PDA

View Full Version : Vitreous Metal

Rustybolt
03-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Also called glassy metal. In an article in the April issue of Discover magazine they decribe something I've never heard of.
It's a combination of zirconium,titanium,nickle,copper and beryllium. No crystals just atoms bonded together. Very light and strong can be foamed to make it even lighter. Unlike other vitreous metals this wont fracture.
It cost about $15.00 a pond now but they are working to get it under a $1.00 a pound.
Best way to work it is to cast into molds.
Anybody else hear about this?

Evan
03-05-2004, 06:07 PM
They have been making glassy iron for many years. Liquid iron is sprayed on a cryogenically cooled rotating drum and it solidifies so quickly that no crystal structure forms. It is used to make power transformer cores and is much more efficient than regular cores.

mochinist
03-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Great magazine, I have been getting it since the mid eighties (even though alot of the stuff they write about blows my mind). Anyways Evan you are right about what you are talking about but the metal they describe in Discover, is a blend that doesn't need the special cooling process. The interesting thing about this metal is it can be poured into a mold and when it hardens the part is done, with no need for machining. For example the article states that you could pour the metal into a mold for a razor blade and when it cooled , the razor blade is finished with no need for grinding. It was a good article and if you can get this months issue you should check it out.