X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grind Hard
    • Aug 2011

Craftsman Univesal Wrenches (914018)

Got gifted a set of these today from some small children that are somehow related to me.

These are the black-steel satin-finish wrenches with the 12 "teeth" rather than proper flats.

They look nice and feel nice in the hand... anyone have experience with them? Are they made of Bridgeport Butter Alloy? Or can they take some Shop Abuse?

Just wondering. They will be used regardless... how hard depends on what I find out about them. I don't want them letting me down while I'm up to my armpits in Serious Work.
    "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!
  • Alistair Hosie
    • Aug 2002

If you have work all the way to your armpits you're not doing it properly.Better check out the new health and safety guidelines.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

• Grind Hard
      • Aug 2011

I'm still dealing with the new OSHA guidelines that limit one person and one person only to be "on my ass" at any given time.
      "The Administration does not support blowing up planets." --- Finally some SENSIBLE policy from the Gov!

Comment

• saltmine
        • Nov 2008

They're made of the finest Chinese porous, cast steel available. As everybody knows Chinese steel is carefully alloyed with cast iron, copper, aluminum beer cans, dead alligator and rat carcasses. Some of it even contains glass and human remains.

On a good note, though. if they're Sears® "Craftsman" wrenches, they're guaranteed for life.... If you should break one and take it back....they'll shoot you.
        No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

• coalsmok
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Grind Bastard
          I'm still dealing with the new OSHA guidelines that limit one person and one person only to be "on my ass" at any given time.
          When did this come about?? I have gotten used to being rode by more than one part of managment at a time.

Comment

• Grind Hard
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by coalsmok
            When did this come about?? I have gotten used to being rode by more than one part of managment at a time.

Corporations are persons too. SO I have the ENTIRE company on my ass thanks to that legal loophole.

Comment

• John Garner
              • Jun 2003

GB --

That wrench opening -- which is generically termed a "Spline" or "12 Spline" -- has been around for at least thirty years, and in my experience with Spline sockets from Snap-On, Wright, SK, and an unknown-to-me maker in Taiwan, is able to turn bolt heads and nuts that are rounded off more than a standard 12-point Snap-On Flank Drive socket could grip.

Although I don't know for sure, I suspect that Sears sources the "Craftsman Universal" line of tools from Apex Tool Group (which is the result of the merger of Cooper Hand Tools and Sears' long-time wrench supplier, Danaher Hand Tools), which owns a number of highly-regarded tool brands. Apex Tool owns wrench-and-socket plants in the US, Taiwan, and China, and speaking frankly, has the know-how to make similar-quality tools in all of their plants.

Yes, I generally prefer US-made tools, but I've found over the past several years that my GearWrench ratcheting box-end wrenches and GearWrench Vortex (or is it Vertex??) pass-through sockets and ratchets are the ones I'm reaching for first . . . and they are all from Taiwan or, more recently, China.

John

Comment

• saltmine
                • Nov 2008

I guess I was fortunate. I bought all of my tools long before the major tool manufacturers moved their operations "offshore".

It's comforting to pick up a tool out of my tool chest and know it was made in the U.S.A. And, I won't have to worry about skinning up my knuckles if it slips or rounds off a bolt.

American made tools last virtually forever.
                No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

• Grind Hard
                  • Aug 2011

I am sold on this "Spline" wrench opening as John Garner calls it above. I will be getting more like this for my various machines, they work wonders on adjustment bolts on my grinders.

Within the capacity as "adjustment wrenches" I am very pleased so far. No sudden tumors, explosions, loss of function or profane outbursts so far!

Comment

• sasquatch
                    • May 2006

I have quite a number of USA or Canadian made tools, and i buy everything i find at yard sales, etc made in these two countries.

However i do have a few off shore wrenches, sockets, ratchets, impact sockets etc , and man have they improved these tools!! (Both China and Taiwan.)
                    The finish and fit is SO CLOSE to name brand N. American , that for the BIG difference in price, (Along with a Lifetime exchange over the counter warranty,) these tools are certainly reliable.

Comment

Working...
                    X