PDA

View Full Version : One Shot Lube System Question

Tom S.
06-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Just picked up a used Enco mill drill that has a one shot lube system installed by the previous owner. Didn't realize it until I got it home that the oil feed grooves for the X axis are in the table instead of the saddle. These feed grooves are nearly the full length of the table and extend beyond the saddle. When I pump up the lube system oil runs out these grooves into the chip tray. I thought about putting on felt wipers to help retain the oil but the gib adjustment screws prevent this on the front of the saddle.

Any ideas?

lakeside53
06-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Take the table/saddle off and put it right...

Don Young
06-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Maybe those ways don't need nearly as much oil as they are getting. You could reduce the size of the metering orfices, or install some if they are not present.

You might figure out how to install front wipers if you make the retainers L shaped so they could fasten to the side.

Tom S.
06-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks to both for your input. Unfortunately putting feed grooves in the saddle won't correct the flow of oil out of the table grooves.

I will look at the feasibilty of mounting "L" brackets for felt wipers. May work.

wern
06-14-2012, 01:07 PM
What a stupid thing to do, can you not fill in the grooves with epoxy
or white metal then scrape flat and put the grooves in the saddle part of
the slide?

Werner

Tom S.
06-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Werner - I like your idea of filling the grooves. What do you think about using JB Weld?

lakeside53
06-15-2012, 11:25 PM
It will work and outlast the machine. Degrease thoughly... then again to be sure. Wouldn't hurt to run an awl in the grooves to scratch up the bare metal. Mask to minimize the removal process.

Mix real well in exact proportions. JB is adjusted so both portions have the same density, so you can do it by weight. If you don't have a postage scale, just mix the entire contents of both small tube.

JoeLee
06-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Unfortunatley wipers aren't going to solve the problem. The oil will just flow through the felt as if it wasn't even there. I would take the table off and fill the entire groove with Devcon or a similar type epoxy and then just scrape it flat. Enough oil runs out all over the place without having a channel for it to flow through, besides since the oil can flow so freely through the groove I would think that not much of it is getting to the flat surface of the ways as it should.

JL..............

wern
06-16-2012, 02:34 PM
I am not familiar with JB weld but lakeside53 seems to have it covered.

Werner

Tom S.
06-17-2012, 11:33 AM
I'll give JB Weld a try and let you know how it turns out.

jkilroy
06-17-2012, 12:11 PM
So it currently works but is a little messy? One, don't use so much oil, two, clean up the drips once a month or so. Otherwise, get to work.

A.K. Boomer
06-17-2012, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't do a thing except for maybe metering down the port/ports a little if the oil is that much overkill.

it's going to come out regardless and that's good because it tells you its working -- having oil flow on the bottom channel is an "illusion" once the level drops in the channel just slightly - then it's useless and just finds it's way out or sits just below the contact level -- not much help..

having the oil in the top channel insures that all oil will make it onto the saddle way. just saying, not as bad as it sounds...
and in fact could be perfect for a one shot before using a machine for the day.

If you JB weld it and re-do the bottom way for having channels you potentially do two things - one; create a more inferior lubrication system,

two; run the risk of having the metal/epoxy come off and wedge and wear at your ways without you even knowing it...

Stop and think why they did it first and many times you will not want to change anything -- channels in the top are also superior for flushing chips and they do not retain them as much either - channels in the bottom build up "chip sludge" , just saying, something to consider,

also --- you say "when I pump up my one shot" what do you mean by that? how many pumps are you going? --- all that's needed is a good coating of vactra and your good for the day unless you have CNC and are doing extremely high rep's then you need to use good judgment.

also - keep in mind there is a delayed reaction -- so do one pump and then look if things get good and juicy 5 minutes later after using a little - if all surfaces have this effect evenly then one shot lives up to it's name... if not look to orifice sizing or adjusting to create even oiling...

Tom S.
06-17-2012, 02:15 PM
The Y travel has grooves in the base slides and are are captured by the saddle. No open grooves at either end of the travel. When I pump up (one pull on the plunger equals 800 cc) a small amount of oil oozes out of the joint between the base slide and the saddle slide. Seems to me this is ideal as most of the oil stays where it's supposed to be and I have a visual indication that oil is being supplied as intended.

A.K. Boomer
06-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Don't compare the Y travel to the X travel - they are different so why would you treat them the same? The Y travel is lower than the X, so of course they want it somewhat sealed right?

this ensures fluid is getting up to the X, then the X is just a fluid dump, but in the process all is lubricated... (depending on whether or not you have a knee mill and it's lube config.)

I routinely go through my table and saddle and hand lubricate my dovetails as they don't see anything except wicking action from my one shot and that's not enough to my liking... ;)

If the X was sealed and its the highest point then the bottom places just might leak more without the top getting much, by leaving the top open you ensure good flow throughout -- think of it as a non restrictive last stop dump... but once it dumps you can be sure it and everything lower is getting lubed -- so use your X as a gauge on how far or how many times to pull up your one shot plunger...

Tom S.
06-23-2012, 11:30 AM
First I want to say thanks to everyone for their input. Got a lot of feedback on how to approach my oil feed issue. As I said in a previous post I elected to fill the table grooves with epoxy and cut new grooves in the saddle X slide ways. Got the machine back together and the lube system is supplying oil to the slide ways without pumping it out into the chip tray. Both X and Y slides show oil wicking out of the joints which tells me they are getting ample oil. Now its time to make chips!

wern
06-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Well done!

Werner