PDA

View Full Version : Way OT, Bidet toilet seat.

mayfieldtm
06-11-2012, 05:37 PM
I've been seeing the "AMDM Intelliseat" electronic Bidet Toilet seat at Costco for several weeks now.
I finally plopped (no pun intended) down the $199 and bought one.
This is probably one of the best buys I've made in a long time.

Pure comfort. Water: Warm to Hot, Toilet Seat: Warm to Hot, Air: Warm to Hot.
I won't go into the details, but, as one gets older, going to the restroom can become a real pain in the a$$.
I think that even the Biggest and Ugliest Machinist will enjoy it.
Warning... The first time I picked up the Remote Control and I pressed the "His Back" button, BULLSEYE! I nearly hit the ceiling!

I don't own stock in AMDM, just passing (no pun intended) it along.

Tom M.

Carld
06-11-2012, 05:43 PM
I guess you could say it's water up the ass huh. Oh, please don't hit the button that says Tampax remover. :eek:

sasquatch
06-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Never thought i'd see a posting about toilet seats here, but to each his own i suppose.:eek: :rolleyes:

laddy
06-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Always kindo worried me to sit naked on something filled with water and hooked to electric.....maybe it's just me.

sasquatch
06-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Make sure nothing is "Dangling" making contact with the water!!:D

+ or - Zero
06-11-2012, 07:16 PM
I haven't been around this forum all that long, so I may be wrong about this, but...

I think you should get real kudos for posting this.

I think it may well be the most Off Topic, OT post I have ever seen. Keep up the ... oddly interesting work (and that has to be one of the weirdest things I've ever said in a post).

Bob Fisher
06-11-2012, 09:17 PM
In a way,I feel compelled to say something, just don't quite know what. Zero may have it nailed though! When I first joined this forum, I complained about OT posts lacking machining content and several members recommended that I just not open them. Advice well taken, and I have lived happily ever after. Could not ignore this one however!Bob.

Paul Alciatore
06-11-2012, 11:29 PM
I haven't been around this forum all that long, so I may be wrong about this, but...

I think you should get real kudos for posting this.

I think it may well be the most Off Topic, OT post I have ever seen. Keep up the ... oddly interesting work (and that has to be one of the weirdest things I've ever said in a post).

One nice thing about this forum is it is not intended for people at work so there is no "On Topic NAZI" who constantly chides those who post things that are OT. Frankly, I rather like it this way and wish more forums were like it in this manner. But I do understand the concerns of those who are busy and don't want to be constantly disturbed by OT posts while they are at work.

However, it is generally considered to be good manners, both here and elsewhere, to include the OT warning in the subject line of such posts.

As for the bidet thing, I have been considering it for a while now. Age does create more problems. There are some attachments that are a lot more reasonable in price but they will not have all those fancy features, just cold water. I was in the Army and can put up with anything. I think.

justanengineer
06-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Not sure if this is the exact one I saw, but I saw one similar to your description in Menards, and yes I do want it but cannot justify the $200+. Cant say I currently want it for the bidet/water part (only 28, so the plumbing isnt as rusty thankfully), but the heated and massaging part with a gazillion settings looked cool and appealed to my secretly lazy nerd side. Unfortunately, the unit I saw in Menards was not plugged in so I couldnt test my fav features.

On another note, thanks to you and other elders who share the challenges/solutions of getting older and remaining active. As SWMBO says, Im still the stereotypical young and dumb guy, but I definitely like to hear about/learn some of these things BEFORE I ever need them.

+ or - Zero
06-11-2012, 11:54 PM
One nice thing about this forum is it is not intended for people at work so there is no "On Topic NAZI" who constantly chides those who post things that are OT. Frankly, I rather like it this way and wish more forums were like it in this manner. But I do understand the concerns of those who are busy and don't want to be constantly disturbed by OT posts while they are at work.

However, it is generally considered to be good manners, both here and elsewhere, to include the OT warning in the subject line of such posts.

As for the bidet thing, I have been considering it for a while now. Age does create more problems. There are some attachments that are a lot more reasonable in price but they will not have all those fancy features, just cold water. I was in the Army and can put up with anything. I think.

+1 on the nature of this forum, I wasn't actually commenting on it being OT so much as the shear degree of the OT subject matter.

I really do think it deserves some sort of special recognition... like a special toilet seat... Oh wait...

Actually at 71 myself I confess to thinking about such things as devices like this to make life easier, but I'm positive that I will leave the cold water to you. I'm just no where near that tough...... buuurrrr.

A.K. Boomer
06-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Dang you guys are getting old....:(

LKeithR
06-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Make sure nothing is "Dangling" making contact with the water!!:D

As one becomes older that is usually less of a problem...

A.K. Boomer
06-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Oh im not so sure about that --- I could see certain parts of the anatomy swapping places in the gravity challenged situation...

gnm109
06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I understand that the same company is coming out with a new "convertible" model. It's a toilet b' day and a bidet by night. :)

JoeLee
06-12-2012, 01:03 PM
WOW..... this post is really OT !!

JL..................

vincemulhollon
06-12-2012, 01:33 PM
WOW..... this post is really OT !!

Lets bring it on topic... real machinists would use coolant instead of water.

Gravy
06-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Dang you guys are getting old....:(

You getting any younger?:p

dewat
06-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Low tech bidet, I can reach the sink faucet from the toilet, so I screwed on a water pick diverter valve and a length of 1/4" od tube, haven't used paper in years. Some valve arraignment under the tank would work too.

rohart
06-12-2012, 07:55 PM
For several years I have been unimpressed with manufacturers in the plumbing industry in the UK.

Once the public water utility was privatised, and the sharks stopped investing in water provision, they started complaining about dmestic users using too much water, and now they say they are going to install meters everywhere to reduce consumption.

There are many innovations that could reduce consumption, but manufacturers can't be bothered producing them in this country. Undercounter hot water buffers for the kitchen and foot pedal water valves for the bathroom sink are two that spring to mind.

It's nice to see some useful and sensible developments somewhere in the world.

A.K. Boomer
06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Low tech bidet, I can reach the sink faucet from the toilet, so I screwed on a water pick diverter valve and a length of 1/4" od tube, haven't used paper in years. Some valve arraignment under the tank would work too.

Ok im out - that's it --- TMI....

sasquatch
06-12-2012, 09:49 PM
One of those "car wash" brushes spinning with Hot Soapy water would do a great job!! -Then a quick little "Rinse",, then a temperature controled warm "Air Blast" would be quite refreshing.

(micro switch on the toilet seat so when you "sat" down the "Exhaust" fan would come on , along with a deodorizer shot !:D

Mcostello
06-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Dewat, I sincerely hope you remember to use the right WaterPic in the morning, It might "leave a bad taste in your mouth." :)

Forrest Addy
06-13-2012, 01:16 AM
Brainstorn!!

Does it have butt recognition? Does it have a Pelteir effect heater? If it recognized in-law's butts it could switch from warm to freeze discouraging lingering visits.

I'm a genius!!

Ron of Va
06-13-2012, 09:23 AM
I looked at these things about 10 years ago. At that time they were in the $600-$800 range. The water supply is no problem, but these things come with about a two foot electrical cord.

The only thing that kept me from buying one was the fact that I would have to find an existing power supply and install an electrical outlet in the side of the bathroom vanity. That would be a pain in the ass.:p

Weston Bye
06-13-2012, 09:49 AM
For those who suffer incontinence issues, (prostate surgery or other reasons) and are using pads, hosing down the region followed by a warm air blow dry might provide welcome relief from marinated um... apparatus.

danlb
06-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Let's add some machining content....

I have a spare "one shot oiler" from my mill. I can get a toilet seat for $20 at the hardware store. What diameter nozzles should I use to ensure one shot does the job?

:)

Dan

+ or - Zero
06-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Let's add some machining content....

I have a spare "one shot oiler" from my mill. I can get a toilet seat for $20 at the hardware store. What diameter nozzles should I use to ensure one shot does the job?

:)

Dan

Depends entirely on how big an A$$ hole you are.... er, have. :D

gnm109
06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
This thread takes me back to the University when I was studying "Gargantua and Pantaguel", by Francois Rabelais, 1494-1553. He has an entire chapter on the search for a proper "torchecul or wipe-breech'. After much study, he settled on the "neck of a warm goose", its benefits "penetrating even to the base of the very brain".

So, there's nothing new under the sun.

+ or - Zero
06-13-2012, 09:53 PM
This thread takes me back to the University when I was studying "Gargantua and Pantaguel", by Francois Rabelais, 1494-1553. He has an entire chapter on the search for a proper "torchecul or wipe-breech'. After much study, he settled on the "neck of a warm goose", its benefits "penetrating even to the base of the very brain".

So, there's nothing new under the sun.

Good grief! A live goose?

Was he also fond of pâté de foie gras? --A possible source of warm but dead goose necks, after harvesting the pâté de foie gras.

Or maybe the real deal is he just liked to be goosed --forgive me I just could not resist that. I know, I know, I should have tried harder...

Toolguy
06-13-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm thinking a freshly harvested one. A live goose would be a loose cannon around one's nether regions.:eek:

+ or - Zero
06-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm thinking a freshly harvested one. A live goose would be a loose cannon around one's nether regions.:eek:

Yes, I'd say so. Not around any of my regions, for sure. long ago I had a goose (a one of everything ranch/farm --a play ranch, not a working one), anyway it was quite mean and one day it took out after a person --long story short, it broke his jaw with one of it's wings. A real mess that was. I know I won't be having any geese around me again --I'll leave that to the guys that know how to handle them. They are pretty out on a river/pond... at a respectable distance.

I guess I'll have to check out Gargantua and Pantaguel‎ --Google tells me it's Pantagruel. It seems he's interesting enough to learn about (François Rabelais I mean).

Amazing what one can come across/find out about, on a machinist forum... and that's not to mention the latest in a bidet for the home (just to stay on topic). ;)

Elninio
06-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Why would a man use a bidet? I can understand diarrhea, but i would do enemas instead (if it's a medical condition). If it's a lifestyle thing (like, you can't stop eating cereal because you love cereal), i would fix the diet problem.

+ or - Zero
06-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Why would a man use a bidet? I can understand diarrhea, but i would do enemas instead (if it's a medical condition). If it's a lifestyle thing (like, you can't stop eating cereal because you love cereal), i would fix the diet problem.

Well hemorrhoids, before and after surgery come to mind, among other things. I'm betting you aren't among us old worn out guys... yet. :o

gnm109
06-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Yes, I'd say so. Not around any of my regions, for sure. long ago I had a goose (a one of everything ranch/farm --a play ranch, not a working one), anyway it was quite mean and one day it took out after a person --long story short, it broke his jaw with one of it's wings. A real mess that was. I know I won't be having any geese around me again --I'll leave that to the guys that know how to handle them. They are pretty out on a river/pond... at a respectable distance.

I guess I'll have to check out Gargantua and Pantaguel‎ --Google tells me it's Pantagruel. It seems he's interesting enough to learn about (François Rabelais I mean).

Amazing what one can come across/find out about, on a machinist forum... and that's not to mention the latest in a bidet for the home (just to stay on topic). ;)

Rabelais was a wonderful writer who is always taught in literature classes, along with Chaucer, who has some wonderful passages of his own.

Rabelais was considered to be one of the finest of the writers of scatological novels. Guess that's why I remembered him. Yes, I do have a degree in English.

No discussion of bodily functions and bidets could be considered complete without reference to Rabelais.

914Wilhelm
06-13-2012, 11:31 PM
$200 seems like a deal when you live with people who use TP by the baleful.

+ or - Zero
06-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Rabelais was a wonderful writer who is always taught in literature classes, along with Chaucer, who has some wonderful passages of his own.

Rabelais was considered to be one of the finest of the writers of scatological novels. Guess that's why I remembered him. Yes, I do have a degree in English.

No discussion of bodily functions and bidets could be considered complete without reference to Rabelais.

Now I know why I thought mayfieldtm deserved an award for starting this thread --I didn't know why then, but look at what it has brought forth;

"Rabelais was considered to be one of the finest of the writers of scatological novels." pointed out by someone with an English degree, no less. On a machinist forum.

I love it! Although it has increased my 'must read' list considerably --and I thank you for that!

I never got along well with formal English lit., but on my own (I don't know if I noticed it on my own or it was something I heard or read) I realized that words are what we think with, and that controls how we think. I've been in love with words (usage/meaning and how they can be used --for good or ill) ever since that awakening. But it's 'self taught' so all new venues are fun to discover. Again thanks. Enough off topic about me.

I never considered 'scatological' and novels together before. I shall remedy that.

And I might even buy a trick bidet toilet seat --I doubt my wife would argue against it... I'll go ask her. It should be an interesting conversation...

Ron of Va
06-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Why would a man need a bidet?

In a word, hair and what gets tangled it. When dry, it can pull the skin raw. The older you get, the worse it gets. Trying to get it all cleaned out of the hair can be just as bad. Ok, enough said. TMI

Cheeseking
06-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Why would a man need a bidet?

In a word, hair and what gets tangled it. When dry, it can pull the skin raw. The older you get, the worse it gets. Trying to get it all cleaned out of the hair can be just as bad. Ok, enough said. TMI

Dingleberries??? Swab some nair up there.....:o

mayfieldtm
06-14-2012, 08:55 PM

I'm having a hard time (no pun intended) reaching back there.
My paper bills have been increasing exponentially.
I installed one of those hand held Bidets for my Wife, years ago, I never could use it, the cold water makes me pucker.

I've considered machining a nice brass handle that I could attach a big wad of paper to, butt, the Bidet is a nice solution.
I also have a stick that I hang by the toilet. Its used to break up any over sized floaters that won't otherwise flush without clogging. It's used quite a bit by my in-laws.

It came with a 3' power cord.
I attached wiremolding along the back wall and up to my shaving outlet.
I has a junction box where I plug the 3' power cord into a shortened extension cord.
It turned out looking nice.

Tom M.

sasquatch
06-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Sure is some "real Life" experiences described here!!:D

Gravy
06-14-2012, 09:19 PM

If you got poo on any other part of your body, would you just wipe most of it off with paper or wash it off? Clean feels better.

I wish I had a Costco nearby...

sasquatch
06-14-2012, 09:44 PM
SO,, while we're on this "CRAP" of a subject, some people actually check their "Stools" monthly, apparently if you know what to look for it can tell you about the state of your'e health!!:eek:

Think this must be similar to looking at the drainings from the car crankcase after an oil change,, looking for metal filings etc.:rolleyes:

oldtiffie
06-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Lets bring it on topic... real machinists would use coolant instead of water.

"Real" machinists would do all the wiping on a belt sander (coarse belt).

But if you really are adventurous, try using an Eastern (Japan) "squat toilet" - preferably sober the first (and any other) time. Not for the faint-hearted first-time user.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=squat+toilet&hl=en&rlz=1W1IRFC_enAU360&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5I3aT8OzK8OsiAfVpYjUAg&sqi=2&ved=0CHIQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=818

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Squat-Toilet

So for a lot of obvious reasons, a bidet is preferable.

Best of luck.