PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Info???

Pat Miles
03-03-2004, 03:07 AM
I am in the process of shopping for a metal bandsaw preferably a verticle unit due to space restrictions. I need some advice on various brands. Which ones to look for and which ones to avoid. Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Stepside
03-03-2004, 05:12 PM
If I were to have but one bandsaw it would be a "Roll-In". Either the real one or one of the knock-off/rebranded ones. I have one at home and two at work. Sometimes I use it as a cutoff saw and let the head roll-in and sometimes I lock the head and use it like a conventional vertical bandsaw. Mine has a series of 3/8-16 tapped holes in the top that I use to bolt fixtures to or use to bolt some 3/8-16 mill hold-downs and step blocks.
It has enough speed the high range to work as an adequate wood saw as well. I used it to cut some curved 4x6 beams and it worked fine.
At $3200.00 to $3500.00 new it isn't cheap until you compare it with a Marvel or equivalent.

Cecil Walker
03-03-2004, 06:27 PM
I agree with Stepside, I have a Roll-In and have been very happy with it. I got a sales flier from J & L (I think) that had a import clone (Jet) that looked just like the Roll-In. Might be worth your time to check it out, If I remember correctly the advertised price was app. $1500

wierdscience
03-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Yes on the roll in,very versitile,but expensive.