PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy counter tops?

wierdscience
06-24-2012, 11:29 AM
I have some used epoxy resin counter tops I want to use for a workbench top.Only problem is I need to cut three or four of them down by a few inches in width so they match the rest.

What to cut it with?Carbide blade and an Skillsaw or?I don't know the mfg and have no clue what the composition is,but the stuff seems similar to mfg Slate.

Looks similar to this-

http://www.epoxyresintops.com/epoxy-resin/epoxy-resin-countertops

Duffy
06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I would think that your best bet would be a fine-tooth carbide blade. Ideally on a table saw with a dust collector. There WILL be A LOT of dust!
Another option might be a cordless skil saw with a diamond blade and a trickle of water from a hose for the lubricant/coolant/dust control. If you are adventurous, use a corded skil saw!
I watched a guy do exactly that to five foot pieces of granite for a shower stall. He was just using a Makita saw with the blade mounted backwards; (less splashing and the diamonds dont care.)

John Stevenson
06-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Known as Corian over here, just cut with a sharp carbide saw, mo problems, nephew cuts this all the while and I often get offcuts for plaques and badges, it engraves nice.

chipmaker4130
06-24-2012, 01:17 PM
I used some of the black stuff, from which school chemistry lab countertops are made, to make a table for my wife's potter's wheel. It was 1.125" thick and a piece 30" X 60" weighed about 70lbs! I cut it with a carbide blade on a table saw, and milled it with both HSS and carbide cutters. The dust it makes is VERY fine, flies everywhere and 'chokes you up'. Sure makes a nice table-top though.

J Tiers
06-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Is it the quartz composite stuff" Stone in a matrix? The matrix may be epoxy.......

Sometimes known as "Silestone"

Abrasive wet saw is likely best for that.

flylo
06-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Before making all the dust try a hand coping saw. We used to cut cultured marble to fit sinks & it worked fine & cut easy. May not work but try to cut a corner off you don't need & see.

RWO
06-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Corian is fine mineral dust mixed in acrylic resin. So called "quartz" or engineered stone( Sile Stone is one) is actual crushed stone, glass, metal, etc. in epoxy. Cultured marble is fine marble dust in polyester resin.

Corian and cultured marble can be thermoformed. Engineered stone cannot because the epoxy is a thermoset.

All can be cut with a carbide saw blade, but engineered stone is hard on the blade compared with the other two and a diamond blade is the preferred.

RWO

darryl
06-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Have not done this, but I would think that if there is a high stone content you would use a diamond blade. I would also think to keep it wet, partially to keep the dust down, but also to keep the resin content from gumming up.

Maybe try sticking one of those carbide rod saws in a hacksaw frame and trying it on a corner. If the cut looks really smooth, then maybe you can use a carbide blade in a circular saw. If you can see that the cut is showing the hard filler standing proud of the binder, then you would probably need the diamond blade.