PDA

View Full Version : Harrison 600 Univeral Mill

mikerolly
06-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Good Morning Gents,

I have dropped a deposit on a Colchester Student 6 round head MK1 I believe.

Had a look at it yesterday and it is in great nick with a ton of tooling.

Anyway, the seller also has a Harrison 600 mill with both a vertical and horizontal head. It also looks to be in good nick with only a small ding on the table.

I am interested in this mill too, however, I cannot find anything like a user manual. I have no idea how to change the heads or operate the machine. It has powerfeed on the X axis and spindle is a NT 30 taper.

I looked on lathes UK and found all the info for the Student but nothing for the Harrison.

Any info on where to look for a user manual would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Robin R
06-16-2012, 11:56 PM
I had a look in the manuals section of Lathes UK and found a listing for all models of Harrison horizontal mills, that accept a vertical head. It was after the Harrison lathes and cost 35.

Ian B
06-17-2012, 03:20 AM
Mike,

Is it something along these lines: http://www.flickr.com/photos/18bikes/4875858654/

I have a similar-sized Adcock & Shipley 1-ESG. Nice, rigid, compact machine, but with (I find) one big problem, especially when using the vertical head - by the time you've fitted a vise and a milling cutter holder & endmill r whatever, you have almost no space left for the workpiece.

If you're looking for a mill to go with your new Student, how about something that doesn't sit on a cabinet, like a Beaver VBRP. Not that much bigger a footprint, *lots* more daylight.

If the mill's like my A&S, just unfasten the 4 bolts on the vertical head where it joins the vertical ways, and it pulls right off, leaving a 30 or a 40 socket. On the X power feed, it might be one direction only.

Ian

mikerolly
06-17-2012, 04:07 AM
That is the model Ian, thanks for the pic and information. It has certianly given me some food for thought. I do have a mill, a RF 45 clone, after seeing your pic with tooling mounted to the table I think I will stay with my mill until something else comes along.

You are correct Robin, my mistake in looking for the specific model rather than a manual that covers all versions.

Appreciate the help.

Mike