PDA

View Full Version : OT- Speaking of Ethanol Gas

rws
07-30-2012, 07:57 AM
I have a bottle of the old Staybil. I now see where the company is selling a product for "ethanol" gas. Is there that much difference between the two?

I like to keep about 25 gallons on hand, stored in 5 gallon cans.

sasquatch
07-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Maybe the "NEW" staybil has an ingredient in it to keep the corn juice from going "Mouldy".

What a CROCK of BS!! Beyond Stupidity.

firbikrhd1
07-30-2012, 08:58 AM
I use the StaBil that is for marine applications which is advertised to prevent the problems associated with ethanol in fuel. Marine outboard applications have a double dose of the problems associated with ethanol due to their humid environment, long terms between uses and use of hoses to move fuel around. The original red StaBil did not prevent phase separation nor the corrosion associated with ethanol. After a year of use the marine formula seems to be working as advertised and I've had none of the problems previously associated with ethanol. I use the marine formula StaBil in everything that will sit for any length of time between uses; lawn equipment, ATVs 2 and 4 cycle, chain saws and so on.
The marine formula product is a bit more expensive than the red original StaBil, but about 50% less is used to treat the fuel. The best solution would be no ethanol in fuel but barring that I'd say the marine formula works as advertised and certainly isn't a "crock".

vpt
07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't keep ethanol contaminated gas just stored in containers for any length of time.

kendall
07-30-2012, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't keep ethanol contaminated gas just stored in containers for any length of time.

Whenever I have to store ethanol gas for any length of time, I put it into a separate container, then add water and let it sit for a while. the water and ethanol combine and settle to the bottom, then I either pour the gas off, leaving the water or siphon the water out.

It seems to triple the time you can store gasoline, and I do the same to the last tank whenever I put the bikes or lawn equipment up for the winter, haven't had any trouble with spring starts since I began doing that.
Bikes also run much smoother on that last tank.