PDA

View Full Version : Ring Light for Mill

GT1
07-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Has anyone tried to use one of the camera LED ring lights used for macro photography for use on a mill quill? They look like that would be easy to adapt and have an AC adapter for constant use. There are some on ebay that are quite inexpensive.

www.ebay.com/itm/MACRO-RING-LED-LIGHT-RING-48-for-Canon-Sony-Nikon-lens-/320683983999?pt=Digital_Camera_Flashes&hash=item4aaa41447f

rkepler
07-20-2012, 10:49 AM
I intend to mount this one on my mill above the quill, just to see how it does. It puts out a bunch of light on 12V.

http://www.kepler-eng.com/images/mill_led.jpg

They're pretty checp on eBay and import sellers, called "angel eye" lights and are meant for mounting around a car's headlights.

I'm likely to just glue a couple of magnets to the back and hardwire it into a wall wart and see how it works. I suspect that it's not going to be really useful when the quill is fully extended.

RWO
07-20-2012, 02:24 PM
I bought one of the cheapys on ebay and tried it on my BP. Basically useless. The LED's are basically angled away from the center of the circle which leaves the spindle work point un-illuminated. A couple of weeks after I mounted it, a couple of LED's failed and some others lost brightness. It went into the trash. Don't waste your money. Maybe the higher cost camera lights might be better. This one I had was advertised as a camper's tent light and only cost a few dollars.

RWO

loose nut
07-20-2012, 02:57 PM
I put one on my mill, local purchase about $25 I think. Wouldn't part with it for anything.:o

randyjaco
07-20-2012, 08:02 PM
You might try one of these. Replace the base with a speaker magnet and you have a great machine light. I have several in my shop. The long goose neck will get the light right where you want it.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

Randy

jhe.1973
07-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Has anyone tried to use one of the camera LED ring lights used for macro photography for use on a mill quill? They look like that would be easy to adapt and have an AC adapter for constant use. There are some on ebay that are quite inexpensive.

www.ebay.com/itm/MACRO-RING-LED-LIGHT-RING-48-for-Canon-Sony-Nikon-lens-/320683983999?pt=Digital_Camera_Flashes&hash=item4aaa41447f

I intend to mount this one on my mill above the quill, just to see how it does. It puts out a bunch of light on 12V.

They're pretty checp on eBay and import sellers, called "angel eye" lights and are meant for mounting around a car's headlights.

I'm likely to just glue a couple of magnets to the back and hardwire it into a wall wart and see how it works. I suspect that it's not going to be really useful when the quill is fully extended.

Thanks to both of you for posting these items. They look to be just what I need for macro shots and for a stereo microscope I have.

kf2qd
07-20-2012, 11:40 PM
I bought a round LED light from an autoparts shop. Made some minor mods to it and mounted it around the spindle.