PDA

View Full Version : OT; tired of getting junk in your keyboard?

Elninio
06-17-2012, 01:21 AM
It's usually something like hair, crumbs, and the keys stop registering after some time. I got this key skin off ebay from china, and it's great - I'd like to glue it in place indefinitely. What glue should I use? If you decide to do this, make sure you get these molded ones, instead of the entirely flat covers. As an alternative, is there something like heat-shrink tubing, but in the form of a film?
http://i.imgur.com/QR9RI.jpg

gcude
06-17-2012, 01:34 AM
I have purchased from Compucover in the past and their keyboard covers have the material extended as tabs on all four sides and each of the tabs has about 1/4" of sticky with a peel off strip to expose them. You just wrap the tabs around to the back/bottom of the keyboard and press to stick.

For your cover, I don't see why you couldn't use double stick tape cut into thin strips and put it all around the edge of the keyboard and then apply your cover.

Elninio
06-17-2012, 01:35 AM
I have purchased from Compucover in the past and their keyboard covers have the material extended as tabs on all four sides and each of the tabs has about 1/4" of sticky with a peel off strip to expose them. You just wrap the tabs around to the back/bottom of the keyboard and press to stick.

For your cover, I don't see why you couldn't use double stick tape cut into thin strips and put it all around the edge of the keyboard and then apply your cover.

the plastic expands over time, or perhaps stretches, and starts to fold upwards in certain areas

robert
06-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Hair and crumbs stopping your keyboard from working? Maybe a tidying up now and then would be in order. It really has to be disgusting to stop your keyboard from working.

gcude
06-17-2012, 01:44 AM
In that case, you might be able to use 3M spray on adhesive.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Super-77/Super77/

You would probably loose a lot of the flex in the material though and may even cause it to crack and fail.

lakeside53
06-17-2012, 01:58 AM
It really has to be disgusting to stop your keyboard from working.

NO it doesn't... sesame seeds get under the keys on my laptop and it's a real pain to get them out.

Ireallyhateitwhentheygetunderthedamnspace bar.;)

Elninio
06-17-2012, 02:01 AM
Hair and crumbs stopping your keyboard from working? Maybe a tidying up now and then would be in order. It really has to be disgusting to stop your keyboard from working.
i type 16 hours a day, and my arms are very hairy. Put a dark colored towel near your keyboard and blow with a can of compressed air - you'll be shocked at the ammount of cramp that comes out of there.

P.s; I don't eat chips, bread, on the keyboard. Unless your hands are perfectly moist and you don't have any arm hair at all (like, some asian person, or burn victim), you will get this under your keyboard.

KIMFAB
06-17-2012, 02:03 AM
I keep several of these in stock. They can be found for ~$15 ea. if you buy 6 or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109232

When it gets too funky with chips or grease I just chuck it.
The covers get dirty too and also stretch or harden.

Elninio
06-17-2012, 02:03 AM
In that case, you might be able to use 3M spray on adhesive.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Super-77/Super77/

You would probably loose a lot of the flex in the material though and may even cause it to crack and fail.

crazyglue doesn't stick to this at all, do you think the 3m will fail in this case?

Elninio
06-17-2012, 02:04 AM
I keep several of these in stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109232

When it gets too funky with chips or grease I just chuck it.
The covers get dirty too and also stretch or harden.
it's a laptop. also i really like your restoration projects - i use tuna cans like that too.

KIMFAB
06-17-2012, 02:11 AM
it's a laptop. also i really like your restoration projects - i use tuna cans like that too.

The laptop thing makes it a bit harder but most of them have a USB where you can plug in a regular keyboard.
Now you'll tell me you don't have the space. :D

Thanks for the comment on the restoration things, I'm currently working on a Hyster forklift and a 4' X 6' plasma table.
Unfortunately another paying job is interfering.

camdigger
06-17-2012, 06:12 AM
An aquaintance of mine has dealt with this economically, easily, and conveniently. He has a flexible keyboard. Completely sealed. It will roll into a 4" radius in any direction.

He keeps it on a desk in his shop beside his Plasma table. When the crud gets too much even for him, he picks it up and shakes it off. Occaisionally, he may clean it with a soft rag and some kind of rubber compatible fluid....

jkilroy
06-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Find a local PC recycler, they will GIVE you keyboards for free. When they get funky, chunk em!

mickeyf
06-17-2012, 02:10 PM
My day job for many years has been as a software developer. Someone once asked me to fix the bug in the software that was causing a certain key to auto repeat, even when they didn't touch the keyboard. After I removed the staple that had fallen into the keyboard things worked fine.

gcude
06-17-2012, 02:27 PM
crazyglue doesn't stick to this at all, do you think the 3m will fail in this case?

The 3M stuff is pretty tacky. I would be concerned with the spray getting on the sides of the keys, not just the top and then when you apply your cover, there is much less material that is free to flex between the keys.

The roll-up type keyboards are great for occasional typing, but I would not want to type on one for hours a day. They are not great for speed typing.

aboard_epsilon
06-17-2012, 03:34 PM
all you do is

whilst the computers turned off

turn laptop or key board upside down ..and rap and drag your hands over the keys

all junk will fall out

all the best.markj

RWO
06-17-2012, 04:59 PM
All of the above tells why I bought a Unotron SpillSeal washable keyboard some years back. It nice to be able to flush out the keyboard under the hot water faucet about every few months.

RWO

MotorradMike
06-17-2012, 06:15 PM
What glue should I use?

Use Gorilla glue, lots.
I'd suggest a whole 236mL container.

Please post a pic of the results.
I'm thinking of doing this myself.

Bob Fisher
06-17-2012, 06:29 PM
I use an I Pad, problem solved. No room for cramp! Bob.

sasquatch
06-17-2012, 07:11 PM
i just vacumn the toast and cookie crumbs out!:D

BobL
06-17-2012, 07:40 PM
FWIW I recently fried my laptop by bumping into a table with a full cup of coffee in my hand and about 1/3rd of it went into the keyboard. It went ZIT and off. I immediatley stood the laptop on one side and some coffee dribbled out but the smell of burnt milk was not inspiring. Then I opening it up and a brown tarry mess across the motherboard greeted me. It was dead. :mad:

Hogridnfool
06-17-2012, 07:48 PM
An aquaintance of mine has dealt with this economically, easily, and conveniently. He has a flexible keyboard. Completely sealed. It will roll into a 4" radius in any direction.

He keeps it on a desk in his shop beside his Plasma table. When the crud gets too much even for him, he picks it up and shakes it off. Occaisionally, he may clean it with a soft rag and some kind of rubber compatible fluid.... A specialty paper mill that I worked at switched to those years ago. They work great!.....http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-Portable-Flexible-Silicone-Keyboard/dp/B00092Q210