PDA

View Full Version : Help with Marv Klotz software

millwrong
06-09-2012, 03:05 AM
Does anyone have a workaround for running the software files that Marv posts on his website? Specifically using Windows 7? I'm not even sure if I can get a DOS prompt with Windows7 ?! Mr. Klotz has generated some wonderful bits o' software, and I'd hate to have to abandon them due to my ignorance.:(

Tel
06-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Yes, there is a way of doing that - probably best to ask Marv directly.

ptjw7uk
06-09-2012, 05:03 AM
Try this link
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=46226

Peter

Pete49
06-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Dosbox works on win 7 real nice. Easy to download and cheap.....FREE
Pete

mklotz
06-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Apparently you didn't bother to read the first paragraph of the Introduction section on the webpage.

dp
06-09-2012, 03:03 PM
I hadn't heard of DOSBox prior, but there's a Mac version which means Marv's math tools will run "native" on the Mac. It also means all the old DOS era tools I wrote in assembler will probably work, too.

millwrong
06-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Apparently you didn't bother to read the first paragraph of the Introduction section on the webpage.

OUCH!!:o I thought that I'd read the opening paragraphs, I even went back and re-read!!! Now I have to find out how you safely remove a petard....:confused:

Paul Alciatore
06-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Does anyone have a workaround for running the software files that Marv posts on his website? Specifically using Windows 7? I'm not even sure if I can get a DOS prompt with Windows7 ?! Mr. Klotz has generated some wonderful bits o' software, and I'd hate to have to abandon them due to my ignorance.:(

I am not sure which of Marv's programs you are talking about, but you can get a DOS prompt in Windows 7. Just click on the Windows meatball at the left side of the Taskbar and the DOS window/Command Prompt is about the fourth item down.

I am not implying that there is not a problem running some legacy programs; just pointing out that there is a DOS/Command Prompt window available.

dp
06-09-2012, 09:01 PM
In 64-bit Win7 this is what you get when you run an older MSDOS (16-bit) binary in a terminal window. Hence the need for a DOS runner tool like DOSBox.

http://metalworkingathome.com/images/win7DOSCommandError.jpg