PDA

View Full Version : Drawer liner smells like skunk....

J Tiers
06-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Went to Lowes and got some of what I thought was the same material as last time..... A thin, ribbed rubber material intended as a floor covering.

Well, now they only had it in pre-cut rolls, all wrapped up in plastic.

So I get it home, and went to cut it up today.....

Sheesh.... It's not what I expected.... It is a harder material than the previous rubber, and it has that odd onion-like smell like skunk spray a ways downwind from the event.... Seems to be a property of the material, and not from a later incident....

That's assuming they don't have skunks in china..... (At the old work, we got speakers from the UK that stank of tomcat piss, but they ALWAYS did, so....)

Left it out and unrolled in hopes that it would dissipate, but a day of hot weather (35C) has not really lessened the stench much if at all....

What IS that stuff?

gwilson
06-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Some Chinese plastics really have a bad smell to them. I have heard about them before.

A.K. Boomer
06-16-2012, 11:48 PM
It will dissipate or at least get better and better,,,

Not skunk but I just bought a new throw rug for an area in the house --- unroll the damn thing and blahhh...

ranked out the entire room for days, not a good smell at all,

been a week and much better - also that could be because im just getting used to it:(

Carld
06-17-2012, 12:16 AM
I've noticed the same odor with some screw driver handles. It is a pretty disgusting odor.

JoeLee
06-17-2012, 12:19 AM
I've noticed the same odor with some screw driver handles. It is a pretty disgusting odor.

I also have some screw driver handels that smell like crap. Craftsman and Snap On, at least 25 years old or more. I think the plastic breaks down after several years.

JL...............

The Artful Bodger
06-17-2012, 12:22 AM
We have whole shops here that sell Chinese stuff and stink most strongly, the smell is somewhat like creasote. I have been told that it is something they spray into the shipping containers to stop mould and mildew etc while shipped and stored.

flylo
06-17-2012, 01:05 AM
That's got to be good for us! :(

Peter.
06-17-2012, 05:21 AM
"Smells like skunk" over here has a different meaning - you'd be fending off the local pot-heads - and possibly the drug squad :)

IanPendle
06-17-2012, 09:00 AM
I also have some screw driver handels that smell like crap. Craftsman and Snap On, at least 25 years old or more. I think the plastic breaks down after several years.

JL...............

I have some US made Proto screwdrivers with yellow plastic handles - they are 25+ years old and still stink if left in a confined toolbox - yet the handles are in perfect mechanical condition. I think that the smell is from Butyric acid - the same chemical that gives vomit its characteristic smell. (You knew that you needed to know this!)

Ian.

sasquatch
06-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Re: Smell:

Walk into a carpet store, that sells carpet and vinyl flooring,, Another STINKING place, can't imagine working in those places everyday.

Another one is lifts of "Flake Board" or "Aspenite" at builders supply stores.

Yup, really have to wonder what is in the air everyone is breathing.

Highpower
06-17-2012, 09:50 AM
That's assuming they don't have skunks in china.....
Because they ground them all up to put into their rubber supply??? :p

I replaced the tiny little plastic wheels that came on my band-saw with some 8" solid rubber wheels. The entire shop stunk like a HF store for months afterwards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/Highpwr/Temp/th_7X12.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v82/Highpwr/Temp/?action=view&current=7X12.jpg)

jkilroy
06-17-2012, 12:14 PM
God only knows what that crap is off gassing in your shop. Take the stuff outside and lay it in the sun for a couple of days, turning over every now and then. That should get rid of most of it.

J Tiers
06-17-2012, 12:22 PM
God only knows what that crap is off gassing in your shop. Take the stuff outside and lay it in the sun for a couple of days, turning over every now and then. That should get rid of most of it.

Absolutely....

It's been out for one day already... and is out there now..... still a bit of a "pong" to it, not dissipating very fast.

had to put it in the garage last night, 60 mph winds and thunderstorm.... Garage stank when I went to get the stuff today.

John Stevenson
06-17-2012, 12:26 PM
At the old work, we got speakers from the UK that stank of tomcat piss, but they ALWAYS did, so....)

When I worked at the speaker manufacturing plant and we got an order in for the US we used to get the factory tom cat to piss in the crate..............obviously worked :D

Small world isn't it ? ;)

J Tiers
06-17-2012, 12:27 PM
When I worked at the speaker manufacturing plant and we got an order in for the US we used to get the factory tom cat to piss in the crate..............obviously worked :D

Small world isn't it ? ;)

Did you get him to drink ale? otherwise that cat must have needed a little cart for his bladder to follow around on. Every single speaker had the smell.

Speaker company was Celestion..... Fane didn't stink.

BigMike782
06-18-2012, 11:12 AM
The new area Barnes and Noble bookstore opened 2+ yrs ago and had a smokey smell near the front of the store.I finally realized it was the magazine rack shelf liner(ribbed rubber stuff)that was the source of the smell.Two years later it still has that smell although not as bad.

Walk in to any Harbor Freight and that smell will hit you like a brick.

radkins
06-18-2012, 11:39 AM
When one considers the toxicity of some of the chemicals used to make plastics (especially in China!) it makes for some interesting thought about the long term effects (if any :confused: ) of breathing this stuff, may be more than just annoying in the long term.

J Tiers
06-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Some of it has been out in the sun ever since before post #1..... still smells more than I would like.

A piece that I cut 16.5" long, was 16.25" long after baking in the sun a day.... seems as if the chemical used as a plasticizer is the issue. That's the only reason I can think of for shrinkage.

if it doesn't quit stinking pretty soon, I'm gonna do a Tiffie with it.

Dr Stan
06-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Did you find the skunk I hid in your tool box yet? :eek:

J Tiers
06-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Didn't you hear?

They are re-introducing the American Burying Beetle in MO, and those little guys took care of it already.... Apparently they don't smell things the same way we do.....

Dr Stan
06-18-2012, 11:48 PM
One of my funnier experiences when I was in grad school was when the wife of a Norwegian couple who lived across from us asked my wife about the "cute little black cat with a white stripe on its back" that had been around the apt house that she thought about petting. :eek: Apparently they don't have skunks in Oslo.

Optics Curmudgeon
06-18-2012, 11:54 PM
That's odd, I thought my skunk smelled like drawer liner but now I have it straight.

J Tiers
06-19-2012, 12:03 AM
One of my funnier experiences when I was in grad school was when the wife of a Norwegian couple who lived across from us asked my wife about the "cute little black cat with a white stripe on its back" that had been around the apt house that she thought about petting. :eek: Apparently they don't have skunks in Oslo.

Yah, cat, eh...... Sure enough "cat".....

Another name for them used to be " 'phoby cat".... as in hydrophobia..... because skunks seem to be one animal type fairly regularly affected by rabies.

Your Old Dog
06-19-2012, 12:32 AM
havent' read the entire thread:

It was likely a rubber product from China. They don't do rubber like we do and it stinks to high heaven. Damn near gag in Harbor Freight.

JCHannum
06-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Among my accumulation is a Pratt & Whitney Hoke gage block case with the insert for holding the blocks of the same yellow plastic the Excello (I think they were) screwdriver handles were made of. It still stinks, date of manufacture is 1945, it does not go away with age.

J Tiers
06-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Among my accumulation is a Pratt & Whitney Hoke gage block case with the insert for holding the blocks of the same yellow plastic the Excello (I think they were) screwdriver handles were made of. It still stinks, date of manufacture is 1945, it does not go away with age.

That particular smell seems to INCREASE with age... it seems to be specific to that plastic. The plastic breaks down, as mentioned above... or perhaps it is a combination of plasticizer and breakdown.... the end point for that yellow plastic (and other colors of same material) is shattering in your hand, for screwdrivers.

The "rubber" of the drawer liners, which is actually apparently some sort of thermoplastic instead, should stink less after the plasticizer exits the material, which it seems to be doing.... the 1.5% shrinkage is evidence of that.

The question is whether or not it will stink ENOUGH less.

And also..... WHAT IS THE CHEMICAL COMPOUND?

rowbare
06-19-2012, 12:54 PM
I bought a couple of rolls of corrosion inhibiting drawer liner recently. I think it is Zerust brand and I didn't notice any real smell. Hopefully it works as advertised.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=68931&cat=1,43456

On the other hand, I bought some flat-proof wagon tires from Princess Auto. What a stench, I could smell them from the closed trunk and they were giving me a headache. Made in China of course.

bob

danlb
06-19-2012, 01:50 PM
I might have been misinformed, but I was told that the smell comes from the pesticide that is used to fumigate the cargo containers.

I have noticed it in rubber as well as cloth products... I've smelled it in basically anything that is gas permeable, including clothes at the cheaper stores. It subsides after enough time or after washing.

There is that other smell ( like vomit ) that my wife's tool box has. It has her tools from before we met 22 years ago. It's sealed for months ( or years ) at a time, and when I open it I almost retch. I should probably just air it out once in a while.

Dan

Alistair Hosie
06-19-2012, 03:43 PM
The plastic handles may smell like bakelite ever smelled it when it burns man that's skunk ok.On the other hand you've not found a pair of Johns old scantaloons down there have you:D and I aint talking about his sunday ones either pheeeeew:D Alistair

J Tiers
06-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Anti-corrosion stuff looks cool...... "up to 5 years", maybe.... that likely depends how often the drawer is open.

Doesn't give me good thoughts about how long it will be to get rid of the stink...... Didn't even check today, left it out to air in the hot sun. But I may yet go and see about some other source..... I do NOT like the stink, and th pieces I cut and put in some of the drawers still have their smell

John Stevenson
06-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Jerry,
Can you mask it with something ?
Over here they are selling some air freshners and also adding it to cleaners called Frebreeze.

They are running a TV ad where they put two blind folded people in a squat what has been sprayed with this stuff and they think they are in a different place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlw-ypNat7Q

I personally have written to the manufacturers to see if you can buy this in hand grenade version so I can pull the pin and throw it into small sons bedroom. :p

customcutter
06-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Worst smelling thing I've ran across was the drawer liners in a large rolling tool box that I bought at HF. It stank for months before finally disapating. That or else I've gotten used to it in the last couple of months.

Ken

J Tiers
06-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Used Febreze enough for the "issues" of an old animal enough that it just smells like piss to me......

Went to Home despot..... their similar stuff is rubber, which I like better, and has no smell. Bought a roll, the other stuff is going the way of Tiffie's lathe.