PDA

View Full Version : Toolpost Stud on Colchester

mikerolly
07-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Good evening Gents,

I picked myself up a Colchester Student MK1 over the weekend, a welcome addition to my generic Chinese 10x22.

Pulling things apart and applying fresh lube to the working parts, I am having some trouble in removing the toolpost stud from the top slide. The top slide is also still attatched to the compound, from my un trained eye, it seems removal of the TP stud is required before seperating the TS and compound.

How does one do this?

It has the square tool holder, I have removed this, yet removing the stud itself is beyond me.

Any advice appreciated.

Mike

ammcoman2
07-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Maybe it is similar to the Myford one. You push the stud out as it has a shoulder underneath. Best to separate the slide to verify, though.

Geoff

mikerolly
07-21-2012, 05:03 AM
Thanks for your idea Geoff, trouble is I cannot get the top slide off the compound.

I have removed a couple of set screws and loosened off the gib screws on the side of the slide.

Looks as if the only way to remove the top slide and its lead screw is to remove the entire handle and dial assembly.

How does one do this?

Mike

ammcoman2
07-21-2012, 09:36 AM
I just had a quick look at the lathe in Tony Griffith's web site. It appears that there is no bolt-on section for the topslide's screw. On my Standard Modern's cross slide there is a set screw underneath the saddle section where the screw assembly joins the saddle. It may have the same arrangement on your lathe's topslide.

I have the operators manual and part list for my lathe so it was easy to see how it was fixed in place.

Geoff