PDA

View Full Version : Beaver milling machine

charlied55
06-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Can anyone tell me how to get a manual for my Beaver milling machine? Also if anyone knows what kind of oil goes in the head where the sight galss is, i would appreciate knowing.
Thank you
Charlied55

rode2rouen
06-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Manual may be available, depending on model, here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/beaver/

Rex

Ian B
06-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Which model do you have? VBRP? Stepped pulley speed change, or variable speed?

Ian

Mark Rand
06-19-2012, 09:09 PM
If it's got a sight glass, it must be a newer model. Based on the fact that my MkI VBRP doesn't have such a luxury:D .

None the less, Tony's web site is the best option for manuals.

Ian B
06-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Or, a lot cheaper, here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beaver-VBRP-MK2-Milling-Machine-Manual-/200777143495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ebf4014c7

Ian

Charles P
06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Or free from here

http://passion-usinages.forumgratuit.org/t1844-beaver-mk2

Charles

charlied55
07-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Which model do you have? VBRP? Stepped pulley speed change, or variable speed?

Ian
I have Model #VBRP Ser# 4126?2 I could not see the5th number. It is a step pulley speed change.:) I would appreaciate any help you could give me on what oil i need to use in the head.
Thanks,
Charlie

Charles P
07-03-2012, 05:04 PM
I have Model #VBRP Ser# 4126?2 I could not see the5th number. It is a step pulley speed change.:) I would appreaciate any help you could give me on what oil i need to use in the head.
Thanks,
Charlie

It's on page 45 of the free downloadable manual that I posted a link to

Charles

Errol Groff
07-03-2012, 09:53 PM
OK. I tried but can't resist. How does one fixture or clamp a Beaver for milling?

sasquatch
07-03-2012, 10:35 PM
By it's tail of course!!:D

Toolguy
07-03-2012, 11:04 PM
I prefer to drill them!;)

ML_Woy
07-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Saw your post responding to someone asking for assistance finding a manual for a Beaver milling machine. Your reply seemed to sound like you have a Beaver or have used one in the past.

I have just purchased a milling machine made by Balding Engineering, the maker of Beaver machines, named a "PAL", bought a manual from Tony in England and found out there was very little published about the machines. Tony said the machines were made up from pieces from runs making the "VBRP" model just before they shut down. I do know that it is listed as a lighter model designed for light work and instruction.

Since I am new to milling, I am looking for someone who has knowledge of the machine that I can ask questions of as I begin to use it. There are some missing parts and I will have to replace or make them. I would like to add a DRO and some power feeds as time and money permit along the way.

If you are this person, fine, if not could you direct me on my search?

M.L. Woy

Ian B
07-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Could you post a couple of photos of your machine? If it's indeed made from pieces of VBRP's, then maybe the missing parts could be sourced in a similar way. Which parts are missing?

Ian

mikethemix
09-01-2013, 04:49 PM
I am a newbie who has just acquired a Beaver VBRP MK2 machine on eBay and would very much appreciate the advice of the experienced members of this forum...
My machine has the manual change belt driven head.

Before transporting home I saw the machine work nicely. For the trip home we rotated the head 90 degrees to reduce headroom. Now it is in my garage the quill will not move under either under manual or auto feed. I downloaded the free manual ( thanks to excellent advice on this forum) and think I have understood the controls ok...
The quill lock on bottom right front is "free".
Having removed the manual feed cover (on right side) it seems the cross shaft which engages the quill is jammed. I have not yet opened up the auto feed gearbox cover...
Any tips?

Regards, Mike

Mark Rand
09-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Two possibilities that I can think of off-hand (although neither might be correct).
Has the auto feed trip nut on the vertical screw at the front of the head vibrated all the way to the bottom of the thread?
Does the clutch need knocking off (lever to bottom left of head, move to the left)?

regards
Mark

Wayne Sippola
09-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Mike,

I've had a variable speed Beaver mill for a couple years and have had trouble with the quill as well, but it was always due to something not selected right. Below the manual quill feed lever on the right side of the head is the auto feed trip that Mark mentions above. If this is engaged, the quill won't move unless the fine feed handle (wheel on the front left of the head) is rotated. You can't rotate the fine feed by hand unless the feed gearbox is in neutral. If it's not in neutral, it won't rotate under power unless the quill feed power is engaged by the knob aft of the manual quill lever.

So for hand feed with the lever, trip the feed below the lever. For fine feed with the wheel, engage the trip below the lever, and have the feed gearbox in neutral. For power feed, engage (pull, rotate and release the knob on the right side towards the back of the head) the drive, select the gearbox in 1, 2 or 3 and the fine feed handle will rotate when the spindle is on. Engage the trip (below the quill feed lever) and it will feed.

Wayne

Wayne Sippola
09-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Mike,

I'll add a caution on the power feeds. My Y feed box is the change gear type and had a burnt motor, along with stripped gears. I replaced the motor with a 2 speed one and had to make one gear. The X feed box was the 6 speed box which had previous repairs and I've repaired it as well. After a couple more gears were damaged while trying some of the higher speeds, I've pulled it and built a 3ph / VFD driven one. So I would suggest you have the feed stops set properly so the feed is shut off prior to running out of travel, and I would suggest avoiding the higher speeds. As well, don't tighten up the gibs / leadscrew nuts too much, as the higher forces required may cause damage. Good luck with your mill, I do like mine,

Wayne