PDA

View Full Version : Reversible Tapping Heads

kNucKlbustr
06-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Most of the tapping heads for sale, Im interested in, have a 6JT mount but a MT, R8, JT, or other shank. Ill need a 1/2 shank. How difficult is it to remove the arbor from these?

STM tapping heads- are they Czech ?

DICKEYBIRD
06-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Dunno 'bout STM brand.

I bought this one at Enco during a 20% off sale http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=291-5011&PMPXNO=8428566 and a 1/2" straight to 6JT arbor on eBay. It's a genuine Jacobs brand & was inexpensive. Just search for "6JT to straight."

1/2" is fairly puny looking to me & I wish I'd have gotten a 3/4" or 5/8" to fit an R-8 collet but at the time I was gearing up for a big job and was going to use the T/Head in my drill press with 1/2" chuck. The job got put on hold until late this year (I hope they don't back out!) and I haven't even tried it yet.

Good luck!

kNucKlbustr
06-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks for bringin that up. Its supposed to be 3/4. Almost made a bad mistake. I have the TTS setup.

If I buy a used one w/ a diff shank, how hard is it to remove the arbor. My Jacobs chucks are nearly impossible.

DICKEYBIRD
06-15-2012, 10:07 AM
I don't have any experience removing a 6JT. Surely the tapping head manuf. has some instructions on how to do it?? I'll look at mine this weekend when I get out in the shop and see if there's a provision for arbor removal.

Maybe warm up the head with a heat gun, then soak the shank in a dry ice/alchohol bath for a bit and whack the back side of the head with a lead hammer??

Toolguy
06-15-2012, 11:02 AM
There are wedges that come in different sizes for that job. They are shaped like a tuning fork to go around the shank. You use 2 of the same ones together to make a sort of adjustable parallel. When you squeeze them together they get thicker and wedge the shank out of the drill chuck, tapping head or whatever.