X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Pace
    • Jul 2005

Tachometer/speedometer cable source?

I am still in the process of rebuilding my Sheldon 13" lathe with the variable speed under drive. It has a tachometer that is driven off this drive with the indicator built into the spindle cover. The indicator works fine, but the cable/housing is toast. I can find many sources for all sorts of cables online but the sites require a model of whatever they are replacing (year/make, etc). The couple places here in town that made them up quit fooling with them some time ago. The ends are what I need to match, I can have some leeway in length.

The female end is 7/8-18 thread and male end is 3/4-18 and overall length is 36".

A piece of the drive cable is stuck in the female end and refuses to come out, otherwise I could probably get one of those pieces of universal cable...

All sorts of machinery had these things, so --- anybody got suggestions

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........
  • garyrthome@frontier.com
    • Nov 2011

go to a heavey duty truck shop Peterbuilt Kenworth Mack ect might be able to help you

Comment

• Willy
      • Oct 2005

Bill I think these guys (Texas Industrial Electric Co.)
      have just about anything you might need if you don't mind rolling your own.

Have a look at the link, that page should get you started.
      You can probably make a crimp die so that you could crimp the ferrules in the vise. It doesn't have to be fancy, as long as it works is all that counts.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• darryl
        • Jan 2003

Sure looks like speedometer cable to me. Scrap yard stuff. Make your own ends, use the original nuts, and square the ends of the inner cable if needed using a four jaw chuck somehow.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• coalsmok
          • Sep 2011

Get a tractor tach cable. Would have to go look for certain but I think there is on for a Ferguson out in the shop about those diminsions.

Comment

• macona
            • Aug 2006

Try Palo Alto Speedometer. I have heard good things about them:

Palo Alto Speedometer specializes in the complete repair, restoration, and sales of automobile gauges.

Comment

• Bill Pace
              • Jul 2005

Bill I think these guys (Texas Industrial Electric Co.)
              have just about anything you might need if you don't mind rolling your own.
              Willy, You get the prize! Called Texas Industrial Electric, talked to Steve, gave him my specs and within a couple minutes had one on order - $15 foot. Great service!

Thanks Willy - and everybody else...
              If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

• sasquatch
                • May 2006

Willy the "Cable" guy.

Comment

Working...
                X