PDA

View Full Version : Using steady rest AND a center

lowcountrycamo
07-21-2012, 10:47 PM
This week I have been turning a couple 2" by 24" steel and getting chatter that would not quite. I tried everything I could think of from live/dead centers, different speeds/feeds, trying every shape hss and carbide I could grind up(including different tool radius). Had half the piece wrapped in rubber. I finally pulled out the steady from the draw and set up near the tail a couple inches from dead center... no more chatter. I read Forrest the other day commenting on the merits of owning several steady's... I agree. I will be searching for another now.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p516/lowcountrycamo/IMG_1781.jpg

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p516/lowcountrycamo/IMG_1782.jpg

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p516/lowcountrycamo/IMG_1783.jpg

Any one else have good uses of a SR.

dp
07-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Look for a follower rest, too. That is more appropriate to what you are doing.

oldtiffie
07-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Sometimes its better to run the lathe in reverse and invert the cutting tool. It will force the reaction to the cut to be taken on the lower two arms of the steady - as well as being assisted by gravity. Slower turning speed and heavier cuts may assist as well.

I'm curious as to why you are not turning that groove up near the chuck near the head-stock as that would be the optimum solution - and the steady might not be needed at all - unless there is a good reason not to.

tdmidget
07-21-2012, 11:07 PM
judging from the pix you don't have one at all. The pix show a "follower" rest, not a steady. No wonder you have problems. Get a steady rest and experiment with it.

dp
07-22-2012, 12:25 AM
judging from the pix you don't have one at all. The pix show a "follower" rest, not a steady. No wonder you have problems. Get a steady rest and experiment with it.

A follower rest that clamps to the ways 2" to the left of the cutter? What does it follow?

Carld
07-22-2012, 12:25 AM
That is an open face steady rest with three rollers.

tdmidget
07-22-2012, 06:10 AM
In the pix I cannot see it clamped to the ways. It appears to be attached to the crossslide. If chatter is the problem it would be vastly more effective half way between the tool and headstock center.

John Stevenson
07-22-2012, 06:39 AM
It is clamped to the bed but the 'ears' of the saddle go round it giving the impression it's on the saddle.
It's nowhere near the cross slide, any form of steady mounted to the cross slide would be useless.

lowcountrycamo
07-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Sometimes its better to run the lathe in reverse and invert the cutting tool. It will force the reaction to the cut to be taken on the lower two arms of the steady - as well as being assisted by gravity. Slower turning speed and heavier cuts may assist as well.

I'm curious as to why you are not turning that groove up near the chuck near the head-stock as that would be the optimum solution - and the steady might not be needed at all - unless there is a good reason not to.

Thought I would groove while down there facing off but I wasn't really thinking clear. Your right Tiffie, should have been cutting groove at other end. I like the idea of running reverse but I've got those damn threads on spindle.

As noted the steady is just tucked in. I have a follow rest though, I will pull that out the draw too. Thanks for the comments guys!