Dr Stan
06-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I made an inquiry about a 1340 SM lathe and received the following reply:

Qty. 1 SM 1334 I/M Lathe Price: $11,190.00 USD

Delivery in 8 weeks

2 year end to end warranty.

Manufactured completely in our plant in Horsham, PA

Terms: 25% deposit on purchase, balance net 30 days

Notice the location of the plant as I thought SM was located in Canada. It also appears they are only built to order. BTW, not a bad price IMHO given a "South Bend" 13X40 costs $16,690.00 as per the web site http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-13-13-x-40-Gearhead-Lathe/SB1050

Mcgyver
06-08-2012, 11:32 PM
that is a heck of price if they're still made the way I saw them being made. PA is either a front to appease the buy american types or he actually moved the business. His kids live in the states and he'd threatened to move it....I wouldn't have thought it feasible given the economics but maybe he did. We need a PA person to drop by the address

Elninio
06-09-2012, 05:52 AM
SM got bought, i thought by the chinese, some time last year, or 2 years ago

Mcgyver
06-09-2012, 08:46 AM
that could be it, it was actively marketed for sale. That price Stan would be less than 1/2 of what their low cost model was irrc....wonder if all the castings/parts are now made in china. They were made here, even the castings, when I looked at it

Arthur.Marks
06-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Sorta makes no sense to me? If they're made to order, 8 weeks would be crazy fast don't you think? The price is too good if you ask me. I'd be very interested to hear any further information you learn from SM. I do remember the advertisements of it being for sale, but I never heard anything of it since.

jacmarhal
06-13-2012, 11:46 PM
"Manufactured completely in our plant in Horsham, PA"

Why would they say this if it wasn't true?

adatesman
06-14-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm not terribly far from Horsham, PA, but their website still says they're in Ontario. Sounds goofy to me.

Edit- I take that back. A bit more google turned up a snippet on monster.com saying Standard-Modern was moving to Montgomery County, PA. Couldn't find an address though. Did find the address for a machinery dealer called Standard Modern in King of Prussia (30 minutes or so from Horsham and just across the river from me), so maybe they did move. Dunno if I could swing out that way today, but east enough to give them a call- 610-265-4833.

http://www.pennsylvania-companies.com/companies/standard-modern-lathes.html

Edit x2- looks like that number is out of service.

wierdscience
06-14-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm not terribly far from Horsham, PA, but their website still says they're in Ontario. Sounds goofy to me.

This link lists them as being in King of Prussia,Pa.??

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Standard-Modern.Lathes.610-265-4833/map?novum=1

Google street view shows a house at that addy though.

Mcgyver
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Why would they say this if it wasn't true?

because they have the front office sophistication of a corner variety store. I doubt there's malice, they're just not on the ball. The web site gets changed once a decade whether it needs it or not

As of last year I'd say technically they're good, and they make a high quality product with everything done right (unless they've sold and its changed). Where they fall off the cliff is in knowing how to deal with their market and customers. For example they gave up the most profitable part of the business, parts, to someone else because they have no front office or inclination and ability to create one.

adatesman
06-14-2012, 11:27 AM
This link lists them as being in King of Prussia,Pa.??

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Standard-Modern.Lathes.610-265-4833/map?novum=1

Google street view shows a house at that addy though.

There is a small office building on the corner of that intersection, but yeah, that part of Biedler is pretty much all residential (my wife's office is close to there and cutting through Biedler helps avoid traffic)

wierdscience
06-14-2012, 03:27 PM
There is a small office building on the corner of that intersection, but yeah, that part of Biedler is pretty much all residential (my wife's office is close to there and cutting through Biedler helps avoid traffic)

Maybe that's their office/mail drop and the shop is elsewhere? I'm curious to find out too since if they are still NA made then that's one heck of a price they quoted Stan.

Cheeseking
06-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Sorta makes no sense to me? If they're made to order, 8 weeks would be crazy fast don't you think? The price is too good if you ask me. I'd be very interested to hear any further information you learn from SM. I do remember the advertisements of it being for sale, but I never heard anything of it since.

It's possible they have some Qty of raw or partially finished castings and parts in PA waiting for an order to get placed? Not sure how much hand work and fit up subsequently go into completing a lathe just suggesting possibility.

You would think on the smaller lower priced machines they would at least have one ready to ship at all times.

adatesman
06-14-2012, 06:53 PM
I don't suppose Dr Stan could provide an address or phone number for them, whether in Horsham or King of Prussia? I can check out KoP no problem, Horsham would take some figuring.

Dr Stan
06-14-2012, 08:35 PM
I don't suppose Dr Stan could provide an address or phone number for them, whether in Horsham or King of Prussia? I can check out KoP no problem, Horsham would take some figuring.

The only contact info I can find for SM is their Canadian address, etc. I think I'll reply to the e-mail and see if I can get more info.

Just sent the following e-mail:

George,

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you. I'm curious as to the location of SM's manufacturing facility. The last time I checked SM was located in Ontario. When did it move and what is the physical address?

Thanks,

Stan

Guess we'll just have to wait & see.

Dr Stan
06-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Just thought I'd update those who are interested. So far I have not received a reply to my last e-mail.

ported
07-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Standard modern has have moved to the usa , and they should start building lathes soon again , well made made and good quality parts .
George is a good guy and has always helped on question corcerning my few standard modern lathes i have .
al

PhilR
03-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Any updates on this company? Are they building lathes again? The website I found for Standard Modern seems to be old and out of date.