PDA

View Full Version : How to make the most of your shop space

Black_Moons
07-26-2012, 08:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_paradox
I am pertty sure this holds the solution to packing yet more tools into our shops.. Im just not exactly sure how to impliment it!

Void
07-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Yehbut.... It would be awkward working in a shop where the larger tools are zipping around at some appreciable fraction of the speed of light. :rolleyes:

-DU-

darryl
07-26-2012, 09:52 PM
If the walls of the garage are made of solid cement 23.5 inches thick, then any length of ladder will fit, provided it's moving fast enough. This gets us into a whole new class of metalworking- HSIF (high speed impact forming). It might be appropriate for making hit-n-miss engines. With your material moving that quickly, sometimes you'll hit, sometimes you'll miss.

If the workshop is really too small, then you need to carry a small ladder inside (a step ladder will do) then cause it to expand in all directions at once at a good fraction of the speed of light. It will become part of the workshop, but it won't matter as you'll never find a piece of it big enough to see anyway. Come to think of it, you'll never find a piece of the workshop or any of the tools in it either. But you will have lots of space.

loose nut
07-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Does this mean that I can get a 20" x 60" lathe into a 10' sq. shop.

Black_Moons
07-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Does this mean that I can get a 20" x 60" lathe into a 10' sq. shop.

Yes, you'll need a VFD that can get it up to a Ghz however.

Jaakko Fagerlund
07-27-2012, 05:30 PM
..so when my customer says that some feature of a part is too big, I shall just answer that he/she is not moving fast enough while measuring :D

Dr Stan
07-27-2012, 05:44 PM
ranks right up there with "board stretchers". :rolleyes: