PDA

View Full Version : O/T Amelia Earhart

radkins
07-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Being a pilot and having a lifetime interest in things flying related I have always had a fascination with the Amelia Earhart mystery and lately it has been in the news quite a bit. Lot's of evidence that at least sounds credible that Earhart and Fred Noonan did in fact survive the landing and eventually died stranded on an island, just wondering if in fact this is true and they were stranded and sending out distress calls as claimed did the Navy flub the rescue effort? I know it's a LOT of area to cover and we are talking a 1930's Navy here but if they were stranded on that island close to their destination island why were they not found? I can understand that in the vastness of the Pacific and with the very limited means the Navy had available their chances of being found afloat would have been next to none but beached on an island within the search area and sending out radio signals? What do you think, is there something to the new-found evidence or is this just for publicity?

In any case it comes decades too late to do Earhart and Noonan any good!

justanengineer
07-15-2012, 08:04 PM
I havent read any of the "new" evidence, but would tend to be very doubtful of any suddenly found today. We are in the age of "reality" tv, news that is anything but, and internet acquired phds.

Something interesting (to me) and somewhat related to this topic was the very real crash that Eddie Rickenbacker and several others survived during WW2. Those that survived gave him full credit for keeping their hopes and themselves alive, after the bomber they were flying in went down in the south Pacific. I believe at the time Eddie was already well into either his 50s or 60s and somewhat "creaky" due to previous crashes and injuries which makes the story a bit more interesting. They were afloat on several open life rafts with very little food or water for 40-some odd days IIRC.

laddy
07-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Dead is dead!

x39
07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
What do you think, is there something to the new-found evidence or is this just for publicity?
I think some folks are making a very tidy living "investigating" things like this and making TV shows. ;)

Thruthefence
07-15-2012, 08:42 PM
The cynical side of me thinks this is simply a money raising enterprise for a so-called non profit. Every year or so, they drag out some artifact, a few years ago it was a shoe heel, "of a type known to be worn by A.E.", ie, from a shoe. This year it's a jar of freckle reducing cream, because of course, Amelia had freckles, so it follows,............

I think somewhere in the guv'mt archives there's an answer. I think it's likely she WAS doing a mission for the spooks of the day, at least while she was on the trip anyway.

sasquatch
07-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Seems the media is always dragging up some story to draw veiwers or sell newspapers.:rolleyes:

flylo
07-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Seems the media is always dragging up some story to draw veiwers or sell newspapers.:rolleyes:

It's been going on since newspapers started, look at what Hurst used to do. As far as Earhart is concerned I bielive they survived the crash & were on the island theory.

J. R. Williams
07-15-2012, 09:18 PM
And the Media cannot find Obama's college transcripts or birth certificate!!!

Carld
07-15-2012, 09:53 PM
And now it's found Obama lied in his book, Dreams From My Father so who can you believe even if they claim they found the wreckage and how do we know if it's the real wreckage?

jep24601
07-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Considering the case of the disappearance of Glen Miller and the information that became available just a few years ago then I don't see why one need be skeptical of "new" information.

macona
07-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I dont see what the big deal is with her. She made a stupid move and crashed somewhere. There have been a lot of others who have done the same.

x39
07-15-2012, 10:27 PM
I speculate that Earhart and Noonan were on a secret trip to the future to secure Obama's birth certificate, crashed the aircraft, and got stuck eighty years in the future with the document.

x39
07-15-2012, 10:30 PM
I dont see what the big deal is with her. She made a stupid move and crashed somewhere. There have been a lot of others who have done the same.
The fact is Earhart really wasn't a very good pilot to begin with. A hell of a lot of better pilots than her were lost in that era.

sasquatch
07-15-2012, 10:38 PM
I read someone found a note in a bottle saying Fred had fallen asleep, that's why they went down, but they were fine on the island eating mango's and pineapples.:rolleyes:

KiddZimaHater
07-16-2012, 12:16 AM
I like the Bermuda Triangle and Bigfoot mysteries myself

wierdscience
07-16-2012, 10:33 AM
The fact is Earhart really wasn't a very good pilot to begin with. A hell of a lot of better pilots than her were lost in that era.

The reality stars of their day?

x39
07-16-2012, 11:51 AM
The reality stars of their day?
Good analogy, LOL.

RWO
07-16-2012, 05:54 PM
A new expedition to search the waters off Nikumamoro just sailed.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Niku7/niku7expedition.html

RWO

darryl
07-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Funny- I read in the paper several months ago that her plane had been found. Now a search is underway to find the plane:confused:

sasquatch
07-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Darryl i thought i'd read the same report,, typical Media screwups.:rolleyes:

radkins
07-16-2012, 10:51 PM
The searchers found some Aluminum sheet that was a near perfect match to what was used for the Lockheed Electra and a small door that closely resembled the door of a small box or cabinet that was used in the cockpit of the Electra.Whoever wrote the story sure made it seem all but certain that the plane had been found, or at least parts of it, but I later read these items could also have come from hardware used in the Pacific during the war so there still is no definitive proof. Still when all the evidence is taken together it makes a fairly strong case for a short term survival even without a "smoking gun". This brings me back to the original question, did the navy flub the rescue effort? If they were in fact on that island and sending out radio signals it would seem that even with the navy's limited resources of the day they should have been found.

x39
07-16-2012, 11:38 PM
This brings me back to the original question, did the navy flub the rescue effort? If they were in fact on that island and sending out radio signals it would seem that even with the navy's limited resources of the day they should have been found.
Even if they were sending radio signals, if they didn't know their exact position I don't think it would have been a simple matter to locate them with the equipment available during that time. It's easy to pick apart rescues after the fact, but I am confident the Navy would have done everything in its power to locate them.

elf
07-17-2012, 04:25 AM
Let me see if I have all the facts straight.
After crashing into the sea somewhere near an island they swam to shore.
Using the lens from their glasses, they were able to melt sand into glass and form vacuum tubes. With the vacuum tubes, they were able to construct a radio and transmit their position. Unfortunately they should have constructed a sextant first to get an accurate position, but ended up transmitting a position that was a thousand miles from where they actually were. From this, it's obviously the Navy's fault.

p.s. I would think on a machinist forum, the discussion would be about the tolerances, repeatability, and accuracy of their position calculations and what were the chances they could find a single ship . If you relate the area of their last flight to the table of a milling machine, how many tenths off could they be and still hit the spot?