PDA

View Full Version : Depleted Uranium

jfsmith
03-04-2003, 12:32 AM
I was thinking of milling some "AP" type of Sabo bullets for T/C Blackhawk black powder rifle. Can I lathe down those surplus Browning 50 cal bullet that they sell at the gun shows? Or can I buy depleted uranium as a metal product.

My thinking is to try this on elk next fall. I need the added penetration for a good clean kill. Don't want the animal to suffer, or bleed to death running.

I like the rifle, I have used modern rifles, but I want to be more sporting.
Plus I give the meat away to the homeless shelters and such places.

Jerry

Forrest Addy
03-04-2003, 12:54 AM
Think! Uranum is really nasty.

As I understand it, depleted uranium, is one of the most poisonous metals there is. Worse than arsenic. Only the military can get away with scattering uranium dust all over the country side.

Check out the website.

http://www.antenna.nl/wise/uranium/

Try tungsten. Almost as dense and not nearly as toxic. You can buy any amount of tungsten TIG electrode at a welding supply shop. SpG W = 17.9; U = 18.7

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 03-04-2003).]

Uncle Dunc
03-04-2003, 01:48 AM
If depleted uranium is not commercially available, the point is probably moot, but here is a much less alarmist discussion of uranium toxicity. It concludes that chemically, uranium is less toxic than lead, and that since the half life of U-238 is 4.5 billion years, its radiological effects are also not very dramatic.

http://www.janes.com/defence/news/jdw/dutoxic010112_1_n.shtml

Forrest Addy
03-04-2003, 02:25 AM
I stand corrected as to toxicity but tungsten is still far more available.

Ragarsed Raglan
03-04-2003, 08:33 AM
F1 cars were using D.U as ballast weights, the teams were purchasing the stuff from the old Soviet block at about $5K a Kg. As an F1 car has a minimum weight limit of 600Kg they were having to put about 30Kg into the cars to bring them up to minimum weight limit. Scary.....

A few years back one of the balast weights broke off one of the MacClaren Mercedes cars in practice for the Canada GP. It went clean through the Carbon fibre floor, through the engine, through the radiator, and out through the carbonfibre bodywork!!! AP or what?!!!

RR

Paul Gauthier
03-04-2003, 08:40 AM
JFSmith.

The bullets you are thinking of making will lack one very important aspect of the hunting bullet. Expansion. Your bullets will not expand and will most likely pass through the animal creating a one caliber wound channel and very little if anything of shock damage. These wounds close up quickly and eliminate a blood trail to follow. A good hunting bullet will expand on impact to at least twice caliber dia. and depending on the bullet sometimes more and once expanded it will also retain most of its original weight. This expansion is vital for quick kills. Expansion causes deep wide wound channels and rapid blood loss nessassary to drop an animal quickly and cleanly.

My first reccomendation would be to use full caliber minnie balls. You did not mention the caliber of your rifle and I am assuming 50 Cal. being that it is the most popular.

Two other methods I could reccomend, although not as strongly at the above, would be to buy the proper saboted bullets from Speer, Hornady or other major bullet maker. Or buy or borrow a bullet mold of sufficient caliber and weight and cast your own lead bullets and perhaps make the sabots. Usually they are of two piece design.

------------------
Paul G.

ibewgypsie
03-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Personally I prefer exploding munitions while hunting. You can purchase a LAW rocket tube at the next gun show, small solid fuel rocket motors are cheap at the hobby supplies.
A rocket body can be made out of thin wall tubing, I prefer conduit emt.

The explosive warhead is your problem thou since our pesky goverment has gotten involved in the HOME explosives market. (aka Timothy Mcveigh) So I guess you will have to distill your own acid from used car batteries and use a nitric solution to make your own Nitro glycerin. (the sulfuric just removes the water) One point to watch, if it starts fuming little orange gushers of smoke, dump it in water or run like hell. Really good advice since you have less than two seconds. Wash the result in soda or the shelf life will be minimal.

Ohh yeah, don't drop this munition while hunting and be sure to take pictures of what ever you unload on so we can have proof that it actually worked. At least you won't have to haul much meat out of the woods. One hoof and
some hair? And also make sure you put at least one form of id on each of your boots. (gee look at that one bloody boot up in that tree)

Actually President Ronald REagan was quite proud the exploding 22 ammo didn't work on him. It must have been all them jelly beans that cushioned the bullet. Ha ha. I always admired Ronnie (and Bonzo)

(don't you think Lead Minnie balls will be safer for the hunter?) By the way, all this is in jest and any implimentation is strongly discouraged, YOu ever hear of the Darwin awards?

jfsmith
03-04-2003, 01:13 PM
Yes I have heard of the Darwin Awards, for making Nitro G, you may have put yourself on that list to watch.

I have found some Barnes jacket bullets for the 45-70 cartridge and larger weapons in my stash of bullets. I like a clean shot and generally to the head when I am hunting. The game dies instantly and the meat is not damaged by the wound channel.

Thanks for advise.

Jerry

FLPR@juno.com
03-04-2003, 01:27 PM
This is not the first time depleted Uranium has been discussed on this board. I really wish people would check out the facts before they make statements. I have been in a plant where they hot forged and machined pieces of U238 up to several thousand pounds in size. There were no special precautions taken other than being sure that the chips and tool were kept flooded with coolant. I saw one instance where a large vertical turning machine was being used to flatten a large slab and the coolant hose fell off the tool holder. The chips almost immediately started to burn. The machinist took his cigarette out of his mouth, leaned over the railng, picked up the hose, doused the chips and hung the hose back on the tool holder. He then leaned back and continued his smoke. No, this was not in some third world country, but righ here in th U.S.A. This plant employed hundreds of workers and did for more than 40 years.

Forrest Addy
03-04-2003, 01:28 PM
I see people in gun shops and sporting goods stores and wonder why they bother. I don't like to shoot game and bowhunting requires too much practice, besides they aren't needed. Man has gifts handed down from his cave dwelling forebears that when developed make it possible to hunt without implements.

The easiest approach for big game is to sneak up on the quarry and bulldog it. Deer and elk and antelope are pretty jumpy. About half the time I blow the stalk and have to chase them on foot.

I always preferred the thrill of the chase. Nothing like a thrilling foot race across rough country to catch an elk on a cold morning. If I can't catch them with my first sprint I run my quarry into exhaustion. I dispatch them either by breaking their necks with the violence of my tackle or I might have to use knife on a big strong animal. I think the meat from a chased kill is better anyway.

Of course it's hard to run back to camp while packing a 700 elk carcass but it does give you a fine appitite for breakfast.

Ducks abd geese pose their problems for me. They are vigilent so I have to stalk them from under water holding my breath for ten to fifteen minutes. I'm not that fond of waterfowl aanyway and hours in cold water make my joints ache.

Pheasants are much easier. Just slip up behind one and hood it with a sock. Pheasants are docile when they can't see. If you're clever you can get five at once in a work glove but you have to cut off the wrist band.

Wrestling bear, especally large bear can be very difficult becaue of the claws and teeth. I found that if you bring along a pair of boxing gloves and a roll of duct tape the job of wrestling a bear into exhaustion is a lot easier. Early in the wrestle you slip the boxing gloves on the bears paws and tape his jaws shut. After that it's all muscle and determination.

On my first couple of hunts I got scratched up be caause I tried to use the lases to hols the boxing gloves on the bear. Then I hit on using the duct tape. It pays to practice first on a brahma bull getting all the moves just right; immobilizing the animal with one hand and ripping tape off the roll with the other. Takes coordination.

Oh. Don't forget to take along a leash so you can lead your captured bear back to camp.

Fishing is easy. I'm opera trained. I can sing my high "G" with my face in the water and in a minutes the surface is paved with stunned fish. I can make my selection like picking cucumbers. In a few minutes the other fish recover and swim away. I have to be careful. If I over do it I rupture the air bladders of larger fish and they don't rise.

Fish are not tone deaf. If any of you want to try this be sure the note you sing is a "G" above middle "C".

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 03-04-2003).]

JCHannum
03-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Forest; I am in agreement with you in many respects. If you choose to use primitive weapons to experience hunting as your forebearers knew it, get serious about it.
For myself, I prefer to bait the prey, and then run just ahead of it with a few sections of used well. Just drop them in their path, and they fall into the hole. They can then be dispatched at will.
Chasing an animal raises it's adrenaline, which toughens the meat. If they are chasing you this does not occur.

ibewgypsie
03-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Forrest, I have come to the conclusion you are my long lost brother, what does your daddy look like? (joking) I love to stalk the woods with just my knife. I am the smelliest and meanest animal there and everything runs. (I smell like dial soap)
Nice to know about the depleted uranium thou. I have NO PLANS to include it in my next project.

Spin Doctor
03-04-2003, 04:47 PM
If I didn't know any better I'd start thinking Patrick McManus is lurking around here somewhere. IMHO the greatest american humorist of the late 20th century.

JCHannum
03-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Was talking about this to the guys down at the hotel this afternoon. Said they hunted pheasant that way too, but only used socks. Seems the only pheasants around here are ringnecks. Gloves only work with pencil neck pheasants.

docsteve66
03-04-2003, 06:44 PM
True hunting story: At Alamosa colorado the road runs for miles no humps, just an occasional culvert under the road. Had a dog, I would put head and shoulders into culvert, call pup. Most every culvert had a rabbit or two. catch em alive, select fat ones and bring them home. Sometimmes ten fifteen rabbits, all unbruised.
Neighbor had rabbit to eat most every day. Told him I chased the rabbits felt their ribs on the run aand took the fat, young ones. Brought him a skinny tough jack to prove i was a fast runner.

He repeatedthe story I told him to high school coach- Coach called me at school. I was not elgilbe for sports cause I had not been in the district long enough. Coach said I sure did not look very fast- more the miler type. Left town with people believing i was a real rabbit chaser.

On the high power non expanding bullets, when hunting man or animal, remember that the velocity left over when the bullet exits does no one any good. And a lot of the effect of a bullet is hydraulic ram effect on the blood vessels and sometime the brain. the Military in not in the business of killing- a wounded man takes resources I guess.

jfsmith
03-04-2003, 06:50 PM
I eat what I hunt, except ground hogs and waht I don't eat, I give to the needy.

I am not expierencing anything about what my fore fathers did, I enjoy using primitive weapons to great degree.

If you want to try some, spear hunting, you will see how brave you are when you are up close and personal.

Al Messer
03-04-2003, 07:10 PM
I had a friend that used to finance his varmint hunting excursions by selling his bag of woodchucks to persons of Afro-American descent. He charged $1.00 each and they were tickled to get them.

wierdscience
03-04-2003, 08:22 PM
I prefer to shoot paper as it is far easier to hunt at the supermarket http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif I guess I just don't get it you know getting up before dawn, going out in the freezing cold and stomping around in the woods(full of chiggers and poison ivy),waiting for hours for a shot, usually wounding rather than killing(requires chasing down and then killing)having to dress and then hual out the deer, drive home clean and freeze and then one day cook ,oh I forgot buying a hunting license ,ammo,gas,and extras.I figured out once that for what it cost per pound I could eat at the best steak house every night of the week for the entire hunting season and still have change left over http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Maybe my one tool after the world comes to an end would be a gun because Then I would have to hunt!Okay now what were we talking about? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Chris Fazio
03-05-2003, 12:25 PM
Wierdscience

The difference between the grocery store meat and for instance a deer is, the deer is 100% all natural fed by God. The stuff in the store has been fed enough chemicals that it should have an MSDS sheet with it. Also real hunters kill their prey with one clean shot, whereas slob hunters need a machinegun with at least a 1000 rds. of ammo. I can't think of any place I would rather be than in woods enjoying the great outdoors.

Chris

Herb W
03-05-2003, 01:01 PM
Wow...what a thread!

Dunno if depleted u is safe or not - haven't looked at the links yet.

I have an appreciation for and interest in guns, though I've never done any hunting.

Gotta say that when I read Forrest's post, it took me by surprise...and I laughed so hard I nearly fell off my chair. It also brought to mind an interesting place which we visited a few years ago. http://www.head-smashed-in.com/
Forrest, if you ever get tired of bulldoggin some of those larger animules you might want to try the technique shown in the linked site - tried & true...very efficient...

jfsmith
03-05-2003, 03:05 PM
In Ohio, those pretty deer are really just an over popluated pest. One local park had 10 times more deer than the park could handle and it was rather easy to get your first kill with you Toyota on the road.
When thepark service announced a controled kill of these deer, people went crazy, wanted to move them or sterilize them. The ones that got moved die because of the moving method. They never did an sterlizing as far as I know, but teh next year, they had several park rangers from other areas, come in and quietly reduce the population.
In Canada, herds of deer ruin famers fields. The main preditor to deer after automobiles is mankind.

Al Messer
03-05-2003, 03:18 PM
When you come right down to it, Man is the best predator that God ever made.

wierdscience
03-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Chris,unfortunately real hunters are 1 in a 1,000.Also as far as God feeding deer at certain times of the year you also get all of God's parasites hook worm, tape worm you get the picture.And anyway unless you live in one of those places where deer are college educated enough to tell the diffrence between a "wildlife managment" area and a "regular old place"you get all those chemicals anyway because your local state "conservation officers" use birth control,horomones,and steroids as "management tools".As for real hunters I STILL HUNT takes lots of skill to sit absolutey still and wait for something I like to walk by.Orange vest and a gun,no deer piss,no camo,no tree stand.And besides modern man should let the women do the hunting and stay at home and play with our machines! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

dvideo
03-05-2003, 10:50 PM
I have found a far superior method to take out deer than depleted uranium. Small brightly colored sports cars. Paint your Porsche or BMW a bright color, say purple or depleted uranium yellow, and then night cruise the back roads looking for action. Make sure you have luggage rack with a fine seletion of tie down straps.. That way, when you have those Kodak moments, if you fail to bag the beast - you can strap on all those loose expensive foreign car parts laying on road. Vetrean hunters know to first strap on a spare tire and bottle jack, cause you never know which side of the road the critter will leap from. I am not saying that deer congregate on the side of the road waiting to practice their equivalent of suicide bombing, but it's pretty boring being a deer and having no classical literature other than Bambi.

More sporting, too. (sports car....) In my experince, it is: Deer 2 - Small Sports Car 0.

I know others who believe in the big iron. A 1974 Ford station wagon is king of the hill. Experiened travelers can feed a family of four for a month on one tank of gas.

Takes the sport out of it though, don't it?

-- jerry

Rustybolt
03-05-2003, 11:27 PM
They use DU for balast on large jets. When the plane is balanced at the factory for CG they will fine tune by putting DU in either the nose or tail.
Back in the 70s I heard that DU encapsulated in ceramic was used as weights on some fork lifts.
I heard DU was dense but very hard, not a good candidate for a bullet unless its for armor piercing. Maybe instead of lead you should try gold http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

Thrud
03-06-2003, 01:17 AM
DP does not peirce armor in the fashion that most think it does. It is exokinetic. It gives all of its kinetic energy on impact as thermal energy - burning or spalling its way through the metal. Being on the receiving end of a 10,000* molten uranium fire inside a tank turret has got to be a bad hair day for anyone.

If you still want to pursue this, tungsten carbide rod can be used but I would advise you to get a robust arm like an AR-50 bolt action and carefully work the loads up as the pressures will be excessive for black powder. Your bullet will need a hardened steel disc in the bullet base to take the shock loads of accellerating the TC sabot down the .50BMG.

This is very dangerous. I have dreamed of a TC grammaphone needle I could shoot 5 miles with great accuracy. If I was still 18 and stupid I would try it - but I am neither.

I stalk the might black dot since I can no longer insure 1 shot, 1 kill in my dainty condition.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 03-06-2003).]

jfsmith
03-06-2003, 01:21 AM
I remember when some range officer told me that the M2HB could see 3,000 metres dead flat. He was right, but I still can't see that far, so it doesn't matter.

My idea is for a skull shattering hard bullet for my T/C rifle, I use the pyrodex pellets and they seem to work well with many projectials.

ibewgypsie
03-06-2003, 05:06 AM
Ok.. truth time, stranger than fiction. I am a old biker from the Chattanooga Tn area. In the 70's a couple of my friends hit a deer. It broke the headlights out of the LTD they were driving. They loaded it up, going down the road it started kicking, Now being both liquored up beyond the limit they got a real bright ideal. One would open the trunk and the other would shoot the deer with a 44 pistol they had for protection. Sure enough one opened the trunk, the other fired , just as the deer jumped over the rear fender and escaped into the woods. They shot a whole into the gas tank on the car and all the gas ran out on the road. I know this because I rescued them. Score..DEER 1, LTD sorely damaged and two major egos destroyed that night. Imagine if they had depleted uranium for projectiles? instant car-fire?

dvideo
03-06-2003, 07:29 AM
That's why you have the luggage rack and a fine selection of tie downs. I have heard of a simliar story where they made the mistake of putting the deer in the back of the station wagon. Since the deer was only stunned - it provoked a mad scramble to stop and bail out the windows when after the enraged deer decided to ride in the front seat. It may be that you have to have DP to really do the suckers in. I doubt a DP bumper would do it either...

-- jr

Tibertus
03-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Yep, yep now you've done it. You've got me started.... My Grandfather now dead 20 years told of huntin' polar bear when he was a kid (how polar bears got into Michigan I don't know) but.. he would dig a large pit, fill it full of wood and burn the wood down to ash. He would then spread salmon around the hole. When the polar bears would show up for sushi he'd kick them in the ash hole.

PEACE!!!

Chris Fazio
03-06-2003, 12:52 PM
Wierdscience

You're right about the number of real hunters, and every year there are less and less. The deer here in Pa. are still fairly "clean", way better than store bought meat. I'm not a sitter and would much rather be walking while hunting. My favorite game is the ruffed grouse which requires the hunter to walk many miles in search of his prey and you better be a good shot with the old shotgun or your going home empty handed. But remember, it's called hunting, not getting.

Chris

Thrud, it's good to see you're back and hope you're feeling better.

Mcostello
03-06-2003, 10:54 PM
Know 2-yes-2 people dumb enough to wrassle an injured deer to ground and kill with knife. One guy came in hobbling to work with many moans, told us he fell on deer with knife extended, about time point touched deer it came alive and kicked him almost to peices. Other one boss, reached down to slit throat and der came alive, but he had hold of antler, wrassled 45 mins. appx. untill deer next to log and pinned, then was able to stab. ME i would simply shoot again and be done.

Thrud
03-06-2003, 11:50 PM
Jerry
I have a good friend that has a breech loading .50 BP and shoots sabots. every year he has had a tag he has bagged a moose first shot. I can atest to this because the moose jerky was delish.

Anyone that can't kill a moose, deer, or elk with one shot should not be out there. Too many people can't shoot worth a damn - it is really sad. A guide I know gets some truly pathetic hunters - some of them can't hit a stump from fifty feet standing. Some of them manage to bag holsteins - and can't tell the difference between a cow and a moose. Most of them should just use Kenworths to kill moose - safer for the rest of us.

ibewgypsie
03-07-2003, 04:51 AM
Thrud.. Not only can I kill my supper with one shot, I used to catch it without any ammo.. Down here in the south, we get a green stick with a small fork on it, put it up into a hollow tree or stump hole and twist it. It winds up into squirrel fur (or skunk) and when you have it properly attached to the end of the stick you pull it out of the hole. Be forewarned it is a unhappy animal thou. I growed up hungry and appreciate eating. Anything can be tasty if prepared properly. We used to sift the bugs out of the flour to make dumplings with the lil bits of meat provided to us by nature. NOBODY nowadays would eat anything they had to sift critters out of. Not knowingly anyways. It is a honor to invite someone to eat at my table. I remember how hunger felt.
Hunger makes good aim and careful preparation is what I meant to say. Ohh.. and glad to see you back online.

docsteve66
03-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Gypssie: we usedto call thatsplit stick a "rabbit puller" aaand they did work!!!

When we (late 1930's) were picking cotton and following wheat harvest, I had (age 9) a singleshot 22. Box of Long rifles and when we camped for the night, would wallk stream beds and hills (always tried to stop where there was water flowing and a shade tree androcks to build a campfire) and it was expectedthat I would return with some sort of meat for supper aand breakfast. Spent a solid year with no roof, excepting where we worked (and some times not even then).
Speaking of gaame in the vehicle- I caught an armidillo once. they are amazingly strong, have no teeth. Got him into therear end (back seat- cause 1928 hudson super six had a trunk box). Seats ssit up high with space beneath. they cna jump high with no forward motion and taste real good. That thing got underthe seats and wedged himsellf in. Mom . dad and sister were of the considered , and expressed opinion that only a idiot (there was not much politicaly correct expresion in my family that day) would do such a thing.
I am no expert on armidillos but from personal observation I would warn any one contemplating repeating my caapture and transporting method, that they excrete voluminoulsy when excited ( I dont think they ever become angry) or wedged under the seat of a car. The tail is not a good pry bar cause they swell up but you can out wait one and if the doors are open they will exit under their own power. It is a joy to see a dignified unexcited armadillo return to the wild. Best shoot them before putting them in car. Takes a very accurate shot to hit the brain too- pea sized thing.

Steve

Belstain
03-07-2003, 04:25 PM
I worked for a guy once that caught a deer. he was driving home from the cattle auction and a deer walked out in front of the truck. He stopped right in front of it. When the deer walked past the door he jumped out onto it's back and wrestled it into the trailer (just got rid of the cows so it was empty) That deer kicked the crap outa him. He let it go a couple of days later because it wouldn't eat. crazy fool thought it would make a cool pet.

SJorgensen
03-08-2003, 02:25 AM
Belstain,
What a guy! Hell if I have enough beer in me that sounds like something I would do! I grew up in the city, but I did have a chance to live in the country for a few years and I learned about breaking horses and lots of things that I am very glad I had the experience of. My father tells the story of a resident of Manti, Utah that tamed a young fawn. It became a tame animal that was known by all the residents, and was a common site around that small town. Long story short, it became a buck and eventually became a problem. As I remember the story, it had to be put down. I wonder; can you ride a buck and steer with the antlers?
Spence

ibewgypsie
03-08-2003, 02:49 AM
DOc.. is that possum on the half shell? ha ha. I know a cajun woman that makes purses out of them armadillos, the tail is the handle and it clasps shut where the belly used to be. I think she eats them. ONLY TIME I see them is squashed on the road. They ain't made it up here in georgia yet.
Lemme tell you about the possum brake on my motorcycle, the damn thing jumped right into the disc brake and brought it to a immediate halt. Meat was on the back side and the skin was on the front side, meat-brake? No, I didn't eat it. Them are nasty critters who get up in dead cows and such.

Thrud
03-08-2003, 02:54 AM
ibewgypsie:
Skunk? Yum! Has to be better than my sister's meatloaf.

I don't even bother picking the bugs out of the gravey anymore. Took a friend to my relatives for christmas once - the gravey had weavels in it (from the flour). Ate it anyway. On the drive back she asked me if we could get some of that "pepper" that my mother had in the turkey gravey. I said "sure babe, anything for you..." http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif

docsteve66
03-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Thrud- that stuff in flour and the meatloaf makes me wonder if you sis was trainde by my aunt- she was a good woman and mother but I stopped eating her food when I was about 12. My parents ate happily, but I had been in the flour bin- and it was roach manure not weevils in there. Loved her till she died but not her cooking!

Possum? Catch one, pen it, feed it atleast two weeks on corn and it good eating with sweet potatos. Have shot ,dressed and ate from the tree, but I always remembered how they live. Usedto have bunch here-carriedthem to work and gavethem away to people who knew how to cook them- IE: afro-aamericans. They would bring a possum sandwich back, Had woman who worked in tool room who brought me chitterlings. Before you laugh at chitlin's- our best sausage is "cased" not in plastic but good old chitterling- now days its "natural casing" and a gourmet item- pore folks cant afford ****erlings no more http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif
Steve

walkenman
03-08-2003, 12:15 PM
Just use a 300 grain copper Barnes X bullet and the maximum powder charge Thompson Center allows for your gun. You will be able to take any whitetail deer in North American and not endanger your health or the environment with depleted uranium.

Cass
03-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Depleted uranium is available for purchase. It is about the same machinability as 316 stainless steel. Uranium corrodes very quickly. It looks like stainless steel just after machining but in a few hours it will be straw colored and in a couple days blue in a few more days dark blue then black and finally it will be covered with flaky black uranium oxide. Because it oxidizes so quickly you need to paint it or plate it after machining to protect it from air. The heat of machining uranium will cause the chips to catch on fire and burn with a lot of heat. Flood cooling is absolutely required. A common coolant used to be perchloroethylene. It is a non flammable solvent used now by dry cleaners. A flood of that solvent will stink up the average shop that is not equipped with good ventilation. The bullet would have to have pretty good velocity to expand since it has about the same strength as 316 SS. It work hardens like SS. You would want to use a sabot to protect the barrel of your rifle I imagine. A couple feet of depleted uranium about 1-1/2" in diameter going around 7000 ft/sec. does a good job of killing a tank as it goes through a few feet of hard steel real fast and gives the occupants a dose of flaming plasma. If there were a deer in the tank it would probably be ready-made cooked chili just like the tank crew. I don't think it would be a very good round for a muzzle loader.

steve schaeffer
03-08-2003, 06:41 PM
just buy some store bullets. hornady, speer , whatever. why reinvent the wheel? depleted uranium? nitro tipped acid rounds? what kind of hunting is that? why dont you just go around the woods putting little containers of D-con out, so the happy little woodland creatures have something to munch on? ive killed a deer in with a head shot using a .22. i can not possibly believe that a .50cal t/c is giving you problems. you just need to get a little closer, maybe not have so much coffee, and watch the deer hunter for a refresher course. (one shot one kill! one shot one kill!, rober deniro)
or you could just forgo the gun, run up to the deer and give him the gun, slap him in the face and yell mao!
steve

wierdscience
03-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Docsteve,once had a cow come up missing we looked all over God's green earth never did find her so we gave up,then about two weeks later I was all the way on the back end of the place in the woods and I came up on her carcase when I walked up on her I noticed it was moving and I took a couple of steps closer and low and behold a possum came out of one end and two came out the other,after that opossum became no possum for me! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

ibewgypsie
03-08-2003, 10:25 PM
All this talk about possum eating reminds me of a native alaskan recipe I heard of. You take a young puppy, give him all the rice he can eat with a lil grease on it for 3 days, no water, after the 3rd day You give it all the water he can drink, when clean rice comes out both ends it is stuffed and ready to bake. It takes a vegatarian convert 7 years to get all the bacteria out of this intestines from eating meat. You reckon a possum will be clean in a week? You ever raise chickens? maybe them possums are not as nasty as them.

alcova
03-09-2003, 01:31 AM
Jerry, I would rethink that DU or even the modified 50cal AP....many places won't let you use them for hunting because they won't explode, and back about 1988 or so the government said civilians could no longer make AP's for their use. You can still find Ap's but they still would not be legal hunting bullets in places

Walt

jfsmith
03-09-2003, 02:22 PM
What I have decided to do is basically use Barnes bullets for the comercially made ones. and cast some pewter bullets for my cast bullets. Then see what they do with a 2 liter pop bottle frozen bottle at 35 metres of so.

Jerry

NAIT
03-02-2004, 02:05 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cass:
Depleted uranium is available for purchase. It is about the same machinability as 316 stainless steel...</font>

Still available for ballast purposes ?

canonicalman
03-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Why do you need depleted Uranium?

The purpose of the military using depleted Uranium is to benifit from the high density of the metal. This high density improves the armor piercing properties of the projectile. Density is important to such a projectile because almost all structural integrity is lost on impact.

Are you going to shoot holes in armored vehicles?

Also, to make the most use of the properties of depleted Uranium extreemly high muzzle velocities need to be achieved.

Is your black powder rifle going to do that?

jfsmith
03-02-2004, 04:13 PM
As that this thread is rather old, I have already tried this idea and it does work, but lead is better for the purpose that I wanted. I tried solids and some commerical bullets, but cast lead works the best.

This thread is a year old, before somebody brought it back to life, it had a last entry date of March of last year before this currrent interest.

lojo
03-03-2004, 03:55 AM
Guys, in Australia we don't do alot of hunting.
The closest thing to hunting here is killing flies.
I, like some of the guys in this post,prefer the tradional ways of killing. In my case that's the fly swatter. Some guys use fly spray, but not me, where's their sense of going after your prey?
Granted you do miss sometimes, but when you smack them hard, you have a sense of man against beast(sort of).
I use a number 9 swatter as i find it the best with its extra long handle and wider pad. Can't use a shotgun, as it would blow holes in the wall and then I would be the hunted! Cheers

jfsmith
03-03-2004, 10:25 PM
One of my telecom vendors in Pennsylvania used to give away a fly shooter. It was a dart gun with a round fly swatter on the end of the dart. They had fly facts printed on the package. Just some entertaining things that these people thought up.