PDA

View Full Version : A scam I think, O/T

Bill McLeod
06-17-2012, 04:13 PM
I am selling a lathe and this is one of the replies [below]. I am 99.99% sure it's a scam and I am not giving any information tho this guy but I am curious how it works? I got it figured they gain access to my bank info through the paypal account and bingo I got no money left but how do they do it.
Thanks for the education in advance.
Bill

Thanks for your mail,I will not be coming to view it because of my
Job,i am an oceanist and i am buying this for my Dad. i accept your
offer and i will be happy to accept my offer.I can only pay through
paypal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account
online,but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i
insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email
address to make the payments,and if you don't have a paypal account
yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com i will be
expecting your email. my mover will come for arrange to pick up after
payment clear .Thanks and nice doing business with you...i hope we can
make the purchase as fast as possible?

1:Are you the first owner of it?
2:Why are you selling it?
3:And does it has any dent on it or anything?
4:Does it has any fault affecting it?
5:When have you been using it?

-- Just viewed your list and will like to purchase and please what is the condition and kindly send me more details about it with your final price.

tmc_31
06-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Bill, I think you are right. It does sound like a scam. There is a remote possibility that the guy is on the up and up. Given that remote possibility, if you even want to mess with it, you could email him back saying that the lathe is available for pick-up if prior arrangements are made and the receiver shows up with cash in hand.

I suspect that if you tell him something like that, you will never hear from him again.

Tim

Jaakko Fagerlund
06-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Probably he/she would send a fake "You have received a payment" email that looks like it is coming from PayPal when in fact its not. One idiot attempted this once to me when I was selling a scooter.

beanbag
06-17-2012, 04:44 PM
They will not get access to your bank account thru paypal.
The main clue it is a scam is that the reply does not actually mention "lathe". Plus the part about "my mover" is a giveaway as well.
Most likely, the scam will come in the second email, where he will "over-pay" and have you refund the difference. Or he could use the paypal "item not as described" tactic to get his money back. Or he could simply be harvesting emails for spam.

My technique these days is to include as part of the ad a request for info that the person is actually interested in this lathe. For example, if I were selling a lathe, I might have as part of the ad:

"Spam filter - to prove you are a real person, answer these questions: What materials will you be cutting? Which direction does a right hand tool cut?"

Only a person who actually wants to buy your lathe would be able or willing to answer these simple questions. Ignore all replies that don't contain this info.

danlb
06-17-2012, 04:50 PM
The broken english and other things tell me that this is probably someone overseas. That leaves you with little recourse if there is a problem.

This reminds me of a guy who bought my cell phone. He claimed that he was in Florida but was actually in Hong Kong and was buying them in the US to sell there. After getting it (forwarded by a re-shipper in Florida) he claimed it was defective and wanted compensation.

I wonder if this guy has a buyer lined up and just wants your hardware shipped to the other guy? Then he gets THAT guy's money and can contest the purchase from you to avoid paying. By the time it's all sorted out the other guy gets shafted.

Dan

Bill McLeod
06-17-2012, 05:16 PM
I checked with paypal and they say it's definitely a scam. the hooks come later and they go with me sending money via western union for a variety of bogus reasons. I was wrong they cannot get my bank info they talk the person [me] into sending money for a variety of bogus reasons. I think I'll stick with only accepting personal cheques written on Nigerian banks, that way I know what's going on [ha ha]. Paypal says they like items advertised for over 1 thou.

Frank Ford
06-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Of course it's a scam. Just do a Google search for "oceanist."

Astronowanabe
06-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Life is short, and the delete button, so close.

KiddZimaHater
06-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Here's the 'broken-English' dead giveaway that it's a scam:

1:Are you the first owner of it?
2:Why are you selling it?
3:And does it has any dent on it or anything?
4. Does it has any fault affecting it?
5:When have you been using it?

If someone is truely interested in buying a used lathe, I don't think they would ask, "Does it has any dent?"

madbear
06-17-2012, 05:51 PM
yea you might be carefull!
i had a guy reply to a craigs list add i posted for a "chisel mortiser".
he started out saying he accepted my price. it was for someone special,the first red flag, he would send the $ asap plus $40 to hold it the second red flag & the kicker, he wanted to see more pisc of the car! LOL
madbear

MotorradMike
06-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Broken English is rampant, you can give the guy some slack on that.
Oceanists, however, are a bad lot. Blackbeard was an Oceanist.
I would only deal with Lakeists or Riverists; and then only if they had boats of which I approved.

Seriously, figger out a way to waste his time, if you're lucky, you might even be able to turn the tables and cost him some money.

John Stevenson
06-17-2012, 06:31 PM
"Spam filter - to prove you are a real person, answer these questions: Which direction does a right hand tool cut?"

That knocks Airsmith out of the running for a start :D

Void
06-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Heh yeah... "oceanist" was the giveaway for me. Also the bit about having no online access to his bank account but, somehow, his paypal account does. A couple of things about that statement a flags for scams: 1. It doesn't make any sense. 2. No way I am going to say anything about weird problems with my paying accounts to a perfect stranger. Especially if I want their trust.

-DU-

danlb
06-17-2012, 07:12 PM
I forgot about the "overpayment" scam.

They hijack a paypal account (password guessing works) and then send you $2000 for a $1000 purchase. They explain the overpayment; claim that they hit the wrong key or something. They ask that you send them only $500 back via another method like western union. What sweethearts!

A week later you find the $2000 revoked by paypal, but your $500 is forever gone. The good news... you still have your lathe.

Dan

saltmine
06-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Ha! Ha! I got an e-mail from "US FBI Request Proof of Fund N/"
It's from the Anti-Terrorist and Monetary Crimes Division, FBI Headquarters in Washington, DC.

I won't go into detail, but it says the FBI wants me to verify that the Government of Nigeria has deposited the sum of $10,500,000.00 U.S. Dollars in my bank of America account through a process known to them as "secret diplomatic transit payment"

Seems harmless enough. They want to make sure the money didn't come from any drug cartels or terrorist organizations before they let me have the money.

And....all I have to provide is bank account numbers, credit card numbers & passwords, and a record of my banking history for the past ten years.

It's signed by "FBI Director, Robert S.Mueller III"

I'm rich! I'm rich!

By the way.....I don't have an account with Bank of America

CCWKen
06-17-2012, 11:10 PM
LOL... I get the "Want to place order for you product" emails all the time. No mention of what "product" but they'll pay by credit card sight unseen. All I have to do is send the product overseas. The email usually includes a legit looking address and signed the president of the company or inventory manager. What could go wrong? :cool:

I've often wanted to string them along but I don't even want to give them confirmation that the email address is valid. :rolleyes:

john hobdeclipe
06-18-2012, 08:32 AM
SCAM!

The real PayPal web url begins with https, not http.

I've gotten almost the exact same email before. Just delete it and move on, don't reply.

Jaakko Fagerlund
06-19-2012, 12:48 AM
SCAM!

The real PayPal web url begins with https, not http.
Doesn't matter, it still goes to the right place even if I would type paypal.com only and hit enter.

Black_Moons
06-19-2012, 06:26 AM
I got a guy asking to buy 10 mitutoyo digitial calipers.. saying they knew I did not sell this item but wanted me to give them a quote anyway...
the model they wanted are $500 each!! No wonder they want to scam someone for them. I sure as hell would never pay that much for calipers.

Funny because I run a services site, Not a sales site.

And yea, lol at those FBI messages. Of course it does seem like the FBI has nothing better to do then try and patrol the world these days, randomly shuting down websites and illegal confiscating assets without a trial of non US citizens. So its hard to tell the fake FBI actions from the real ones.

Anyone else feel sick whenever they pay for a movie, just to be threatened with 5 years jail time and $250,000 fine for thinking about copying the ****ty $5 used DVD within 10 seconds of pressing play on the DVD?

Meanwhile, I have never seen that warning once on a copyed movie. Go figure.

Ian B
06-19-2012, 07:08 AM
As Mike said, waste their time. See http://www.419eater.com/ on ways to do this.

Once you're finished with them, forward their email, with headers to abuse@ followed by whichever domain they're emailing from (eg. abuse@yahoo.com). Their email should then get shut down, wiping out any ongoing scams they're running.

Best to set up a separate email address for the purpose.

Not been lucky enough to receive offers of a free $10 million yet? Go and 'harvest' some - the scambaiting website's tell you how.

Ian

H8Allegheny
06-19-2012, 07:42 AM
As Mike said, waste their time. See http://www.419eater.com/ on ways to do this.

Once you're finished with them, forward their email, with headers to abuse@ followed by whichever domain they're emailing from (eg. abuse@yahoo.com). Their email should then get shut down, wiping out any ongoing scams they're running.

Best to set up a separate email address for the purpose.

Not been lucky enough to receive offers of a free $10 million yet? Go and 'harvest' some - the scambaiting website's tell you how.

Ian

If you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser, there is a free add-on and service called TrashMail that will generate random email addresses for you automatically. I use it all the time for signing up for various things. IIRC, you can keep trashmail accounts active for as little as several days or up to a month or two before they disappear. To have accounts last longer than that, or permanently, there is, of course, a paid variant.

+++1 on 410eater.com - some of the stories are so funny they'll bring tears to your eyes!

Brian
Taxachusetts

bob_s
06-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Meanwhile, I have never seen that warning once on a copied movie. Go figure.

Pakistan is full of them.

New copy of Windows 8 80 rupees at Friday market within days of release.

Bob Fisher
06-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Delete it and be done with it! If there is a serious offer it will come back. But I am turned off by the pigeon English. Bob.

charlie gary
06-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Here's how one guy handled a scammer.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=71762

oldstarfire
06-19-2012, 08:12 PM
For some rather raunchy reading, try "ebolamonkeyman.com"
This guy had sharp teeth!