PDA

View Full Version : Albrecht chuck rebuild questions...

KEJR
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
HEllo,

I bought an albrecht chuck at a show with some noticeable slop in it. The price was right (or so I thought) so I thought I'd rebuild it and maybe get lucky in cleaning it up and reassembling it. I am contemplating a new drill chuck so I thought it time to check this one out first.

Here is what I noticed:

the jaws have some slop between the hood and the tee slotted piece they ride on. All of the Albrechts I've used at other places have been really tight here. I'm not sure it matters since the pressure/accuracy comes from the contact with the hood, but then again the jaws are more free to "wiggle" in the slots if they are sloppy.

the TIR as measured with a straight arbor in a precision lathe with a precision ground 0.5" pin was about 0.002" which is probably good enough for my work and probably better than my other drill chucks.

So do you guys think the slop matters, and how does one go about telling if I need jaws or combination of jaws and the slotted piece they ride on?

I'm also seeing a fair bit of play between the part that the arbor presses into (main body??) and the rest of the assembly (0.005"-0.010" guestimate). Does this get taken up when you install the collar, or is this a problem?

I was surprised to find that the jaws are $60 or so and the other piece is not cheap either. So I'm well over $130 to rebuild this used chuck. It almost makes me want to ebay it to someone who really wants a legitimate albrecht (I'm torn because I wouldn't mind having a real albrecht myself, just not sure the $130+ is worth it for my needs on a chuck that takes abuse ...).

Any other opinions of ideas are welcomed.

KEJR

RWO
06-06-2012, 04:38 PM
If you wish, Albrecht will refurbish your chuck at the factory and if it is beyond repair, will offer you a new chuck at a discount.

http://www.albrechtchucks.com/downloads/Albrecht_Catalog.pdf

RWO

KEJR
06-06-2012, 08:38 PM
If you wish, Albrecht will refurbish your chuck at the factory and if it is beyond repair, will offer you a new chuck at a discount.

http://www.albrechtchucks.com/downloads/Albrecht_Catalog.pdf

RWO

That is something to consider, but honestly I'm kind of afraid to know what they charge! I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I just looked up the parts and for both pieces it is $120. Not too bad considering the new ones are over $200, but still alot of money for a used chuck, even one that is refreshed.

I mainly looking for a way to see if it is the jaws or the jaw guides that are worn (or both).

KEJR

sasquatch
06-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Think i'd just send it to the factory.

Arthur.Marks
06-06-2012, 11:35 PM
I say use it as is. After a while, if it still bugs you sell it as is. If in the interim you found you liked it a whole lot, buy a new one. You can milk some great prices on them if you wait for a double dip Enco deal or something. That is what I did. Free shipping, already on sale in flyer, plus % discount. If you thought it was fine but nothing special, buy a Glacern or some other chuck to replace it after it sells. If you're getting 2 thou- runout, I think your problem is more perception than precision ;) You have an Albrecht... you wanted it to blow your socks off :) Instead, it is just a minor bit sloppy.

KEJR
06-07-2012, 10:40 AM
If you're getting 2 thou- runout, I think your problem is more perception than precision ;) You have an Albrecht... you wanted it to blow your socks off :) Instead, it is just a minor bit sloppy.

Thanks for the replies. I can appreciate the comments about perception, I've been asking myself this as well. I roughly assembled it last night and put some torque on the unit after clamping it down on a 0.5" drill bit and it slipped with what seemed like little torque. If I had to guess I'd say that hte jaws are loose enough in their slots that the "self tightening" feature is defeated.

I think I will ebay it for the price I bought it and chalk it off to a learning exercise. I'd rather someone else enjoy it that really likes these chucks and wants to rebuild one. I know some folks came across cheap jaw sets and the like so it might be more worth it to them.

Thanks,
KEJR

Arthur.Marks
06-07-2012, 12:27 PM
One other thing to try for the time being. You might have already done this; I don't know. Disassemble the chuck, clean and degrease everything---especially the central tightening screw. That piece is not meant to have grease or lube on the threads to grip properly. After a bit of use oil will tend to get in there. On mine it does because I usually use a tapping fluid when drilling. It is a potential source of 'slip' as you mention. At the very least, it might improve the grip a tiny bit.

Another thing it sounds like you already know... Never bottom the drill shank when initially tightening the chuck. This prohibits the jaws from tightening further under load.

One question I've sometimes pondered with this design chuck is wear on the jaws. When the jaws are new it doesn't matter what order they are arranged in the body slots. BUT... as they wear in use, does altering their relative position cause them to grip less or at least less concentrically? I do disassemble my chucks to clean them every now and again. The question comes up as I am doing this. As the Albrecht literature mentions nothing about this, I've always figured that if it happens, it must signal the end of the useful life for that jaw set. There's no real evidence behind all this pondering, though; it is just my line of thinking on the subject.