PDA

View Full Version : Remote Driveway gate opener ??

cuslog
06-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Anyone here built or seen a nice driveway gate operator ?
We live in a semi-rural area and have about a 100 yard driveway. Have a locking gate there now but its manual only. Bit of a PITA, wife would like an "automatic".
One fellow I talked with described one he built with a car diff. stood on end, driven by a starter motor (I think). I have 110 V about 75 yds away from it now.
Anyone have a nice design or seen one anywhere ?

Your Old Dog
06-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Who you trying to keep in.....or out? :D We have chain link fence where I work and they have one of the horizontal rolling gates that I think is pretty neat. Looks simple to build too. I'll look for image....

http://www.cheyennefence.com/images/automatic%20sliding-gate.jpg

Steve Steven
06-21-2012, 11:33 AM
I had thought of building one for my daughters place, using a chain drive garage door opener. Main problem was the gate would be in two sections, pivoting on opposide sides of the drive. I had thought of either two drives, tied to one reciever by power wires, or a chain link under the drive in a tube.

Never did build it tho.

Steve

lakeside53
06-21-2012, 11:47 AM
I've installed many, but always buy them due to potential liability. The commercial versions comply with UL325. Lots of safety features to prevent or reduce entrapment injury.

My preference is the Elite SL3000UL slide gate operator (about $1300 mail order), but there are many others.

Even if you decide to make your own, it's worth reading the install/user manuals for a few operators.

I get a lot of my parts from here : http://www.gatehousesupplies.com/gate-operators-s/3.htm

Carld
06-21-2012, 12:05 PM
I do the service/maintenance for a propane company and they have a GTO 4000 series gate closer/opener. So far it's been a good choice and since the gate gets cycled about 20+ a day for 2 years now I'd say it's been a good choice. I seldom have to do anything to it except reset the closed positions and that's only after one of the workers keeps punching the remote closer button and confuses the control panel. If they would only push the button once and wait for the gate to open it wouldn't be a problem.

You can get a key pad panel with an intercom to talk to people and let them in. If they know the code they can open it themselves.

They use a two swinging gate system. In the past they had a sliding gate but it had a lot of issues with the gravel drive. If you have a paved drive a sliding gate will work but if you have a gravel drive I would use a swinging gate.

Ries
06-21-2012, 12:19 PM
I have built a few gates, but, like lakeside, I always sub out the actual gate opener, and, usually, the install of it- because I dont want to deal with the callbacks.
Gate openers fail. Its the nature of the beast. They are out in the weather, 24-7-360, and they are seldom maintained, and they are always designed to be as cheap as possible to do the job.

So that means even the expensive commercial ones require maintaining, greasing, adjusting, and repairing. Home built ones, without the benefit of R&D and failure testing, are going to require a fair amount of messing about with.
And it has been my experience that auto gate closers always fail at the worst possible time- at night, in the rain, with somebody impatiently waiting, has been my experience.

So- I would buy an off the shelf unit, as bullet proof as you can afford. Or, at the very least, include a manual delinking mechanism, so you can easily manually open the gate when it breaks, and be prepared to fix it more often than you like.

cuslog
06-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Who you trying to keep in.....or out? :D We have chain link fence where I work and they have one of the horizontal rolling gates that I think is pretty neat. Looks simple to build too. I'll look for image....
YOD: We're close enough to town yet in kind of a rural setting and the local kids like to park and drink beer on our road, toss empties out the window and such, kinda creeps out the wife. We live in a Log Home, get the odd "lookie Lou" driving in the driveway, drive around the house and leave without so much as a "Hello". THAT bugs me.:mad:
We get lots of Snow and ice in the winter, I don't think the rolling type would do too well here.

Yeah, maybe a commercial one with the built in "failsafes" would be a good idea.

PTSideshow
06-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Check out Tractor supply, they have a bunch of different ones, some solar and some hardwired at least it will be a good source of info on what kind is out there.
http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/nav/cat2/fencing_gateopenersgatehardware/0 they also have a ton of hardware for fencing.

Guido
06-21-2012, 01:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXJu-eGQf7A&feature=related

A popular type of gate (livestock) used on the King Ranch in South Texas. On your first trip through their gates make sure to get someone to demonstrate the required driving technique.

Not required is a chromed trailer hitch ball, but when you see one mounted on the left, front bumper of a pickup, it'll all make sense.

--G

co_farmer
06-21-2012, 01:40 PM
We have had a "Mighty Mule" double gate at the end of our driveway for several years. Keeps the deer out! Power is provided by two 12 volt rechargeable batteries. And they are kept charged by a solar panel. I didn't but the automatic opening addition, but installed a post mounted push button on either side of the gates.

Remote controls are in our car and pickup. Just hold to the windshield and press a button.

The gates work in -15F and 100F. I have had to replace a battery every two years or so, and had to clean the flux residue from the receiver circuit board. Other than that they are pretty good units.

The actual gates are 6 ft high and 8 ft wide. From a dog kennel!

Paul in Central Oregon