PDA

View Full Version : OT- remote internet access

alanganes
07-15-2012, 10:39 AM
The question of how to get internet access out to shop buildings that are unattached from ones house comes up here from time to time, with various solutions offered. I used a system recently that has worked out well and thought I'd toss it here for anyone that runs into the same issue.

I was recently asked to help get an internet connection out to a building located about 600 yards from the place that had a cable broadband connection. Too far for an Ethernet wire and in any case trenching a cable out there was not an option. I ended up getting one of these along with a couple of directional antennas:

http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/wifi-antennas/wifi-bridge-kit.aspx#.UALE1aZ0Uuc

While this is not exactly a "cheap" solution, it was pretty much plug-and-play and has worked great. The one issue that seems to come up with these (from reading various on-line reviews) is that while they are supposed to be weather-tight for outdoor mounting, they seem to get water in them and fail. I mounted them indoors, eliminating that issue. For the distance involved, there is more than enough signal and they have worked great.

I know there are other less expensive ways to accomplish this using modified routers and such, but as I said, this was plug and play and required very little computer/networking savvy to implement.

Just tossing this out as an FYI for anyone who may be interested. Getting web access to remote building seems to be a bit of a recurring question here.

All standard disclaimers: No interest in the company, nothing in it for me, just a customer/user, etc...

dp
07-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Other than bridged wireless is broadcast "in the open" regarding encryption these are a good way to couple remote buildings. The range possible is quite surprising. If the roof top electronics are well sealed against the environment and raccoons don't redirect your antennas you will probably never have to visit those parts again.

lakeside53
07-15-2012, 01:18 PM
That looks simialr to what I have - made by Ubiquiti Networks - "Nanobridge-M" san antennae. Mine was about $170 for both ends including 12 inch dishes and mounts.

http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#nanobridgem

http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/nanobridgem/nbm_ds_web.pdf

This is neat stuff... and POE so dead easy to power to the side or a building or rooftop.

This page will get you to the general site area for their other Mano range. Typically $50-$90 per end.

http://www.ubnt.com/nanostation

Yes, you can muck around with vege strainers and USB radios, but this stuff is truly plug and play. Mine even has signal strength indicators on the radio to get point-to-point alignment correct.

alanganes
07-15-2012, 02:15 PM
You are probably right Lakeside, these are made by Ubiquity as well. They are the "Bullet M" series units. I used these small enclosed yagi antennas:

http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet/-strse-252/Antenna-Yagi-Directional-Wireless/Detail

You can purchase them as separate units from other suppliers and assemble the system to save a few bucks but I chose the packaged system just to make it simple. The set from C. Crane Co. comes with the units fully pre-configured. These are POE as well. Very nice.

The Nano-bridge units look like they likely would have worked just as well.

There are testimonials to many kilometer long links in good line-of-sight installations. So the short distances involved here make things like the loss from transmitting from indoors non-issue. As DP noted, being mounted out of the weather and (hopefully) away from the racoons these should be pretty much trouble free.

Ridgerunner
07-15-2012, 05:44 PM
I wonder if these type of devices could handle the output from several security video cameras located at the remote shop to be relayed back to the house and recorded?

MrFluffy
07-15-2012, 08:12 PM
We used to have a laser link between two second floor offices on opposite sides of a busy road in brighton, uk. It gave us more bandwidth than 802, but had a unfortunate side effect that the local seagul population thought it was a line they could stand on, and quite a few used to try to land on it and suddenly fall to vehicle height to get splatted by some passing bus or wagon.
We had to pay a chap to sweep the carcasses up 3 times a day to keep the local council happy :)

Ridge, your cameras are probably multiplexed into a single feed already, and lower bandwidth if you drop the framerate, so should go across a 10mb link with ease never mind faster. We have a 1080 mpeg stream with tv across a 10mb wifi connection at 50fps without any pain which is a lot more demanding...

sasquatch
07-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Geez,,, i clicked on this thinking it would be of interest, cause someone was moving back in the boonies!!:D

alanganes
07-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Geez,,, i clicked on this thinking it would be of interest, cause someone was moving back in the boonies!!:D

Sorry to disappoint you, Sasquatch...

As for the cameras, I don't really know. But you can think of this as a long radio Ethernet cable, which is exactly what it is. In my case, the "host" end is plugged into the cable modem/router, the signal beamed across the property, and the "client" end fed into another router that has several computers plugged into it. If your cameras are all connected via Ethernet, I suppose it could be done. But I'm hardy an expert.

macona
07-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Or you can just use a cantenna on the computer in the shop and install DD-WRT on the router and kick up the power.

Frank K
07-16-2012, 03:13 PM
I've been using Powerline Networking to connect my home network to a small network in my unattached garage shop. About 100 feet away (although I've set up other powerline networks over 300 feet apart). I have an Axis PTZ day / night camera mounted in an upstairs window in the garage that streams 4 frames per second to a server in the house. I have an old laptop that I use in the garage as well as a networked electrical outlet for the heater on the diesel truck. No problem with the video stream. No interference from motors, welders, etc. Just plug the two parts in and your ready to go. Doesn't even need configuration. The in house unit is a Netgear XAV5101 - a white wall wart with a single ethernet port. The garage end is a Netgear XAV5004 - a black box with a power cord, 4 ethernet ports and a couple of LED's. It's buried on the back of a shelf somewhere in the garage. Works perfectly. They're sold as a pair. I bought mine from Newegg for about $130.