PDA

View Full Version : Hug your Wife!

flylo
07-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Wasn't going to post this but this morning my wife left for work & 1 1/2 miles later swerved to miss a ground hog, hit a soft shoulder & rolled the car down about 8' into a ditch between 2 fields. She called me, I called 911 & headed down there. Her new to her car is on it's top. I couldn't see her but she had crawled out in the black muck we have & crawled down a deer trail until she could get up the hill. She was quite a sight! The car's gone but she's alive, sore,red,scratched & swollen. They put her in a neck brace on a back board for the trip tp the hospital but I think she'll be fine. So with all the talk about change on here I just wanted to say, remember who's important & make sure they know it because change can come in an instant. Be Thankful, I AM! Eric

John Stevenson
07-20-2012, 08:07 PM
OK no problems.
Let me know what hospital she's in and I'll go and hug her.

Pherdie
07-20-2012, 08:29 PM
One of life's 'wake-up calls'.

I'm glad she's OK and hopefully back to full health soon.

Dr Stan
07-20-2012, 08:36 PM
fylo,

Glad to hear her injuries seem to be minor. The car can be replaced, she cannot. My wife has given me similar scares and it sure straightens out ones priorities.

Stan

Tamper84
07-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Glad to hear she is ok. Like Dr.Stan said the car can be replaced. You an her will be in my prayers. Hope for a speedy recovery.

Chris.

sasquatch
07-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Get up any morning, and we have no idea what will take place to change a bunch of things.

Give her a hug for all of us Eric, and tell her that we all stress the need to run over the groundhog next time!! Lol

KiddZimaHater
07-21-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm glad she's Ok. Tell her, "Next time, keep the wheels straight, and smash the Groundhog!" :)

duckman
07-21-2012, 12:33 AM
If its me a tree or the little animal sorry animal!

quasi
07-21-2012, 01:37 AM
yup, I only swerve for Moose, Grizzlys, and Bison, anything smaller I run over.

Sleazey
07-21-2012, 02:52 AM
Yep, sorry small animals, but I have to agree. Losing control of a vehicle at any significant speed could cost you your life, your passenger's lives, and the innocent folks in oncoming cars that you hit.

It was brought home to me and my son about 4 years ago. Jeff had car trouble south of Dallas on a weekend about a month after school was out. He parked the car on the side of the road, and hitch-hiked home. I called a towing company and got the car picked up and taken to their storage lot, since I couldn't do anything about it for a couple of days.

3 days later, Jeff and I drove the 175 miles up to the towing service storage lot, to drop off the keys and arrange for repairs (burnt up automatic transmission). While we were at the lot, one of their tow trucks brought in a small SUV that obviously been rolled over at high speed. The sun roof was open and there was heavy damage to the entire roof, both sides, and the bottom of the vehicle.

The tow truck driver told me the driver of the wrecked SUV had been killed, because he was not wearing his seat belt, and with the open sun roof, when the car rolled, he ended up half in and half out by the time the car rolled over. He suffered massive injuries to his head, neck, and upper body. Any one of them would have been fatal.

A few days later I looked up the newspaper for that small town, and found the accident report. The driver had just graduated the month before from high school, was the football team's quarterback, and was getting ready to start college in the fall. The SUV was his high school graduation gift. He was on his way to work at his summer job in the early morning of the day we were there. A driver in a car behind the young man saw the accident.

According to the witness, the SUV driver lost control when a rabbit darted out across the road in front of him and he swerved to miss it. He lost control, and the SUV rolled over multiple times. The witness said he could see the young man half in and half out of the sunroof as the car rolled over on him multiple times. He pulled over and called 911. The young man was dead at the scene, and the newspaper reported that it was a closed-casket service. As a parent of 4 kids myself, I can only dimly imagine the anguish of his parents.

Another reason to always wear your seat belts, especially if you have a sunroof. You might feel bad about killing or injuring a rabbit, an armadillo, a fox, or some other small animal, but they are not worth your life.

Black Forest
07-21-2012, 02:59 AM
You didn't happen to catch the ground hog did you? I will pay shipping and all expenses to me.

Really glad your wife is going to be OK. Driving is just like owning a gun. There are certain times when you must have an almost reflexive reaction to a situation. These times must be trained for in advance.

Boostinjdm
07-21-2012, 03:16 AM
I'll swerve about one tire width to dodge small animals. I'll slow or stop if possible for deer. If it's a cat or taller than the undercarriage, they're out of luck. I got me a bird today....

ikdor
07-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Regarding swerving for small animals, this is an interesting bit of research :-)
http://now.msn.com/mark-rober-conducts-an-experiment-showing-how-often-drivers-swerve-to-intentionally-kill-an-animal

The people swerving to kill the animals are probably saving someone else from swerving and hitting a tree.

Igor

Jim Doherty
07-21-2012, 08:23 AM
I always try to keep a thumb on the horn when I drive, it's saved more than a few animals and prevented a couple accidents as well.

No need to swerve hard, that's a recipe for disaster, just hit the horn and tap the brakes.

Wow Igor I knew a lot of people were worthless p.o.s but for them to purposefully run over an animal?? I'm floored.

Jim

I was so shocked at Igor's link I forgot to say I'm glad your wife is OK, hope she recovers fully.

bborr01
07-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Eric,

Glad to hear that your wife is OK. Give her a big hug for me, if she is'nt too sore.

Brian

flylo
07-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks Guy's I'll pass it along. I think it was just a super soft shoulder after the rain we finally got. It just sucked her over the edge when she hit the shoulder. The trooper parked with 2 wheels just off the pavement & almost got stuck. Thanks again!

sasquatch
07-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Eric, be carefull in your'e addiction pursuits,, we don't want to hear about you rolling that truck with a nice lathe or shaper etc in the back of it!!:p

tmc_31
07-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Flylo,

First, I am glad that you wife is ok, like others, I know how scary an accident like that can be.

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but here goes.

About 25 years ago, my wife had a similar accident. She was driving my pick up out a rural road heading for our home. I was following her in the car. As she rounded a gentle curve going about 55mph, the truck came completely unhinged flipping over, and landing on it's top in the bar ditch facing the other direction. As I watched this scene unfold, I panicked. I pulled over and ran to the truck, she was not inside. She was laying in the bar ditch about 20' from the truck. I checked her over, she did not have any major injuries that I could find. I had her lay still while we waited for the ambulance. Took her to the ER where they checked her out, pulled some glass out of her neck from where she went out the passenger side window, and pronounced her good to go.

About 15 years later she began experiencing some unexplained neck pain. Doctors couldn't figure out why. Two years ago they did an MRI on her neck and found a compressed disk, most likely from the accident. She still has the neck pain and periodically has to have treatments for relief.

The moral of this story is, be sure the doctors check your wife out thoroughly!! Even though she seems ok now (thank God), there could be some hidden damage that if not found now will manifest itself later and be much harder to treat.

We never did figure out why she rolled the truck that day. She was driving at a moderate speed, around a gentle curve, in good weather and in a well maintained fairly new pick-up. She swears that she was wearing her seat belt. We did figure out that she was thrown out the right side passenger window into the bar ditch as the truck rolled over her and landed on it's top about 20' away.

Anyway, I hope all goes well. Thank you for posting this as it reminds me how tenuous life can be.

All the best,

Tim

gnm109
07-21-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. I hope that she wll be OK.

(Per the advice offered, I tried to hug my wife this morning and she asked me what I have been up to.....)

oil mac
07-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Flylo,
glad all worked out well for your good lady, This will have given her a shake Make sure she has not lost her confidence as a consequence Approx twenty odd years ago, a driver roared round a corner and as a consequence my car, &his were written off, He was extremely seriously injured, He had lost it on the bend of the road, Since then my wife is a bit nervous in the car , Fortunately we were both not badly hurt
This afternoon i took her a run down the motorway, to a small eatery & on the way back, an imbecile in a large powerful car cut me up, He then lane hopped out to the mid lane again , then cut infront of two other cars-- Absolute lunacy at high speed
I have heard that agressive , careless, & fast driving is a sign of a control freak in many cases.

mike4
07-23-2012, 05:10 AM
Hope all is ok with your wife , and on the note of giving your wife a hug mine reacts in a similar fashion to what was posted by a previous poster.
Usually with " what have you bought now?"

Michael

wb2vsj
07-23-2012, 08:02 AM
yup, I only swerve for Moose, Grizzlys, and Bison, anything smaller I run over.

I've heard of Bison and Grizzly tools, but what are "Moose" tools?......Ohhhhh, you mean the critters! ;)

Eric - Glad your better half is doing ok.

Walt

besser
07-23-2012, 08:03 AM
I hope for a speedy recovery for your wife.

krutch
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Glad you wife looks to be OK. I'm going 100 mi. tomorrow to visit the grave of the only girl I really loved. Didn't get to give last hug.

legendboy
07-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Glad she is ok!!!

Your Old Dog
07-23-2012, 09:14 PM
I've finished up a 35 year career as a TV news photographer of these type of things that always happen to other people. Do it often enough and becomes very clear they all look just about like me and my family. We may all be just the next intersection away from not being here. Make abundantly clear to your family how you feel about them now because you may not be able to do so later. I recently had a false alarm with the heart, my mortality didn't bother me half as much as thinking about would my family miss me and what kind of financial shape I was leaving the wife in. Those are what you think about in your final moments.

Really nice to hear your wife is going to be fine.

bruto
07-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Glad to hear all is ok, and; seconding the hug. This spring I had a bit of the other way around, went out on April 7 for a routine bicycle ride and got hit by a car. Wife got message that I was in ambulance heading for hospital, no news. I survived pretty well, only two broken neck vertebrae, a broken clavicle, bruises, road rash, small hearing glitch, brain damage and a visual disturbance that still keeps me from driving, but I'm feeling pretty good, and it sure puts things in perspective in a hurry. Who and what is really important. I'll drive again eventually, my brain is mending, I can live with the nerve damage, my neck and shoulder are out of the braces and recovering, the road rash is just a big purple blotch most places, and it's all annoying, but wife is still there and everything else is secondary.

Alistair Hosie
07-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Well said flylo, and warmest regards to her good self from we in the Hosie household.When my son was a junior doctor he borrowed my brand new car at xmas to go to hospital on Christmas eve to do his work on the way a landslide came down the mountain and swept him off the road and turned the car upside down into a river.He got out without as much as a scratch.He swears by airbags since.My wife turned to a page in the bible when we heard it and was met with the words not a hair on his head shall be damaged not one. It gave us relief,when he came in soaking wet complaining about losing his mobile phone and his presents to the water.Alistair