PDA

View Full Version : spindle grease

Steelspinner76
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
working on reassembling the spindle/quill for my mill it's a tree 2uv type universal milling head. supposed to have lubed for life bearings...not
they were dry as a bone. is there a good grease I can get without special ordering that will work well on the spindle. someone suggested mobilegrease 28
but it's an aircraft grease. I don't know I may be able so scrounge a bit at the local airport but it's not really available around here. Any other suggestions?

highest spindle speed is probably around 5000 rpm

Wayne

macona
06-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Kluber NBU-15 is the only grease I would use. 30% fill and cross your fingers. The bearings may already be toast.

John Garner
06-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Wayne --

I'll take the contrarian position. Lubrication technology has developed greatly since your Tree was new, and there are undoubtedly MANY readily available greases today that will work as well as the "factory-fill" grease.

That factory-fill grease was most likely a petroleum oil thickened with a metallic soap. It would be nice to know which metallic soap, because blindly mixing soap types without thoroughly cleaning out the existing grease is a real bad idea.

Given that a #2 Tree is probably 40+ years old, my guesses are 1) that the factory-fill spindle bearing grease is either sodium-soap or lithium-soap thickened, and 2) almost any bearing grease meeting the National Lubricating Grease Institute's GC-LB specification for automotive chassis and wheel bearing use would meet the bearings' lubrication needs.

Reviewing a grease-compatibility chart ( http://www.finalube.com/reference_material/grease_compatibility_chart.htm ) provides a bit of bad news. Sodium-soap greases are compatible only with sodium-soap greases. That fundamentally means you need to flush as much of the existing grease residue out of you bearings as you possibly can. That's not too hard if the bearings are "open", but shielded and sealed bearings are progressively more difficult to flush clean.

After cleaning the bearings, you can re-lube them. I use and like Castrol's Multi-Purpose Wheel Bearing Grease, which is a lithium-based light-amber-color grease, and LubriMatic Marine Corrosion Control and Wheel Bearing Grease, which is a very water resistant, darker-colored, calcium-sulfonate-thickened grease.

A number of equally-appropriate GC-LB greases will be readily available at any FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) in the nation, for a few dollars a tub or tube.

John

lakeside53
06-07-2012, 08:39 PM
I'd use the Kubler or Barden equivalent also.

macona
06-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Wheel bearing grease in spindle bearings? Eek!

Do you realize how slow wheels turn in comparison to a spindle?

rickyb
06-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Timken makes a spindle grease. It is called Ultra-High Speed Spindle Grease. It comes in a standard grease cartridge so you won't sit on 1 gallon wondering where else you can use it. I got mine from Motion Industries for about $15.

Fasttrack
06-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Do you realize how slow wheels turn in comparison to a spindle?

The fastest spindle in my "fleet" of machine tools is 5000 rpm. Most top out at 1200 or 2000 rpm, which is comparable to a wheel. Typical RPM for a small car wheel traveling at 75 mph is on the order of 1500 rpm.

Not suggesting that wheel bearing grease is the correct lubricant, but for an older machine with a slow spindle, I could see using it.

lakeside53
06-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Timken makes a spindle grease. It is called Ultra-High Speed Spindle Grease. It comes in a standard grease cartridge so you won't sit on 1 gallon wondering where else you can use it. I got mine from Motion Industries for about $15.

LOL... My Barden Grease cost $55 after shipping for about 2oz. :eek:

It's for a Brown & Sharpe surface grinder spindle - spins at 1775 rpm. If it lasts as long as the orginal, it will be in there for the next 57 years.

JoeLee
06-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Kluber NBU-15 is the only grease I would use. 30% fill and cross your fingers. The bearings may already be toast.
Your right, Kluber is all any of the spindle mfg's use today.
I used the NBU-15. I don't know what is so special about it other than the price. I've seen spindle bearings that have lasted over 40 years that were greased with the old sodium soap based grease (thick wheel bearing grease) looks like a wad of bees wax. Man has finally out done himself..... as far as grease goes.

JL...............................

macona
06-09-2012, 06:29 AM
The fastest spindle in my "fleet" of machine tools is 5000 rpm. Most top out at 1200 or 2000 rpm, which is comparable to a wheel. Typical RPM for a small car wheel traveling at 75 mph is on the order of 1500 rpm.

Not suggesting that wheel bearing grease is the correct lubricant, but for an older machine with a slow spindle, I could see using it.

Even at that why risk several hundred per bearing on 3 dollar grease when you can get the right stuff for $30? There is limits to being cheap.

rickyb
06-10-2012, 07:10 PM
LOL... My Barden Grease cost $55 after shipping for about 2oz. :eek:

It's for a Brown & Sharpe surface grinder spindle - spins at 1775 rpm. If it lasts as long as the orginal, it will be in there for the next 57 years.

My Rockwell mill has a speed range of 350-6000 rpm. The Timken grease I use is designed for machine tool spindles not auto spindles. Seems to me it is the right stuff. You might think about it in 57 years when the time comes.