PDA

View Full Version : Bargains, Surplus, Etc. In San Francisco/San Jose Area

Paul Alciatore
07-18-2012, 03:47 AM
I will be visiting this area and may have some time for slumming, err, shopping. Anybody know of any places for bargains in either machinery, tools, or electronics in that area?

macona
07-18-2012, 04:30 AM
A lot of the good places like Triangle have closed up and the other places like Wierdstuff have a lot of junk. Halted (HSC) had some goodies the last time I was down there.

Michael Hall
07-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Depending on when you going to be here, here are some places to visit:

http://www.junktronix.com/svss/

Michael

Evan
07-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Are you kidding??? The silicon valley area is prime surplus territory. I don't know which places still exist but I guarantee there are plenty of good places. I would stay away from Oakland though. The longest bridge in the world goes all the way from Fairyland to Africa.

Ryobiguy
07-18-2012, 02:38 PM
I would stay away from Oakland though. The longest bridge in the world goes all the way from Fairyland to Africa.

Does anyone else find this offensive or is it just me?

Evan
07-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Of course it is offensive to the easily offended. It's still funny to some people and more importantly it is a practical reality. Don't go to Oakland.

Evan
07-18-2012, 02:48 PM
http://ixian.ca/pics9/oakland.jpg

dp
07-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Are you kidding??? The silicon valley area is prime surplus territory. I don't know which places still exist but I guarantee there are plenty of good places. I would stay away from Oakland though. The longest bridge in the world goes all the way from Fairyland to Africa.

Do you remember all the surplus stores on Bay Farm Island before the airport took it all over? Man there was some fun stuff there.

dp
07-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Of course it is offensive to the easily offended. It's still funny to some people and more importantly it is a practical reality. Don't go to Oakland.

Portlandia is another one to skirt. :)

Evan
07-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Do you remember all the surplus stores on Bay Farm Island before the airport took it all over?

Yep. I forget the name of the big surplus store there but I went shopping there many times. Oakland hasn't changed a lot though although it may be a bit safer now than it used to be. I used to work in Oakland at a company called American Chemical and Nuclear. I would park my Fiat 850 with the top down so it wouldn't be cut to get in and check out what to steal. I would leave a dime in the ashtray and it was usually gone by quitting time.

Ryobiguy
07-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Just curious - would Village Press be willing to put that comment about Fairyland and Africa in one of its magazines? If not, then too many people must be easily offended.
Anyways, I don't mean to threadjack, back to the talk about the bay area:

In Oakland there's also the Crucible, which I saw for the first time recently. I checked out the machine shop area and they had 9 lathes and maybe half a dozen mills. Not exactly the place OP is asking about (surplus,) but it is interesting, and it is in Oakland.

Evan
07-18-2012, 03:22 PM
I should point out that I have a condition called Prosopagnosia. It means I cannot recognize or remember faces. I am also slightly colour blind. Also, my step father, who is still alive thinks the joke is funny. He is African-American. In fact, I think it was him that told me the joke.

He used to live in Oakland but moved to Vallejo because Oakland was too dangerous.

Paul Alciatore
07-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Depending on when you going to be here, here are some places to visit:

http://www.junktronix.com/svss/

Michael

Michael, Thanks for the only real info. I have visited the bay area before but never knew where to look. It is a bit too large to just drive around and look.

Thanks again.

As for the comments about particular areas, I normally don't mind thread hijacks, but please don't turn this one into a closed thread.

macona
07-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Are you kidding??? The silicon valley area is prime surplus territory. I don't know which places still exist but I guarantee there are plenty of good places.

WAS prime territory. Businesses handle their surplus differently now, a lot of them take it straight to the scrap yard with orders it is to be destroyed.

The market has significantly changed with ebay and the internet in general. Many surplus places have closed their front doors and solely rely on ebay.

jkilroy
07-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Evan's comment is so true, you can choose to be offended, which generally means you choose not to believe the truth. I worked in city center in Oakland for six years, back in the 90's, and really enjoyed it. But you make one wrong turn, or walk one block to far in the wrong direction and you are in the ****, and I don't mean in a good way. I am guessing it hasn't improved much since then.

beanbag
07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
I agree with Macona. Because this area is so populous, the surplus places tend to get picked clean of all the good stuff by the time you get there. In particular, Halted (HSC) is mainly good for buying a bunch of electronic components. Their "surplus" stuff is at relatively high prices.

PeteM
07-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Gary Aragon, at 601 Aladdin Ave in San Leandro (near off limits to Evan) is a machine dealer with a pretty good stock and reasonable prices. You can always check the SF Bay Craigslist if there's something in particular you want. Rowe Machinery, on the West Side of Santa Cruz is a good guy (Bob Rowe) with a good stock and fair prices on a wide range of machinists tools.

As noted above there are still a ton of electronics surplus (as well as office furniture) surplus places. The loss of Triangle Machinery is still lamented by many.

ckelloug
07-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Well, no hints on surplus but The Tech Shop's original location is in Menlo Park.

Only a gift shop there but, I must strongly recommend going to the Computer History Museum in Sunnyvale. That place is incredible and it has the fully working replica of Babbage's difference Engine 2 on display (machining content!). I missed the demo last trip but the difference engine is amazing. Also, they have a working PDP-1 mini-computer from the 1950's or 1960's. There's also the tech museum in San Jose.

Halted Surplus is in the Sunnyvale area too as everybody has mentioned. If I only had a little time though , I'd spend it at the computer history museum making sure to get there early enough to see the difference engine demonstration!

Regards,

Cameron

justanengineer
07-18-2012, 06:39 PM
It's still funny to some people and more importantly it is a practical reality. Don't go to Oakland.

I cannot argue with great logic. I've often found the best shopping is where recognizable Englsih is a rarity and most folks fear to tread.

Good luck, enjoy the trip, and remember that gloats require pics.

Also, if you see a Powermatic turret lathe for sale in the ghetto, we have a member looking for one.