PDA

View Full Version : Interesting diversions in Albuquerque, N. M.

Thruthefence
07-18-2012, 07:58 PM
I am accompanying my wife to Albuquerque this week for a training seminar, and was wondering if anyone has any technically oriented points of interest to recommend. I've got the Eclipse Aircraft factory, and the Unser Racing museum in the Garmin so far.

How about restaurants?

Gazz
07-18-2012, 08:12 PM
There is the Atomic Museum at Sandia. Pretty cool and pretty frightening at the same time. I never knew they made that many bombs!

bobw53
07-18-2012, 09:31 PM
I don't know much about the north half of the state,

but here is a reprint from 67 years ago that popped up the other day. you might find interesting, since you are talking about bombs and all.

http://www.alamogordonews.com/ci_21098121/terrific-explosion-west-tularosa-monday-morning?source=most_viewed

(the link will probably die in a day or 2).

There is the VLA (Very Large Array) west of socorro, hour or so away, kind of boring, but its kind of neat.

If you are going with the wife, she is going to drag you around Old Towne looking at turquoise jewelry. Its going to suck, find yourself a nice bench under a tree and wear your "sittin' britches", its going to take her a while. There is a book store there that is pretty cool, lot of local stuff and the old guy that runs it is always good for a few stories. And if you are right there in the plaza, you'll see 2 restaurants, a busy one, and an empty one. The empty one is empty for a reason.

Restaurants, there are a lot of them. I thought the Brazilian steak house/BBQ place down by the train station was pretty cool, I had never been to one before.

There is a hot air balloon museum. Because they have the worlds largest hot air balloon rally in October.

Here is a pic from a few years ago when I was drug up there. And then we went to Santa Fe to look at turquoise jewelry. :(
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7600469010_8615f305ef_z.jpg

You could stop and see this guy, and buy your self a disco.
http://www.disc-it.com/

That's our old Mazak salesman, good guy, I've got one, the thing is sweet. Tell him(Nevin) I sent you, he might give you a tour of the shop, though he is usually busy busy.

Optics Curmudgeon
07-18-2012, 10:31 PM
There is the Atomic Museum at Sandia. Pretty cool and pretty frightening at the same time. I never knew they made that many bombs!

It's not at Sandia anymore, they moved it downtown.
http://www.nuclearmuseum.org/

fishfrnzy
07-18-2012, 10:46 PM
+1 on the nuclear museum. It is on the east side of town just south of I40. THere is another intersting museum all the way up in Los Alamos that is worth a visit ( about 2 hours from Alb). Bandoleer NP is a little farther past there and has alot of interesting native american history, publos and cliff dwellings. Shopping and eating in Santa Fe, old churches etc.

ckelloug
07-19-2012, 12:17 AM
I lived in Albuquerque almost 15 years ago.

There is the Albuquerque museum downtown. There is the tram out to the east of town that goes up the mountain.

Breakfast is good at Sadie's in the northeast: burrito smothered in awesome green chile. Also breakfast at Gardunos somewhere closer to downtown. There was a kitchen stuff store in the northeast sector near Academy that had nice Maple wooden spoons.

There is an incredible restaurant called Rancho de Chimayo out in Chimayo, NM about an hour outside of Albuquerque. This is the best mexican restaurant ever (IMHO) housed in a Hacienda that predates the existence of the United States. It's far enough off the beaten path that people think you are taking them out in the desert to kill them though so be patient on the drive out to Chimayo.

Chaco Canyon national monument is amazing although it is quite a long trip from Albuquerque: the remains of multistory mud buildings better than the Romans had.

It's an incredibly long drive but you could also go out to the VLA in the vicinty of White Sands which is interesting in and of itself.

Finally, be careful driving in Albuquerque: An awful lot of the locals think red traffic light means go and there were a lot of accidents due to people running red lights when I lived there.

Regards,

Cameron

macona
07-19-2012, 12:32 AM
If you dont mind a drive there is Black Hole Surplus in Los Alamos:

http://www.blackholesurplus.com

I REALLY want to go there.

-Jerry

becksmachine
07-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Does Sandia Labs still operate a surplus sale yard?

Dave

Optics Curmudgeon
07-19-2012, 09:59 AM
The owner of the Black Hole died a couple of years ago and a friend of his is running the place now. It appears that nothing new has come in there in a long time. It's full of interesting stuff, but a bit depressing if you're looking to buy something useful.

The National Labs went to sealed bid sales in the '90s and the walk-in sales yards went away.

rkepler
07-19-2012, 10:41 AM
The owner of the Black Hole died a couple of years ago and a friend of his is running the place now. It appears that nothing new has come in there in a long time. It's full of interesting stuff, but a bit depressing if you're looking to buy something useful.

I still want that chunk of tungsten carbide at the checkout - got to be 75 pounds.

The National Labs went to sealed bid sales in the '90s and the walk-in sales yards went away.

I used to get early access to the salvage yard, at least 2 hours before the public (it was for the public schools). Got a bunch of handy stuff - 5KV pulse power supply to make a dye laser, CO2 laser tubes, mirrors with lots of good space, functioning magnetrons. It was nice to browse in the quiet, when the gates opened to the public these was enough of a rush that I was worried someone would be trampled.

When I was doing some stuff on the hill I'd drop by The Black Hole once in a while. The real problem was that the stuff I considered 'cool' were the things he didn't want to sell, so all I could really do was to wander around lusting after things. Kind of frustrating to see a bunch of thyratrons you could use up high where he'd never sell them. I still wonder if he ever sold the SB shaper. I did manage to find a bunch-o-tooling from Monarch 10EEs that was unidentifiable to someone w/o one, got a decent deal on that and had trading stock for a long while.

Back to the subject at hand:

Atomic Museum near Old Town.
The natural History Museum nearby is decent.
Albuquerque Museum, also nearby, is decent.
Pueblo Cultural Center (12th & I-40?) is interesting and the cafe is pretty good.
Sadies still serves kick-ass New Mexican food on 4th st.
Balloon Museum (Alameda west of I25) is OK
Unser Museum (Montano east of the river)

A ride on the train to Santa Fe, lunch and back might be interesting. There's a decent place right at the train depo (Thomasita's) and they have carne adoba on Fridays. There's also shopping nearby for those inclined.

If you have some time there are other things in the area, but it'd help to know what interests you have and when you'd be here.