PDA

View Full Version : calling OIL MAC-Dan God shave the queen

Alistair Hosie
06-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Sorry george and John couldn't resist that :D:D:D serious question is

is this a good useful thing to own I get fed up with chips getting everywhere ?
Alistair

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370295414826?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

MaxHeadRoom
06-12-2012, 05:26 PM
On a small mill etc, you can also use thin reinforced rubber sheet, that is what I put on a Excello Knee mill.
Got it from a local supplier.
Max.

Alistair Hosie
06-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Is it as good as this or for twenty quid should I buy this?
My problem is I figure this will also get very shabby dirty as its a concertina type construction.Alistair

Peter.
06-12-2012, 05:54 PM
I can't stop the chips getting everywhere either Alistair but I did just buy a Numatic vacuum cleaner off eBay which makes the cleaning up of them sooooooo easy it should be outlawed. I wish I had done it ages ago - it was 50 well spent!

rohart
06-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Rubber is for sissies and perverts.

I use a half inch paint brush to get the swarf off the top surfaces, onto the tray. Then I let the vacuum have a go at them.

From today, life will be less interesting. I've been letting the hose nozzle make its music louder and louder as the worn edge of the nozzle built itself into the shape of a clarinat reed. I just sliced it off, and peace reigns once more.

What I want is a vacuum that provides an on/off switch on the hose nozzle so I can pick up the nozzle and run it one handed.

I do still have the fun of kicking over the old ice-cream carton which acts as a dustbin and sits under the drill press table.

After all the above, I have to admit to crawling over the floor on my knees wielding a dustpan and brush once a day. Even the vac won't clear what the shoes will find.

A.K. Boomer
06-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Score one here for being a pervert --- I luv mine and it works great -- they are actually standard equipment on allot of mills nowadays and mine came with it but I was already used to them as my friends shop has them ----

you just pull them back and vacuum between real quick - hardly ever anything under to clean so they do save ways,

acordian up front and just a drape in the back from the top of the mills colume to the table saddle.

they do work great.

sasquatch
06-12-2012, 08:19 PM
The queen "Shaves" ?????:eek:

gwilson
06-12-2012, 09:28 PM
You need 2 of them for a Bridgeport type. I wouldn't be without mine. I cringe every time I go into a shop and see the unprotected mills.

A.K. Boomer
06-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Why 2? I usually just see one up front and a rubber drape in the back - do you have one in the back too?

mike4
06-13-2012, 04:56 AM
Is it as good as this or for twenty quid should I buy this?
My problem is I figure this will also get very shabby dirty as its a concertina type construction.Alistair
Make sure that its clear of any large swarf, like drill shavings before you wind the table back as they will put holes in the folds rather quickly.
Michael

oil mac
06-13-2012, 12:38 PM
If i was on production work big time eight hours per day, I think i would have them fitted, but personally for all the milling work i do I just use a small shovel & brush, If one is careful and has vigilance, , By that i mean watching the cuttings do not get down into the vee ways etc

I think the machine which spreads the most nasties for carrying in the house is the shaping machine

OIl Mac (BY Royal Appointment):D

Alistair Hosie
06-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Your lordship OIL mac er MY pal Dan
I agree with you , maybe for all I do I won't bother with one besides I have a large vee ways running up my mill and don't want to drill into that.Alistair
BY pauper ular appointment.:D Alistair