PDA

View Full Version : any 14" South Bend owners?

metalmagpie
06-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I need a dimension. On South Bend lathes, the cross-slide is bored to receive a circular boss on the bottom of the compound rest. The compound rest is secured from turning by two set screws at 90 degrees apart, on the sides of the cross-slide, angled towards the center of the bored hole.

On the 14" South Bend the compound mounting hole is 2.25" in diameter. My question is about the angled set screw holes. I'm guessing they are either 7/16-24 or perhaps 3/8-16 thread. I need to know the thread and also the distance below the top of the cross-slide to the angled hole axes.

I can't find these dimensions online. The thread size any of you 14" SB owners can probably tell at a glance, and the vertical dimension can be somewhat approximate. However, most SB dimensions are integral numbers of sixteenths of an inch, so it may be that estimating the hole center to the nearest sixteenth would provide the correct answer.

I'm designing an adapter plate to fit a 14" South Bend milling attachment onto a different lathe, so I need to replicate the compound mount setup.

metalmagpie

Ohio Mike
06-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Not an answer, more of a question. Are you talking about a South Bend 14-1/2" classic style lathe or a later South Bend "Fourteen" which had a squared off head? I wasn't sure you were aware there there two different machines, both of often referred to as 14".

lane
06-06-2012, 09:43 PM
First their is no 7/16-24 It will be a coarse thread my guess is 3/8-16 as far a how far down take a rule and measure .

Dr Stan
06-06-2012, 10:29 PM
If you are asking about the 14 1/2" SB flat belt drive machine I just checked mine. The hole in the cross slide for the boss on the bottom of the compound rest is 2.500". One of the set screws is 1/2-13 and the other is 9/16-12. My guess is that one, or even both stripped out over the years.

As best as I can tell the dimension you need is .500".

Don Young
06-06-2012, 11:06 PM
I do have one of the later "Fourteen"s. I am not sure just where the parts are right now but if you need dimensions for that lathe I will try to help.

metalmagpie
06-07-2012, 10:15 AM
First their is no 7/16-24 It will be a coarse thread my guess is 3/8-16 as far a how far down take a rule and measure .

I didn't have the male dovetail here to measure from. And 7/16-24 was a typo, I apologize, meant 7/16-14.

I do have the male dovetail here to measure from now. I'll take 1/2-13 as the correct thread, thanks!

metalmagpie