PDA

View Full Version : need a tool fix ? then read on

Alistair Hosie
07-03-2012, 10:50 AM
What causes us to be addicted to buying-using-collecting tools? I and plenty are more possibly here addicted with this wonderful plague.Sometimes I crave a machine and though I really don't desperately need it get it anyway.
Am I a lost case?
Salivating like pavlovs dogs waiting to see what turns me on for my next fix.
Well slight exaggertaion but you all know what I mean.How do you survive and do you have the bug.?:D Alistair

dp
07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
What causes us to be addicted to buying-using-collecting tools?

I confess I linger long when I see Monarch 10 EEE lathes for sale.

LKeithR
07-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I confess I linger long when I see Monarch 10 EEE lathes for sale.

Dean, Smith & Grace does it for me.

I've got a "decent" 13 x 40 Chinese lathe but I'm "sort of" on the lookout for a better machine. Problem is that the one I have now works well enough that unless something really good comes along it wouldn't be worth the hassle to make the swap. Also, I don't want a project. Any replacement that comes along will have to be in good working condition; ready to plunk down, wire up and go to work.

In our neck of the woods--Lower Mainland of B.C.--such machines are few and far between. I peruse our local Craigslist on a regular basis--mainly looking for good deals on tools and tooling--and in the last year I haven't seen anything that would tempt me to make a change...

A.K. Boomer
07-03-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't have the machining bug anymore,,, I got bit - got most of the basics I need and now all I keep my eyes open for are endmills which I desperately need...

anything else would have to be a real good deal and fall in my lap as I don't hunt for anything...

bborr01
07-03-2012, 01:02 PM
My signature line says it all. Yes, I am a tooloholic.

Brian

lynnl
07-03-2012, 01:17 PM
I think it's just human nature. You find the same behavior in almost any interest group, e.g. fisherman, gourmet cooking, gardening, wine connoiseurs, reading, etc., etc.

But I've found my zeal for collecting/acquiring more and more to be declining the last few years since I realized that my biggest shortage is space.
I'll see something or a picture or have an idea, and my first, knee-jerk reaction is "I gotta get that!" Then I'll think, "hey, I've gotten along without it for 68 years, maybe I don't need it."

daryl bane
07-03-2012, 01:30 PM
My problem (not really a problem) but I work in a very well equipped maintenance shop where we doing everything. This translates to my home shop as, "I have got to get that too." But now, I'm like AK Boomer, I got it all, or most of it :) and now just look for cutting tools.

flylo
07-03-2012, 02:11 PM
I dive into a hobby with both feet & this is no different. All my hobbies have supported themselves by buying & selling except skydiving & scuba diving which were covered by the others. Never out of the reg family budget. So I never feel guilty about what I buy.

A.K. Boomer
07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Part of my problem is im too stingy - I cringe at the thought of taking a lifetime to build a bunch of nice stuff up just to let it go for cheap at some auction sale to a bunch of panty waste douche bags...

The thought of that bothers me so much that I will live a life of squalor just because one never knows when the "big one" is coming..

Ohhh I wish i could be there - greedy little eyes - standing at the garage door waiting for the V-tec del sol to be unveiled --- then the door lifts and there's not a dent-less quarter panel on the car and it looks like multiple gurls have been banged on the hood - hard, and pretty hefty ones at that - all four steel belts showing on the tires, brake pad replacement needed both front and rear and might as well get to both front blown outer CV boots while your at it ---- ooops too late - he ran them that way and took out the joints,

as half the crowd immediately leaves there are still those die hards -- you know the type ;) --- they somehow have the ability to see the potential in a burned out matchbook - one gets behind the drivers seat - wiggles the wheel back and forth and almost in a beautiful symphony of mechanical mayhem the loose steering wheel bearings grinding along with both lower control arm balljoints popping right in tune with the higher pitch of the tie rod ends about to give up the ghost,
again --- the other half droop their chins - nope - no free lunch here boys,

still - a few die hards left and the inevitable happens - one goes for a start ------- even through the thick clouds of noise dampening smoke it is confirmed --- the pistons are so unhappy where their at they are trying to swap bores with the others ---- rod bearings not only down to the copper - they need to at least re-instate the "leash law" cuz those dawgs are a roaming - it's not just a simple rod knock, it's a knock hammering - the kind you only get when the piston comes in contact with the cylinder head - the kind that makes the upper compression ring utterly useless because the top ring land is now an "interference fit"

Ahhh to have a camera then --- maybe?

then there beady greedy little eyes light back up and one says "Hey - he's got a mill in the basement --- lets go check that out"

Big mistake --- doesn't get any better as the mills table and a hammer is what was used to unlock the upper compression rings the first time it happened :D

Now nauseated part of the crowd is at a line to the bathroom,,, what the hells the hold-up?

nice --- he left us with a plugged toilet ---------- enjoy....

Alistair Hosie
07-03-2012, 03:06 PM
I have also to confess that as space is now at a premium I am slowing down quite a bit and have already given stuff to my sons.I still have an eye though for a pretty machine or two,and they get my bp a little ratty at times well love is love and having been married to Bronwen for over forty years my true love is her without a doubt. AAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhh.:DAlistair

KiddZimaHater
07-03-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm not a tool collecter per say.
I only buy tools that I need.
Currently I am in need of a small CNC Lathe and CNC Mill, but have nowhere to put them.:(

flylo
07-03-2012, 10:45 PM
I was lucky I built a 52x84 hanger on the farm with lumber I cut on a Mobile Dimension portable sawmill in the upper pennensula. I hired it framed & roofed with green steel, used 1x8 I cut for board & batten siding. Welded up a 40'x13' 4 panel steel bifold door that 12 years later rolls with 1 finger so I have full 40' access on 1 end & no post. I put steel 7' up on the door & 6' lexan . The door is on the west side & until sunset you normally don't need lights. I did the siding, doors, wiring, hired the concrete done almost 2 years ago for $1.60/SF. Long story short 1 have $16K in it. I super insulated he workshop 12x54 with 6" of Iso foam 7.2R per inch with 1" over all that so it will heat well . For heat I put in elect base board to keep it constant 40 deg f, wood heat & waste oil, & a LP wall heater plumbed so I can run it off my big tank or small tanks. I overbuilt it putting 48"oc trusses at 32" on center,overwired it always usung at least 1 size bigger than recommended, & probably overinsulated it too. I used 14 metal halide 400 watt lights wired 2 per switch. Still have 8 more to hang in the 12x24 welding & the 12x 48 overflow room. I'm ready to set the machines in place as soon as this heatwave cools down. Then I'll keep the best,sell the rest & get my hanger back. I also have a 12x 24 additional welding,grindind room with a fan system & full open sliding doors on the 24'wall. Also a 12x48 room if needed for expansion, leaving my hanger 40x72-13'high & I can access everthing with the forklift. I can't wait to get done but I have to pay for help I used to do without thinking. Yes I'm cheap but I don't cut corners. It will be nice to have a complete machine shop with 3 phase & nice equipment along with my hanger again. The only thing better would be attached to the house but that's planed for the house/hanger on the airport. Smaller house bigger hanger. In case I get where I can no longer walk I'm keeing a set of small equipment, the Wabeco 6000 layje, a new prazi mill lathe combo a small bandsaw, etc,etc.Sorry for the ramble.:(