PDA

View Full Version : OT sargent & greenleaf lock on gun safe

elginrunner
06-18-2012, 10:26 AM
I've had my gunsafe for about ten years. I just tried to get into it, and the dial is acting "sticky" I hear tumblers falling every so often but it's not a smooth rotation like it should be..... I haven't forgotten the combination either...

Do we have a locksmith in the house??

10KPete
06-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Sounds like it's time to disassemble the lock and clean it. The parts
need to be very clean to operate smoothly. No oil, grease, etc.

Perhaps someone here is a good instructor and could write up the
fairly simple procedure?

Pete

hal9000
06-18-2012, 11:24 AM
I had to install a new S&G mechanism on my safe when I got it. From experience, they aren't all that precise of a lock mechanism, but they are reliable and should be consistent.

You can get the series number (most likely an R 6700 series, they're very common) off the back cover usually and google the instructions and installation manual pretty easily. You can also easily take the cover off, defeat the safety, and operate it open to see what's going on and diagnose the problem. They're pretty simple and intuitive if you're mechanically inclined.

bborr01
06-18-2012, 11:38 AM
I have a gun safe with a S+G dial type combination lock on it. I bought it slightly used from a gun dealer that used it for his personal safe.

Thinking it would be a good idea to change the combination, I called S+G and they sent me the tool and instructions to change the combination free of charge.

Just be careful to torque the tumblers tight enough. I didn't at first and the combination skipped a number or so and it took me a week to get it open. I also found that it is better to slowly spin the dial when I am locking it instead of giving it a brisk spin. I am pretty sure that is why the combination skipped in the first place.

Brian

mf205i
06-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Locked out? Spin dial slowly for four or five revolutions to pick up the tumblers. Now in the same direction, spin briskly for a dozen or more revolutions then repeat the process in the opposite direction. Caution, spinning briskly without first picking up the tumblers can move them, thus changing your combination. The idea is to create heat, through friction, to soften and redistribute the old lubricant. You can also soften up the old lube by warming up the whole assembly with a hair dryer or heat gun. Bracketing the target numbers by a couple numbers in both directions is occasionally successful.
Good luck, Mike

elginrunner
06-18-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm at work now and can't try anything. The pisser of all this is, I've just sold a rifle on another forum, and guess where it is..... I really can't spend a lot of time screwing with it. My wife has called a locksmith out in the morning... I hope it wasn't a correspondence course :rolleyes:

Jaakko Fagerlund
06-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Sounds like you have neglected usual maintenance on that lock. They are mechanical and although with pretty sloppy tolerances, they will still needs some TLC at least once per year, depending on how much you use it.