PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) horizontal mill

mars-red
06-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Just thought I'd quickly share my latest acquisition! I have been on the lookout for a small horizontal mill (I was skunked at an auction, a few weeks ago, on a Derbyshire micromill that I had my heart set on) and I ended up finding a Barker benchtop machine in nice shape, within easy driving distance. Found it just through word-of-mouth via a friend from one of the horology forums I frequent.

It has optional fine down feed (in standard form they come with lever feed on all axes, from what I understand), new Baldor motor, a rugged overarm support, 1" arbor, what seems to be a nice quality vise (no markings on it that I've been able to find yet), a small selection of 3C collets, and a few slitting saws and keyway cutters. It's not as small as the Derbyshire, but I think it's actually a better all around size for my needs. Once I get a few wider cutters, I'll be ready to start playing with it.

I'd like to eventually get a dividing head and tailstock for it (would be nice for making larger gears and pinions, I'm thinking), but for now I think it will make a great machine for cutting key ways and general surfacing.

Here's a pic - it's bolted to a rugged old printer's roll stand made of heavy gauge steel:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9gN6foF2SI4/T-M0CqlzvVI/AAAAAAAAAvA/9yA9OA_oUMc/s576/barker%2520mill.jpg

Bill Pace
06-21-2012, 03:07 PM
The little Barkers are very nice little mills -- especially with the overarm setup!

I had one in the 'conventional' setup and just could not find enough uses for it, so I sold it --now if it would have had the overarm....

Mine came out of hurricane Katrina and from what I could determine, it was virtually unused. As you noted, it came with lever arms on all 3 axes (later after this pic, I converted it to crank handles and micrometer dials) My vise appears to be different from yours (yours looks better!) - Im pretty sure mine was original. Having come out of Katrina, I had to completely disassemble it and do major clean up, and I was very impressed with the quality of the little mill.

A before & after pics

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/pace1980/Barkermill2.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/pace1980/Barkerbearings005.jpg

Mcgyver
06-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Nice little mill! Bill, that sure cleaned up well

Rex
06-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Nice mills guys. there was one of those in an auction I attended a few weeks ago. it was complete and in working order, some tooling. Had to leave before it came up, so left with a bid of $200. I did not get it, still kicking myself for not bidding more.

mars-red
06-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Bill, nice work on that machine, it came out great! The vise on mine was one the previous owner bought new when he acquired the machine from the original owner so it's definitely not original. I paid an extra $75 for the vise, above the $750 I got the machine and other accessories for. At the time I thought it was just an okay price, but the more I learn about the machines the more I feel like I got a pretty nice deal. A buddy of mine recently told me he parted one of these out not long ago, and sold the fine downfeed control parts for $400. :eek:

Kiwi
06-21-2012, 07:52 PM
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r457/Thorcalmac/WorkShop006.jpg
My vice appears to be of the same manufacture as yours it has PINKO on the label never found out who made them but it does the job well.
what great asset to the workshop

Arthur.Marks
06-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Huh. I never realized there were two entirely different headstock castings on the Barker. Max's mill has the overarm cast into the headstock, whereas Bill's---the one I'm more familiar with---doesn't have that overarm portion. I never noticed that before.

laddy
06-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Lookin Good! I bought an Atlas years before I ever used it. Now it it is a go to item automatically. Good luck with it. Fred

sasquatch
06-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Great looking mills guys , thanks for posting about these.