PDA

View Full Version : Tip: Afterhours Source for Non-Critical Steel Tubing

EddyCurr
07-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Keep Folding Bag Chairs or Camp Chairs in mind as a possible material source
for short lengths of small diameter steel tubing.

I had a project that stalled until I recalled that a discarded bag chair might
yield up some suitable 5/8" dia material. The steel was fine, the chair had
been discarded because several of the engineering plastic components that
act as hinge points and chair feet had broken, the chair fabric had also torn.

A trip out to the trash with a rule and a dial caliper revealed that the chair
leg material is 16 mm dia x 1 mm wall (0.63" x 0.04"). On my example, the
cross-braced legs under the seat yielded 160" in 10" lengths of 'straight',
unperforated tubing. (Additional material is available from the uprights for
the chair back.)

While my discarded chair was free, at $7 each, even new bag chairs (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/folding-bag-chair/988860) bear
consideration when the alternative is an interruption in the project until
material comes from a more conventional source.

A brief search suggests that tubing for other camp chairs measuring 7/8"
(22 mm) is also common.

Rosco-P
07-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Scrap pieces of EMT or IMC can be fished from the dumpster (skip) of a building construction site or interior demolition. Discarded display racks from stores, etc. yield square, round and rectangular tubing, sometimes of the telescoping variety, often chrome plated.

MrFluffy
07-27-2012, 03:07 PM
No parts of the animal are wasted... Older camping chairs are usually even heavier section materials, or better quality ones and getting old enough to have broken plastic and tatty appearance probably meant you had found a good one! Cheap ones tend to fail from the tubing itself collapsing.

I cut a tubular bed frame up into sections the other day just to place it on the rack, and in the corner of the barn is a ragbag of steel junk that might save the day one day.
I think its diagnosed as packratitis :)

Rustybolt
07-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Good to know Eddy.
I'll encourage my neighbor to buy some.

CCWKen
07-27-2012, 05:13 PM
He, he, he. That's not all you can use to scrounge stock tubing. I just used the frame from an old treadmill for some 1x2 rectangular tubing. ;)

Guido
07-27-2012, 08:40 PM
It's been almost four years now, but the political candidates will once again deliver/install their "vote for me" sign crap on every street corner.

I gloomed onto four of their better quality sign frames, cut them up, disposed of the signage itself, and the small, 1/2 x 1/2 inch angle and 3/4 x 1/8 inch steel bar supply has been most useful, thank you.

--G

vpt
07-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Yup, when you can't find it in your supplies you never know where you'll find the piece you need. Just need to look around. I found a 1.5x6" piece of solid mystery round stock stuck a mount in one of my cars once I assume for harmonics. It was turned into a nice fan/water pump/hydraulic shaft for a lawn mower a few months later. It was perfect size, I just had to clean it up and put a couple keyways in it.

vpt
07-27-2012, 09:40 PM
It's been almost four years now, but the political candidates will once again deliver/install their "vote for me" sign crap on every street corner.

I gloomed onto four of their better quality sign frames, cut them up, disposed of the signage itself, and the small, 1/2 x 1/2 inch angle and 3/4 x 1/8 inch steel bar supply has been most useful, thank you.

--G

Funny, I make up sign frames every now and then for local businesses. Many times I think what a waste of good material for a shortly used sign.

Arcane
07-27-2012, 09:47 PM
I've heard of guys going from traffic sign to traffic sign with a pipe cutter and a 1/2 ton truck...

Chester
07-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Politicals around here use signs, that are bags, stretched over a 3/16" wire hoop stuck in the ground. Really stiff wire, I always help with the clean-up of the loser's signs. (They ain't comin' back)

Watch for office waiting chairs, patio gazebos and chairs, hockey nets, exercise equipment and BBQs, etc. There is lots of good useable material out there, some with bends too!

Some of my stash...

http://i47.tinypic.com/14l7qeq.jpg

And, a couple of tubing projects...

http://i46.tinypic.com/i5vnmh.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/ev8j2x.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/21edtlh.jpg

JoeCB
07-28-2012, 12:05 AM
real high quality DOM steel tube with polished ID ... the gas strut tubes holding up your vehicle hatch back door... the ones I found are .738 OD X .056 wall. Use CAUTION when cutting open.
Joe B

davidh
07-28-2012, 11:32 AM
i too have "scrap" like mentioned above, all over my barn. wife sez i need to clean house and start scraping that "junk" and get the barn cleaned out. why ? i say, so there will be more room for more stuff ? ? ? ?

vpt
07-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I just so happen to be at a race track that was cutting out and throwing out all kinds of stainless hand railings around certain buildings of the track that were going to be changed. I was so happy! race car = metal hauler.

kbertoson
07-28-2012, 04:38 PM
I am happy I am not the only pack rat that collects chairs and other forms of tubing. Never know what you can do with it.

MrSleepy
07-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Every week I drive past the metal recycling bin at the local tip to dump my grass cuttings... Its metal bin is always full of tubing... bikes,old gym stuff ..those nice arced sections of trampolines etc...

but thanks to gypos .. (who take all they can and then leave the mess for tax payers to clean up..(when they wear out their welcome) the local tip operatives are not allowed to let you take anything away... They get fired if caught..

Rob

darryl
07-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I went to drop off a load at the dump once, and spotted an outboard motor there. I needed some right angle gears and I knew there was a set in there, so I asked the attendant if I could take it. He said something like 'what if you're heavier going out than coming in- it won't look good for me'. Of course I said something like 'would they have to pay me then?' He did a mental calculation and decided I would still be lighter going out, so he let me take it. They won't do that anymore though- it all has to go to some landfill somewhere.

TRX
07-30-2012, 08:05 AM
When I was a kid near Sacramento, the city (county?) dump separated out anything that looked useful and sold it in a big flea market operation to help offset their costs.

I thought it was a neat idea.

kbertoson
07-30-2012, 02:44 PM
The Flea Market was a good idea. Today there are too many fingers in the pie. Between lawyers, politicians, layers of government not to mention Department of Homeland Security. That scrap whatever may be made into something the many "I's" may not like or want anybody to have. Or heaven forbid reused so you have no need to buy more Chinese made junk.

kendall
07-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Every week I drive past the metal recycling bin at the local tip to dump my grass cuttings... Its metal bin is always full of tubing... bikes,old gym stuff ..those nice arced sections of trampolines etc...

but thanks to gypos .. (who take all they can and then leave the mess for tax payers to clean up..(when they wear out their welcome) the local tip operatives are not allowed to let you take anything away... They get fired if caught..

Rob

Used to have a friend who would take a load to the dump every Saturday, then hang out most of the day helping people unload their junk and toss any interesting bits in his truck.
There have been quite a few times that I've done the same when doing a dump run, don't hang out there but have no problem helping someone transfer usable stuff to my truck or trailer.

kendall
07-30-2012, 04:58 PM
The Flea Market was a good idea. Today there are too many fingers in the pie. Between lawyers, politicians, layers of government not to mention Department of Homeland Security. That scrap whatever may be made into something the many "I's" may not like or want anybody to have. Or heaven forbid reused so you have no need to buy more Chinese made junk.

It's like up here, the dumps charge you $10-$20 for appliances or large metal objects and require you to place them in a separate location, then have the local scrap yards come in to bid on it. Could never understand why there were so many appliances there when there are three close to the dump, and when you go to the dump you have to pass at least one from either direction. Even if they don't want to pay for them, it's better than paying $10-$20.

Strange thing is, they'll take trashed out boats for a flat fee that goes by length, $40 for a 17 footer, regardless of how full you have it packed with other stuff.

Dan Dubeau
07-31-2012, 12:18 PM
I just so happen to be at a race track that was cutting out and throwing out all kinds of stainless hand railings around certain buildings of the track that were going to be changed. I was so happy! race car = metal hauler.

Every weekend I go to the race track, there's at least 1 cheap EZ-UP canopy in the garbage. They don't last long in high wind situations, and the cheaper the canopy the quicker it twists up into a pretzel. They do provide a good source up lightweight square, and round tubing, and the legs are telescoping. I've picked up 5 of the things so far, and just keep tucking them away in the barn for future use. They're getting bulky now, so I won't grab anymore until I start using what I have. Passed on another one this past weekend.

2 rounds ago I help a guy pitted across from us put up a brand new canopy he got on sale for $100 on friday. 10-15 minutes later it was twisted up like a pretzel, and had managed to collapse, knock his pit bike over, and start dragging it away as the wind picked up. Took a few guys to get it under control. That night he went out an bought another one of the same. It too was in the garbage by sunday night.

vpt
07-31-2012, 12:25 PM
I can just imagine a welders/machinist gathering and everyone would be hanging around the dumpsters to see if anything can be used.