PDA

View Full Version : I made adjustable "feet" for my BP...

cuemaker
06-11-2012, 09:05 PM
In preparation of the move, I made some feet for my BP...

I cut a 2.75-8tpi B16 stud. Then added a 2.75-8tpi 2H heavy hex nut. Tapped the top for a 1/2 stud.

Now not only does it sit high enough for a pallet jack to slide under, but they very adjustable...

Not sure if I will keep the feet on after the move..With these I could level the mill very easily....

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/xringx/photobucket-10403-1339459074467.jpg

xalky
06-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Very cool...I like it. They look heavy and stable enough to keep the machine on there all the time.
I'm just wondering if the machine casting is heavy enough in that area to support the full weight all the time. It's obviously doing the job now, but I wonder if the machine had some heavy part on it plus vibration might crack the casting. I suppose if the weight is distributed around the bottom of the casting it might be ok.

cuemaker
06-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Very cool...I like it. They look heavy and stable enough to keep the machine on there all the time.
I'm just wondering if the machine casting is heavy enough in that area to support the full weight all the time. It's obviously doing the job now, but I wonder if the machine had some heavy part on it plus vibration might crack the casting. I suppose if the weight is distributed around the bottom of the casting it might be ok.

Excellent points... I have no clue......

lakeside53
06-11-2012, 10:01 PM
I've seen many where the holes are threaded to 3/4-10 for levelers. Never seen one cracked.

xalky
06-11-2012, 10:39 PM
I've seen many where the holes are threaded to 3/4-10 for levelers. Never seen one cracked.
Good to know.

flylo
06-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Is it home yet?

cuemaker
06-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Tomorrow evening...pick up trailer at 4pm ish....

Carld
06-12-2012, 12:51 AM
I threaded the four holes, welded a nut on four lengths of all thread and machined a taper on the ends and use them to level the mill.

aboard_epsilon
06-12-2012, 07:31 AM
GOOD POINTS ..
Probably good, if your floor isn't level and the machine rocks on the floor...also good so that you can move the machine in the future short distances with a pallet truck.

bad points..
bolts look a bit weedy though ..and area in contact with the floor on each of them needs to be bigger...you could be point loading the concrete.

all the best mark

metalmagpie
06-12-2012, 10:30 AM
The subject of leveling Bridgeport mills was discussed at length on the old r.c.m. newsgroup. The consensus then was that the jacking holes on the corners are to level the machine, which should then be grouted solidly along all edges. It was said and bought off on by all that the base casting was designed to be continuously supported along its edges, not supported by 4 points.

bborr01
06-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Has anyone ever seen a broken casting from jack screws in the base? I have not.

Brian

Toolguy
06-12-2012, 11:03 AM
I have never seen or heard of a cracked base either. Most place I've worked had some sort of feet on them.

RWO
06-12-2012, 02:55 PM
The subject of leveling Bridgeport mills was discussed at length on the old r.c.m. newsgroup. The consensus then was that the jacking holes on the corners are to level the machine, which should then be grouted solidly along all edges. It was said and bought off on by all that the base casting was designed to be continuously supported along its edges, not supported by 4 points.

I beg to differ. My BP base rim is relieved about 1/4" on all sides except at the rounded corners. It was cast that way, not later modified. It's obvious to me that the corners are designed to take the weight of the machine. The base corner holes are threaded 3/4-10 and I have leveling studs with swivel bases on them supporting the machine. It's been that way since I got it in 1995 without any problems.

The factory manual shows leveling shims at the corners when the machine is to be bolted down. There is no mention of grout.

RWO