PDA

View Full Version : machine filer

1-800miner
07-17-2012, 11:40 AM
I just built a machine filer from the castings supplied from Metal Lathe Accessories.

I am pleased with his castings and happy with the finished product.

Now I need to find file for it. Just talked to Grobet File company and ordered the last of theirs.(He had to look in the 1989 catalog to find a listing)

So does anybody know of a new source?

They are called type A files or machine files. They cut on the pull stroke.

Arthur.Marks
07-17-2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.artcotools.com/parallel-machine-files/
http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Parallel-Machine-Files/2215.html
Http://www.falcontool.com/swiss_files.html (brace yourself! :))

gwilson
07-17-2012, 04:13 PM
The instructions with the kit are to break off files and grind their ends down. Then,JB Weld them into a brass sleeve to fit the machine. Since machine files are VERY expensive I'd make my own.

DON'T use Mexican made Nicholsons. I tested a pack and they are soft as mild steel to a depth of nearly 1/32". The Mexicans aren't keeping them from decarbing,and Cooper Tools is impossible to communicate with.

Believe it or not,I bought some files from Harbor Freight that are fully hardened,and not that bad.

Make sure your files cut on the down stroke. I use coarse files for nearly all my filing machine work as they don't clog so easily in a machine.

Norman Bain
07-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks Arthur for the links. I have been digging around a bit myself to see what is out there filewise as will need some soon.

Last Xmas gave myself a present when this machine came up for auction at an engineering company that was closing down.

http://downloads.purposebuilt.com.au/NJB/FilingMachine_01.jpg

Described as an "EH Jones No. 13" and being 2 hours away it was bought sight unseen. On inspection it was found to be covered in many years of repainting; there was lotsa lotsa lotsa paint. Some of the drive elements were very much the original and very much in need of a restore. It was also not obvious to me just how it worked. Yes I could see that when the motor went round that the arm went up'n'down but there was an air pump at the back and other leavers and stuff inside that did not look fully functional etc. Anyways decided best to do a bit of a tear down to establish just what made it tick; plus how to lubricate it and to tidy it up some.

The table tilt mechanims etc etc were as if "never been used" condition.

Good news was the gearbox was in very usable condition. It had been very nicely "repaired" at some point; though (what I think is) the dynamic stroke cycle thingy has been disabled. To me the gearbox internals are a very cleaver design.

There is also a "stop motor and adjust the stroke cycle" thingy which is still very functional. All was just so perfect and tight within the gearbox sliding parts that I am very confident of a good outcome.

PS: I offer only marginal apologies for injecting this into the thread; and for the tool gloat

PS PS: I would appreciate input from those who would care to enlighten me as to the correct terminology for the various parts and actions etc.

Norman