PDA

View Full Version : Just a test

wierdscience
03-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Just a test
http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0903/wierdscience/DSCF0004.jpg

J Thornton
03-03-2004, 06:48 AM
It worked for me. What's that sitting outside?

------------------
Jesse

[This message has been edited by J Thornton (edited 03-03-2004).]

wierdscience
03-03-2004, 10:40 AM
Just a big ole nasty punch press,better known as a paperwieght for concrete http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 03-03-2004).]

Carl
03-03-2004, 02:46 PM
You need a flash on that camera so I can see that lathe better.

Jerry B
03-03-2004, 03:25 PM
A flash would help, but you need to lengthen the shutter opening. In other words, leave the shutter open longer in order to capture the part of the photo that is in the dark. The light background will be burned out to almost a comnplete white, but the foreground object will be better exposed.

That is one of the hardest things that a begining photog has to deal with is back-lit objects. You need to learn to meter off the dark area, then use manual control and set the readings to what the meter says.

The meter will go beserk when you back up and fill the frame with the light, but the lathe will be properly exposed and that is all that matters.

Been there, done that, got the negs to prove it.

Evan
03-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Or you can fix it in the computer...

http://vts.bc.ca/img/fix1.jpg

Jerry B
03-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Yes, much better, however....
You still have no detail in the darker areas (shadows). Although the details are supposed to be in the picture even when unde exposed, you can only retrieve some of the info hidden there. It is best to overexpose for the light areas and therefore render the darker areas in better detail.
imho

Evan
03-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Jerry,

Yes, for best results correctly exposing the desired area works best. However, I could have obtained much better results on this image if I was using the original instead of a reduced size highly compressed jpg. You will note that I was able to bring out shadow detai quite well (pulleys on far wall) without totally blowing out the light areas.

Carl
03-03-2004, 05:56 PM
EVAN, thanks for reminding me that I have a program to do that...Forgot http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

wierdscience
03-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Carl That old lathe is a New Haven,mfg date on the machine is 1853,probibly so since there is ornamentation on the bed and several other places,also the vee ways you see in the picture were added on,they have counter sunk philister head screws every 10 inches.The lathe when we got it about 25 years ago had a four speed three phase motor with an old trolley car controller for speed selection,the flat belt cone had a silent chain gear shrunk on the largest step.When the motor burnt we put a modern 5hp dc shunt motor and control along with a air clutch/brake and traveling lever.About a year after we added the new motor we fell into a bigger modern gearhead and it has sat more or less idle since.I spent many hour in front of that machine,the most ironic job I ever drew on that machine was removing .011"from the seal face on a space shuttle main engine turbo pump casing!Imagine that,a 100+ year old lathe working on a space age chunk of iron!The way I got in on that one is we had the only lathe in the area that would turn less than 3 rpm!

Evan,what software is that?

Yes I did use a flash,but boy is it dark back in that shop!

Carl
03-04-2004, 03:19 AM
wierdscience, thanks for the story about the old lathe, facsinating stuff.

[This message has been edited by Carl (edited 03-04-2004).]

Evan
03-04-2004, 03:31 AM
Weird,

I use Paint Shop Pro for most photo manipulation. The new version 8 is really excellent, just as good as Photo Shop but way less money.

Disclosure: I am a beta tester (unpaid, at least in money, get some free software) for JASC Corp. makers of PSP8.

Jerry B
03-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Hey guys, ain't great what computers can do?

The only reason I posted about proper exposure was just out of habit. i try and critque all pictures I look at wheather they are mine or someone elses. Comes from being an amature photographer.

I have been told that when it comes to machining, I am an excellent photog! Don't really know how to take that...