PDA

View Full Version : Finding an entry in the Forum

George_Race
07-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Maybe I am just having one of those senior citizen brain farts, but I can't seem to be able to find anything in the Forum.

I select the Forum Tab, then click on the General Heading. I then put "Magnetic Clock" in the search box. It come back and says that nothing is found.

What am I missing here? Is there any other way to find a forum entry that you have posted in the past?

A suggestion to the Moderator:

How about having under the Quick Links tab, a couple of additional searches.
The first would be: My Posts
The next would be: My Replies

Either or both are on a lot of other Forum Boards, and are very helpful in finding your way around.

George

MrSleepy
07-20-2012, 09:08 AM
I noticed yesterday that the search function wasn't working too well...but its just another issue in the que.

A search for "lathe" produced no hits yesterday...and 8 today. so things are getting better.

Rob

oldtiffie
07-20-2012, 09:44 AM
I noticed yesterday that the search function wasn't working too well...but its just another issue in the que.

A search for "lathe" produced no hits yesterday...and 8 today. so things are getting better.

Rob

Its working OK - just a bit tricky until you get used to it - and then its OK - if you remember the sequence.

Black_Moons
07-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Use google to search this forum.
Really, the search button should be disabled or altered to just direct you to a google search of this website. It would be much more effective that way...

browne92
07-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Yea, I tried to find the thread about grinding fly cutters yesterday, and came up with nothing. I suspect there are indexes to be rebuilt or something like that.

Black Moons does make a good point. I've seen many sites with their own search engine that don't work well. Google is so good at it, why re-invent the wheel?

dp
07-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Maybe I am just having one of those senior citizen brain farts, but I can't seem to be able to find anything in the Forum.

It looks like they need to create the search index. The only results I see are from posts created since the update. And there is also a CAPTCHA tool on the search page you have to respond to and which is intended to prevent robotic searches. Good idea, too.

I would bet too that the search box is contextual to where you are in the forum when you start the search. If in a thread then it will search only that thread. In a forum such as General it will search all of General. At the top level it searches everything. The Advanced Search lets you select the context and other search enhancements that will ensure good results. None of it will work until the site is indexed, though.

JFLingg
07-20-2012, 04:24 PM
This Google Search entry works very well:

? search phrase site:bbs.homeshopmachinist.net

Example of use: ? grind fly cutter site:bbs.homeshopmachinist.net

JFLingg