PDA

View Full Version : Another lubricant question ?

vinito
03-03-2004, 01:15 AM
I have a Cincinnatti Bickford drill press and Leblond lathe. Both of them need the gearbox oil replaced.
I searched this forum and read posts concerning lubricants, and learned a lot. I will be getting some Mobil DTE R&O circulating oil, but my question is: which viscosity is recommended?
The drill press tranny has spur gears and an oil pump and its max RPM is 2500.
The lathe has helical and spur gears and slings the oil (no pump) and max RPM is 1200.
The lathe manual (ca. 1951) specifies "500 sec. at 100 degrees F which compares to SAE-30". I have no manual on the drill press.
I imagine that both machines will work fine with the same viscosity. Am I wrong? and either way, should I use DTE heavy/medium or DTE light, or does it matter? (these are the two I am considering based on the forum discussions)
Thanks for any input.
Vinito

wierdscience
03-03-2004, 02:22 AM
See this-
http://pump.net/liquiddata/kinsayunivisc.htm

I think it puts you lathe oil around 100v,but this could be way lube and not gear oil thou.

Thrud
03-03-2004, 04:21 AM
ISO68 is about a 20w and pretty much standard fair. An ISO100 is 30W but is rarely used.

gvasale
03-03-2004, 08:23 PM
I have been using 30wt non detergent motor oil in the headstock and apron of my Leblond. You can find some brands that claim to have no additives. Additives are what make the differences, along with viscosity. Last year at Eastec, I asked someone at the Shell booth about oils, and one thing he said was " it All comes from a hole in the ground."

Thrud
03-04-2004, 09:24 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gvasale:
I asked someone at the Shell booth about oils, and one thing he said was " it All comes from a hole in the ground."</font>

That's reason enough for me to never buy shell's crap.

Motor oil should never be used in your machine tools - WRONG additives. Use an R&O Gear & bearing oil, Anti-wear Hydraulic oil, or a Tractor Hydraulic oil. (preferably in THAT order)