View Full Version : Funky dial gauge fitting

06-10-2012, 07:39 AM
I found this whilst rummaging through a box of bits at a local machinery dealer yesterday. I never saw anything like it before - are they common?

I guess it's used for indicating down a hole. What other uses might it be good for?


06-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Now that is curious, never seen an exact such thing before.

By altering the pivot point one could alter the sensitivity too, subject to obvious restrictions about the quality of the components.

06-10-2012, 08:47 AM
It's for indicating down a bore, and there are probably other uses too.

You can see one in use at the beginning of this "Turn Wright" video:


06-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Theyre also useful for indicating the parallelism of sides of grooves, and may other "cant reach" situations. Very common btw.

06-10-2012, 09:27 AM
I use that attachment (I have the Starrett version) for indicating true the back face of any flange I may need to make another face parallel.

The attachment allows getting the indicator at a fairly large-diameter sweep, making it easier to dial it in. You can also reach behind obstructions on O.D. applications to get a face turning true in a chuck.

06-10-2012, 01:48 PM
A point toward using one of these: always use a flat anvil on your indicator. 'Round on round' will not read any measurement accurately. If your only concern is comparative to the initial setting, of course, it doesn't matter so much, but it is still best practice.

06-10-2012, 01:59 PM
That's true but the one pictured is designed for the tip shown.

06-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Would you know I already found one handy use for it today:


Bob Fisher
06-10-2012, 04:53 PM
I've used them many times years ago as a lab technician to reach where you otherwise could not place an indicator. There was also a right angle adaptor we used a lot. I think I might still have one or two of each. Bob