PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dell computers

gvasale
07-15-2012, 11:30 AM
A recent recepient of a Dell D600 laptop, and using a friends desktop, it's apparent that Windows software is slightly "different." Even looking on ebay there is stuff for "Dell" apart from just plain Windows.

Any explanation?

kd4gij
07-15-2012, 11:40 AM
All computer manufactures have the abilty to custumize windows for there brand.Dell just goes farther than others.

gvasale
07-15-2012, 11:44 AM
So, as an example, the "search" feature doesn't show up when you click on the "start" icon. So if I just got a new xp disc and load that, will things operate as I'm accustomed? (just one illustration)

kd4gij
07-15-2012, 12:09 PM
You can right click on the start button select properties and you can add the serch to it and what ever else you want. You do not need to reload windows.

MrSleepy
07-15-2012, 12:12 PM
So, as an example, the "search" feature doesn't show up when you click on the "start" icon. So if I just got a new xp disc and load that, will things operate as I'm accustomed? (just one illustration)

The search feature option is customizeable under Start menu->customise...and you get to it by rightclicking the start button.

Chances are..if your pc/laptop runs windows7.. you may have difficulty finding xp drivers for the newer hardware.(and before you delete win7 or vista..you need try to locate all the drivers you'll need).

Rob

Evan
07-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Everything in Windows is highly customizable by using the Group Policy Editor. I will not explain here how to go about that because you can easily cause massive problems. Virtually every single part of Windows can be enabled, disabled or otherwise changed using the GPE.

The GPE also allows you to turn off some of the most annoying features in Windows including any and all sections that "phone home" automatically.

Evan
07-15-2012, 02:01 PM
This is just a small part of the total settings available. At the admin level there are something like 1500 entries each with various settings or combinations of settings.

http://ixian.ca/pics9/gpe.gif

lazlo
07-15-2012, 04:14 PM
A recent recepient of a Dell D600 laptop, and using a friends desktop, it's apparent that Windows software is slightly "different."

Dell OEM Windows uses a special OEM SLP key and OEM BIOS Flag for activation of the OS. You can't use the Dell OEM Windows on a different PC.

gvasale
07-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks to all. I got the search on the startup now, I'll look into other stuff later.

IanPendle
07-16-2012, 03:37 AM
Evan,

You said:

"The GPE also allows you to turn off some of the most annoying features in Windows including any and all sections that "phone home" automatically."

Can you tell me which part of the GPE relates to the "phone home" functions - I would like to look into this.

Ian.

The Doctor
07-18-2012, 02:45 AM
Dell OEM Windows uses a special OEM SLP key and OEM BIOS Flag for activation of the OS. You can't use the Dell OEM Windows on a different PC.

That's not just Dell, it's how all OEM copies of windows are activated. Windows 7 uses SLIC 2.1. You can get a little program that takes a BIOS update file for your computer and adds the SLIC 2.1 table to it. You choose Dell, HP, Asus, etc. Add matching SLP & certificate to windows installation and it's done.

This info has been supplied for educational purposes only:rolleyes:

Ed

lazlo
07-18-2012, 09:56 AM
You can get a little program that takes a BIOS update file for your computer and adds the SLIC 2.1 table to it. You choose Dell, HP, Asus, etc. Add matching SLP & certificate to windows installation and it's done.

Slick! That took some serious sleuthing...