PDA

View Full Version : Testing/information on hydraulic pump

Jaakko Fagerlund
06-22-2012, 08:07 AM
I just my hands on a small hydraulic pump that came from a battery operated pallet stacker. It is a Hesselman PD 113 TD6 pump and was operated by a 12 V DC motor.

I'm going to use a 230 VAC motor to run it in a hydraulic system, but I couldn't get any info on the pump specs. What I'm thinking is what the maximum pressure is?

Or how can one test the pumps ability in terms of maximum pressure? The pump is a regular gear type pump.

hardtail
06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Usually there is a relief or safety built into the system.......hopefully lower than hoses start to blow........LOL

Modern hydraulics are usually high pressure-low flow in the 2-3500 psi range.

Jaakko Fagerlund
06-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Yeah, there will be a (safety) relief/bypass valve but the problem is figuring out the maximum pressure. The pump is not known by Google, I could only find information that Hesselman PD 113 - something is good up to over 20 MPa, which is pretty usual hydraulic system pressure. But, can I rely on the fact that it is the same with my pump. Maybe it is, maybe not, not losing much if the pump cracks as it was free :)

Almost finished with a small sized hydraulic unit, I think I'm using it for a small press one day.

hardtail
06-23-2012, 06:14 AM
One hates to assume anything these days but it sounds like it was a 12V powerpack setup to run a stacker.......any idea what what the stackers rating was and the hydraulic cylinder sizes? This would get you close with a factor of safety.......

I take it want to know what the force your press will develop? Do you have a ram already?

Jaakko Fagerlund
06-23-2012, 10:31 AM
One hates to assume anything these days but it sounds like it was a 12V powerpack setup to run a stacker.......any idea what what the stackers rating was and the hydraulic cylinder sizes? This would get you close with a factor of safety.......

I take it want to know what the force your press will develop? Do you have a ram already?
12 V powerpack indeed it was, until I tore it apart :) The motor was already bad, so had no chance of testing the system pressure in use. I noted that the rod/piston was 50 mm in diameter and the maximum loading was 1200 kg 600 mm away on the forks. I know it lifted at least 1500 kg easily, if the battery was in full charge. The piston pushed a double chain to lift the forks, so basically the force on the piston was double of what was the load on the forks.

From this I would say that p = F / A = (2 * 1500 kg * 9.81 m/s) / (0.025 * pi) = 14.8 MPa.

So I could hazard a guess of 20 MPa maximum.

The ram I'm still missing, but I do know of one source to get me a 100 mm diameter ram :) Plenty of force in that sucker.