PDA

View Full Version : Countersink Selection

garagemark
07-27-2012, 10:03 AM
I need to obtain a better selection of countersinks for the shop. All I currently have are 3/8", 82 degree for small screws, and most are three flute TiN coated for general purpose use. However, I need to "stock up" for a bit more versatility (I needed to countersink some 1/4-20 flat heads the other day and had nothing to do so). They will be used in mostly mild steel or aluminum.

So, what are your opinions of what I maybe should keep around in the tool box... without breaking the bank? I would like to have a selection based on pretty much general purpose.

Thanks,
Mark

JCD
07-27-2012, 10:25 AM
I would recommend Weldon style countersinks

Bob Fisher
07-27-2012, 05:43 PM
I much prefer single flute c'sinks myself. Bob.

Arthur.Marks
07-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Well, to be honest, I think the OP was asking about how many not what type. I generally think you need three based on shank size to cover the whole gambit. An inch plus c'sink tool with a half inch shank, maybe a 5/8 to 3/4" tool with a 3/8" shank, and a comparatively small one with a 1/4" shank. With my floor standing pillar drill, I use the largest for just about everything unless the chisel edge (I have the single flute kind) is wider than the actual c'sink needed. Then I use the smallest. On my bench lathe, I use the middle size one most because the drill chuck that fits the tailstock is 3/8" capacity. Can't say I've ever needed other than an 82-degree angle to fit a flat head screw...

Harvey Melvin Richards
07-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Well, to be honest, I think the OP was asking about how many not what type. I generally think you need three based on shank size to cover the whole gambit. An inch plus c'sink tool with a half inch shank, maybe a 5/8 to 3/4" tool with a 3/8" shank, and a comparatively small one with a 1/4" shank. With my floor standing pillar drill, I use the largest for just about everything unless the chisel edge (I have the single flute kind) is wider than the actual c'sink needed. Then I use the smallest. On my bench lathe, I use the middle size one most because the drill chuck that fits the tailstock is 3/8" capacity. Can't say I've ever needed other than an 82-degree angle to fit a flat head screw...

Metric flat heads usually use a 90 countersink. I usually reach for a Weldon Zero Flute, or a single flute. I probably have 30 or 40 different countersinks if you include all of the Shaviv type hand ones. I can never have too many tools.