashed first, it's the left lane. I can think of some things that could happen to throw the count off, but they're probably not statistically important.

Beazld
06-06-2012, 06:22 PM
When I was a kid, when ever us kids saw those tubes in our neighborhood we would jump up and down on them to hear rhe box click. We knew we were throwing the counts off, and to us we just knew we were being "bad" and we were "going to get in trouble". A far cry from the youth of today. The most trouble we got into was a neighbor lady yelling at us to stop or she would tell our parents. We would have been better off if she called the cops...:eek:

John Stevenson
06-06-2012, 07:14 PM
A far cry from the youth of today. The most trouble we got into was a neighbor lady yelling at us to stop or she would tell our parents. We would have been better off if she called the cops...:eek:

Not when we were growing up round here. We used to have a local bobbie that lived in the neighbourhood result was he knew everything and what was going on.
When we were about 14 we used to ride motor cycles on the local disused farm, no one minded and technically breaking the law pushing the bikes up to the farm but no one bothered, PC Plod used to turn a blind eye if you behaved.

One day he caught us riding back down from the farm 3 up, stopped us at a bus shelter and banged our stupid heads together, bloody hard as well :o
Never caught us again and we dare not tell our parents else the old man would have done the same.

Fast forward to about 17 and I was pushing a bike home I'd bought for spares, no runner and obvious with what was missing.
sat astride it and free wheeled down a small slope and got stopped at the bottom by a city police car.

Result got done for no tax, no MOT and no insurance.

Would have preferred a thick ear :)

sasquatch
06-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Re: Flylo's post about riding over those hoses,, we did that also, and i,m betting just about every kid did.:D
Re: Service station bell hoses:

One night just after the station had closed we tied the bell hose to the old fellas back bumper who ran the station at night.
As he pulled away, that thing started to stretch, man,, up to 30ft-40ft, (by then we ran for cover thinking it was going to take someones head off when it snapped,), That hose must have stretched to at least 60 ft before it snapped, then just fell limp onto the road!!!
We were SO dissapointed!!:D
We often wondered what he thought when he discovered the 3ft of hose tied to his bumper??:eek:

Weston Bye
06-06-2012, 07:33 PM
The delinquent neighbor kid discovered that if you pulled the bolt out of the end of the gas station bell hose and blew into it, the bell jangled like a fire alarm instead of the single clank. Also discovered that he got his lips dirty.

sasquatch
06-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Wes, that is a FUNNY one!!

Umm, i presume YOU had nothing to do with that????:rolleyes:

Weston Bye
06-06-2012, 09:08 PM
I was just an innocent bystander. Honest.

That kid was always getting into trouble. I heard he's dead now.

flylo
06-06-2012, 10:04 PM
We drove what we could afford, not much. A friend had a bad gas tank seam so he just put another tank in the trunk for gas. We's pull into a station & ask to use the water hose & in plain site put an asprin in the old gas fill, ad a couple gallons of water & drive off. We got some crazy looks!:D

sasquatch
06-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Flylo, that is hilarious!!

I can just see the look on peoples faces,, like "WHAT THE HELL???????????:eek: :D

Jaakko Fagerlund
06-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Just out of interest, but how does that hose type counting device work? What exactly it is measuring from the tube?

ptjw7uk
06-07-2012, 06:39 AM
Inside the counter there are 2 pressure switches so they jusy count pulses.
On the UK ones the ends oif the hose had a plug with a small hole, something to do with not blowing up the diaphragm in the switches.

Going back to the op i think the cross in the hoses is to allow for counting in each lane!

peter

A.K. Boomer
06-07-2012, 08:59 AM
On the UK ones the ends oif the hose had a plug with a small hole, something to do with not blowing up the diaphragm in the switches.

I think that's global,

the small holes are atmospheric equalizers - this allows for internal expansion and contraction rates due to solar, ect. other wise the hoses would heat up during the day and stick the switch in the on position all day long - and at night have a vacuum and never go off...
very small hole - so air won't bleed off in time when a tire runs over hose....

could be handled at the business end too - then you have protection of some smart ass running over the hose long ways and blowing your diaphragm...