View Full Version : Question about Prussian Blue

06-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Is the Prussian Blue used for scraping the same as the stuff sold in art supply stores? If not, where do you get the scraping blue?

06-23-2012, 03:59 PM
I am sure its the same stuff.
A good auto supply will have the Permatek stuff.
All the supply houses in states KBC,Travers, Enco, MSC should have it.

06-23-2012, 04:31 PM
It's the same pigment but the artist's paint has drying oils as the carrier and the machinist's Prussian Blue uses non drying grease as a carrier.

06-23-2012, 07:37 PM
One brand name for it is Dykem Hi-Spot Blue.

Jaakko Fagerlund
06-24-2012, 05:17 AM
And one popular also is Diamant. I buy mine from eBay.

Your Old Dog
06-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Go to an auto parts store and ask for "layout solution". It can be thinned with dentured alcohol. Don't go nuts putting it on! I tiny bit goes a very long way and you don't want it on real thick. Prussian Blue is not a term used as well as "metal layout dye" is as I think you will find.

06-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Layout solution is a different product from Prussian blue used for scraping and fitment. Traditionally layout blue was similar to gun blue to color the suface of the metal so that scribed layout marks could be more easily seen. Nowadays most of it is a blue laquer.

06-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Layout dye and Prussian Blue are not the same thing. Layout dye dries rapidly. Prussian blue does not dry. It is used to reveal the contact between surfaces.

06-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Catalog number 6165K11 - $6.40 ea.
Trust me, one will last a looong time ;)

06-24-2012, 03:05 PM
www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com)
Catalog number 6165K11 - $6.40 ea.
Trust me, one will last a looong time ;)

Deepends on how much "recreational" use you have for it.

06-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I went by the auto parts stores in town and they looked at me like I was an alien when I asked about it, so no joy there. McMaster-Carr, here I come!

J. Randall
06-25-2012, 04:18 PM
That is odd that you struck out, most parts stores around here stock it, theirs comes in a tube and is Permatex brand, if you tell them you are setting up the gears in a differential, most will know what you are talking about.

06-26-2012, 06:08 PM
I looked around for a long time before I asked someone. Lots of Permatex sealants, but no joy on the blue. I'll try one of the places that caters more to mechanics than regular folks.

06-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Ask for gear marking compound, even the autozones and such carry it. Places that do sale more to machanics and small shops will be more app to know what it is though. The local automachine shops (head and block machine work shops) may also sale it to you, or atleast they will know where to get it if you do have a lot of trouble finding it.