PDA

View Full Version : Return springs for Encos,Grizzly,rong Fu etc...

Brad
06-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Does any body want to go in on some spring stock and have some clock springs made for the chinese machines that you can't get parts for. If anyone is interested let me know otherwise I will just keep using it without the return spring.

Bob Fisher
06-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Bought three springs form Grizzly a couple weeks ago to repair a cheap bench top DP we use for a particular job. They were cheap as well. Most of the small DPs seem to use the same spring. It's at least a good place to start. Bob.

Brad
06-22-2012, 10:51 PM
The spring I am looking at is 3/4" wide 77" long .035 thick are the dp springs you bought similar?

Bob Fisher
06-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Sorry Brad, they aren't even close to that. how thick is the material? Look in a clock supply catalog such as Merritt's, or Timesavers.They have tons of similar springs. Not expensive either. The typical antique American clock sounds pretty close to me.Bob.

JoeCB
06-22-2012, 11:57 PM
how did your spring fail? if just the end tab (hook) broke, this should be repairable by gently heating to draw a bit of the temper and reforming the end. this is often done on old outboard motor recoil starter springs... matter of fact a spring from an outboard recoil might work for you. Check at a shop , should have some broken ones laying around. Another thought , spring from a small spring balancer.
Joe B

tlfamm
06-23-2012, 03:08 AM
Bought three springs form Grizzly a couple weeks ago to repair a cheap bench top DP we use for a particular job. They were cheap as well. Most of the small DPs seem to use the same spring. It's at least a good place to start. Bob.

Assuming the OP is referring to an RF45 clone, Grizzly stopped carrying their two models about a year ago. I have the G0484 model, and in communications with Grizzly support, gained the impression that once the existing parts inventory was depleted, it would not be replenished.

Edit: it seems that DP's are the machines in question ...

Brad
06-23-2012, 10:37 AM
The spring is .035 thick and the break is on the keyhole end the hook side is fine. It is a enco drill/mill machine model 105-1117. I was wondering if shortening the spring and making a new keyhole mount would work as well.
Thanks for all the ideas sorry I was not more specific in the beginning. I am buying all the tooling for it now but the return spring was something I would like to fix eventually. The springmakers I have talked to said that buying the stock was the biggest expense for them and I just figured there had to be a few machines out there with the same issues.
Brad

PaulT
06-23-2012, 02:20 PM
These usually break as yours did, the end with the hole punched in it snaps off at the weakest part, across the hole.

Its easy to fix these and they will work fine with the slightly shorter length.

Just use metal snips to trim off the broken part and round the corners a little. Then use a metal punch to punch a new hole.

This worked fine on my import mill spring, even though like a dumb ass I had to do it twice as the first pass I was in too much of a hurry and punched the hole too far off center. so I had to shorten it twice and it still worked fine.

Paul T.
www.power-t.com

Bob Fisher
06-23-2012, 04:52 PM
As Joe mentioned, clock people reform a broken spring by annealing the end ,and reforming the connection. An inch less spring will not affect performance. .035in is pretty thick for a clock spring. Bob.